Car wash question

JBizz

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 vw golf tdi
What should I look into when taking my car in for a wash? Should I go for there polishing and waxing or just stick to the basic wash/wax.

My old car I didn't take good care of. I only washed it once a month and never did the whole detail and wax stuff.. So that area it totally new to me.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
once a month isn't all that bad - once a year is worse!

Personally, I like getting a full detail done once a year, with a wash every 2-3 weeks. The cars seem to stay nice with that pattern

pushgears

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 A3 TDI
Do Not Wash!

What's the secret for keeping that "new car look"? It's simple: Do Not Wash (in a commercial car wash, that is). Why? :confused:
Every time the car is improperly washed, micro and macroscopic scratches are introduced to the clear-coat, the plastic lenses, and the plastic trim. Over time, the net effect is a dulling of all surfaces. Even hand-waxing won't make the car look like new. Machine polishing to restore and correct the paint will be required.
Proper hand-washing as described on many detailing sites is the ONLY WAY to keep the paint and trim looking like new. Even allowing the winter salt and dirt to build up is better than driving into a commercial wash. If you must, go to a self-serve and hose it down, but put down the foam brush.:eek:
I have gone entire winters with no more than an infrequent hose-down. I wasn't sure if this was a good idea:confused:, but I think it was.:) People still tell me that my daily driver 2012 A3 which is parked outside and loves to go skiing still looks like new. This is why;)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I know car washes are popular in SoCal, but pushgears is right. Wash it yourself. The only time my car goes to a commercial wash is when it's covered with road salt and it's too cold (below freezing) to hand wash it here in New England. Don't think you ever encounter that. These cars aren't that big, and you can wash it yourself in less time than it takes to go to a wash and you'll save money. If you don't have a place to wash the car I bet you can find a do-it-yourself car wash.

Get some good car care products including a good detailer spray and the car will look better and last longer. I'm also a big believer in a detail once a year or so, but that's partly because I'm too lazy to clay bar and wax my cars myself.

ROD-TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 Golf S TDI 6-speed, 2017 Tiguan Limited, 2015 Golf R DSG/DCC/NAV.
About car washes and paint protection

Having maintained a 1983 BMW E28 for 31 years since new, I would avoid all car washes! I have personally examined and competed against many vehicles over the decades and those that were exposed to car washes and poor paint protection typically show paint damage, after only a few years. Hand wash your car and use a top quality wax and your car has a chance. I don't know how well current paint products will last, but the original paint on my my BMW, shown here last year when I sold it, put most 3-5 year old cars to shame and had the BMW concours competition awards to prove it. I fully intend to use the same process and products on my 2015 Golf TDI when it arrives next week.

http://www.mye28.com/tech/rods_pages/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/bmw_10-15-11a.jpg

warbird24

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
On the other hand.....

I use a Random orbital buffer on mine twice a year. Full light cut, full polish and wax with a good high quality carnuba base wax. I also use a Claybar to remove contaminates when needed. A white plastic bumper should NOT have rust specs on it!

Here again, it is the conditions I drive in, in upstate NY. Lost of road salt, lots of potholes and then this summer 90% of the roads I have driven on have been repaved, so lots of tars, dust and things that stick to the paint.

My TDI with over 62,000 miles, never been garaged, looks as good as the day I picked it up from Chris. I do have some wear marks on the seats, but that is fair. The body work is fabulous and the paint really pops for a White car.

Just find what works for YOU, and stick with it. I personally enjoy auto detailing and have improved my skills over the years. I never take my cars to a touch style car wash. No bristles or soft cloth auto carwashes at all. Man some of those places have some nasty rusty cars that go through them!

Korab

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 golf TDI SEL 6MT w/ lighting and driver assistance package
how do you guys feels about the no touch automatic laser washes?

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
how do you guys feels about the no touch automatic laser washes?
No touch meaning the car just gets sprayed with soap and water? No brushes used on surface? If that is an accurate description of what happens it is better than nothing. However to remove surface contamination some sort of brushing or hand pressure is needed.

The problem with car washes that use brushes is that add swirls to your paint's surface. This bothers some people. I detail my car using DAPC buffer, etc, but I still run my car thru a car wash in the winter to get rid of road crud.

Korab

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 golf TDI SEL 6MT w/ lighting and driver assistance package
correct - no touch at all - just soap and water and other chemicals. Its better than nothing, but not ideal. It is great for getting salt off the car in the winter.

warbird24

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
The Lazer wash around the corner from me uses high pressure and some really different soaps. If warm enough, I use some of the Detail sprays from Griot's as soon as I get home. This wash is right around the corner from me. It is far from a perfect wash, but it is well enough in the dead of Winter.

whiplash willy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 4-Door Golf TDI 6MT w/NAV & Sunroof
This thread may make you feel differently about Automatic Car washes.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/85471-automatic-car-wash-yuck.html

Also, you shouldn't have to polish a new car, but most dealeships don't know how to properly care for automotive paint and will damage it with their prep services. The dealership I bought my golf from actually has their own car wash they send their new cars through, while minimum wagers use a dirty broom to scratch the heck out of the surface (in attempt to remove dirt)