Car- 4cyl 4-Dr Sedan VW JETTA TDI 2006 1.9 liter diesel BRM DSG- LOSS OF POWER ISSUE

Philip B.

TDI
4cyl 4-Dr Sedan VW JETTA TDI 2006 1.9 liter diesel BRM DSG TRANSMISSION
Hello,

About Me: New here, recently been working on my VW on my own due to cost efficiency and learning how to do my own stuff. Due to me being a noobie working on the car that I may have f***** up, that's why I am here.

Problems before my Maintenance on the car-
It had a previous code of p02015 but it was saying passive/sporadic and the scan gauge picked it up as an old code, i do not know if the code is still active, hasnt appeared again.
Also code 1725:001 was trans fluid pressure low-upper limit exceeded passive sporadic, code hasn't appeared again since fluid change.

Engine does have rough idling in park and in neutral like a massage chair it comes and goes like a sputter but really soft little back and forth feeling.
Recently its gotten little colder like 40F and it will have a hard start some mornings and others not, it has random days.

I recently did an all out car maintenance on my VW
Done all by watching YouTube, viewers discretion is advised
-replaced a wobbly passenger cv axle
-replaced old break fluid with new with a simple pump and gauge.
-changed motor oil and filter, checked and recheck level its between min and max
-changed transmission oil and oil filter using the "temperature check option" with scan gauge (car does not have temperature gauge on dash for tranny -_-) and letting the access drain, it was on level ground on jacks.

-I also thought it would be a good idea to take the coupling off connecting the straight pipe to my CATTY CONVERTOR, thinking it would let the engine breath better and better performance since I will never need an emissions test any ways where I am at. So I had the straight pipe just kind of hanging there with it zip tied to the bottom frame of the car while the catty was just hanging there as well just not connected to the straight pipe running up to the engine block, I do have an EGR system and a metal box looking thing coming right off engine block connected to the exhausts system pipe not sure if that's the noX filter or what just fyi for need on information.
(Catty convertor comes after the straight pipe so its the flex hose the straight pipe then the catty which is right kind of in the middle underneath the car then the muffler box, so not to confuse how it is connected. )

Problem: After all that, I took it on a test drive and it ran smooth no hiccups transmission shifted like butter and engine felt like it had more power and torque. Couple days later I started to a notice a loss of power from the engine going 80 mph on the freeway, the engine would not go past 80 when I had my foot to the floor and RPMs were up, I had to let off the gas and press the gas 1/3 of the way to get above 80, weird.

Well it got even weirder as the days went on, transmission will shift fine through all gears, engine runs fine and trans temperature never gets above 200F driving unless I'm in park for awhile.
However, any time I press the pedal to the metal RPMS will rev up to 4000 never higher and 1-4 gear will not shift out of those gears to the next gear under any hard acceleration and the speedometer will barley continue to climb up until I let off the gas a little and again press the gas pedal 1/3 of the way in will it shift and accelerate like nothing happened and continue on. Any acceleration has to be under 2500 rpms or it will sputter and it will feel like the engine is choking or the trans isn't transferring. It isn't until 6th gear that the rpms will go over 2500, so it will accelerate under low pressure from the gas pedal like enough pressure to keep the car accelerating just really slowly. it even got up to 100 mph just fine, again under very slow acceleration :)

UPDATE: I reconnected CATTY CONVERTOR to the exhaust system, all I did was put the coupling back on (I didn't unplug anything or any o2 sensors if the 2006 has any) and tightened it and it seems to be doing a little bit better, I also grabbed one can of sea foam and dumped that in there just in case, the RPMS have gotten to 2800 in 1-4 gear, still wont go over 4000 RPMs and it will still sputters/ shakes when giving it to much gas to accelerate harder, also still wont shift out of high gears if I give it to much gas or floor it.
It down shifts fine no problem with that

Any solutions or idea to my own demise, i have read a lot on here and other sites hoping its not my trans having worn gears and need to replace the whole thing. I see hopes for fuel filter, MAF, fuel injectors, spark plugs, coil pack, EGR valve, turbo issue ect. Any leads or hints?

Last edited:

Rx7145

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM
How’s the cam/lifters?
May want to try the zip tie mod to see if that helps.