Car shudders like crazy after new motor mount. Please advise!

veryhumid

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
My cold starts have always been a bit harsh, timing is okay, etc. I thought a dogbone/pendulum motor mount would help some of this. I bought a VF Engineering part. Installation was fine, and I could tell the stock one was either shot or just wimpy to start with. However when I first started my car it started shaking! Very strong vibrations though the whole front end (the engine not moving very much). After getting it back on the ramps I shut it off and it's there right now. I noticed the passenger side motor mount seems to be broken. Is this the cause of the terrible shaking and I didn't notice before because the old dogbone was so flexible?

Please advise. I don't even see how this would be fixed...

EDIT: read a bit through some searches and it sounds like anything with poly shakes a lot. Is this bad for anything? I think I could deal as long as I take the change out of my ash tray :D

Last edited:

cage

Top Post Dawg
You obviously bought this car used no?
At some point the engine fell due to engine mount bolts breaking. That's how the piece got broken out of the block.
If you got a stiff dogbone then you will get more vibration in the car. If your engine starts hard as you say then that shaking will be transmitted into the car rather than absorbed by the dogbone.

veryhumid

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
yeah I did buy this car used. It was actually totaled and my grandfather repaired it for me (Only body work, though.) I'll check around for the how-to. Thanks, guys.