Capistrano VW GTG aftermath.

First D

Veteran Member
Whew! These past few days have been a whirlwind for me starting with the GTG. Lots of errands and then training and entertaining some out of towners at work for 2 days. Finally getting my energy back!

Seems like everybody had a good time. Still don't know exactly how many people attended, I think it was somewhere between 15 and 18. A great turnout.

Send me an e-mail if you are interested in being Upsoluted. I'm probably going to have it done sometime in the next couple of months...local Upsolute rep Lanny is in Chino Hills.

Norman

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf GLS, '03 Wagon GL
So...were there any other pics to ooh and aah over, or should we toss out the next date for our AllCal GTG?

peter pyce

Veteran Member
Guys, little bit more patience .... Picture's server is runing, but they had to reset everything, so everyone needs to "subscribe" again ... I did it yesterday and still waiting for the account to be activated ..yeah, is not like last time. So, according to them I will get my authorization sometime soon, which I hope is tonight ..... Then I will put all the pictures from mine and Barbara's camera ....

BTW, I count the people on the group picture, we were about 23-24, not too sure whether nobody was hiding behind the people I can see ....

peter

nuke

Veteran Member
Mileage from trip return:

Aprox 41-42mpg on the return. Hard to say exactly because I vented on the return, but not on the subsequent fillup last night. I calculated 42.7 ( best ever
) and need to take out about 1 gallon for venting.

The car has managed to consume about 3-4 ounces of motor oil in its first 4700 miles of life. Not bad or anything to be concerned over, but it might indicate my rings haven't quite seated in yet.

I will say though, it seems noticeably smoother and peppy since all the high-speed driving on the trip. Fueled up on the usual Rotten Robbie stuff and it still is the same as the Chevron on the way back.

My Vag Com is now assembled and registered. Scored an obsolete fujitsu pen tablet computer with all the goodies to run it on. Even has a car adaptor and a good battery. That 100mhz AMD586 just screams too!

Peter, if you want to resize the photos I took that's cool. Feel free. I should download iPhoto and play with it some too.

TDITGA

Peter: Muchos thanks for all of the trouble you are going through to get the photos uploaded.

All: I emailed my thanks and the group photo to Miles at Capo VW. He planned on sharing it with all of his staff at the dealership.

I agree with First D's new thread that this dealership is going to get all of my VW business (and it's about 160 miles from Ridgecrest!).

Norman

Veteran Member
TDI
Right on, Tim! I'd give them all my business too, except I'd have to block off weekends just to get there and back..

Anyway, I found this little tidbit over on The Other Forum That Shall Not Be Mentioned:

http://gezuvor.com/events/next_event.asp

VW Driver School used this track for their West Coast event last year and it's a nice track to drive on. This is an easy run for the SoCal folks, so perhaps some of you might be interested in spanking some VW gassers.

smart drive

TDI
'97 Passat, Storm Gray
Kudos to Capistrano VW for hosting and to Eric (FirstD) for getting this started. It was great to see so many TDIs in one spot in California.
As to the Pahrump weekend, I've been to the two events that Rich (Gezuvor) has organized. The last time I had my Passat and my Beetle GLX. The Passat won the smile factor hands down! If you have the chance to go, do it.

[ January 10, 2002: Message edited by: smart drive ]</p>

peter pyce

Veteran Member
Finally we have pictures! All these are provided by Barbara, I just resized everything as we do not want Fred's server to blow-up like Steve's turbo
..... If anyone wants a copy for printing, e-mail me, so I will send you the "big picture" ..... Enjoy!

...Ok, the maximum images you can put on the new server is 7 per posting ..... so, we continue below....

TDI J'ta

Veteran Member
TDI
2K1 Blk Jetta GLS 5-spd
Hi all,

Most excellent!

Peter, thanks for posting the pics and Barbara, thank you for taking them. You really got a good overview of the GTG...the TDIs, the gang, and of the Tech session. What type of camera did you use?

-Ray

Norman

Veteran Member
TDI
Steve, I think there were more than a few folks (me included) who were kinda bummed you couldn't make it. Maybe next time. But, I did notice that you set up that red NB nicely for the next owner by putting the TDI badge on the back

Barbara, thanks for the great pics...as Tim pointed out, there does seem to be a certain Cosmic Green NB in most of the outdoor pics..hmmm

First D

Veteran Member
If I counted correctly there were 21 owners and 1 soon to be owner...that is an IMPRESSIVE GTG!

[ January 10, 2002: Message edited by: First D ]

[ January 11, 2002: Message edited by: First D ]</p>

Jackmc

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagen
Hey First, did you count Gassin' Gerhard behind Scott (stealth TDI)? Plus, don't forget Barbara taking the picture.

Jack

TDITGA

SteveS: I was really admiring the Red Beetle TDI, especially the TDI badge on it

rmwong: Barbara has a Sony DSC-S75 digital camera. I really wanted her to also get a couple of short MPEG movie clips as the camera is capable of this (incl. sound) but maybe next time.

peter pyce

Veteran Member
Eric ..... I will be donw in LA area the week after 20 Jan, and by that time I will have 10K miles, so I was thinking to go and do the 10K service in Capistrano ..... Could you provide me with a phone number and full name of the person to call for appontment as I lost the name cars I got from them ...... if you want we can even see each other while I am there

peter

First D

Veteran Member
Peter,

Just sent you the info. E-mail me before you come down here and I'll see if I'm available. I may have new wheels on the car when you get here...I'm trying to get some 17" Daytona New Beetle wheels...

Eric

peter pyce

Veteran Member
As promised ..... more pictures from Capistrano GTG! Hope Fred's server will hold the boost

peter pyce

Veteran Member

Well, I have big pictures of everyone's car during the Ortega hwy drive, so there are just 10, so in case one of you who attended that drive, let me know if you want to have your car from back 3/4 view and I will e-mail it to you as I do not want to load the server too much....

peter

[ January 12, 2002: Message edited by: pyce ]</p>

Norman

Veteran Member
TDI
Ahh, all those TDIs...makes me want to jump on I-5 and start driving again!

Eric, I hope you don't mind my asking, but how many wheels are you getting?! Are you trying to put a different wheel style on each corner of your wagon??!

First D

Veteran Member
I really want to keep a set of 16" and a set of 17". Sell the stock wheels. The only problem with that scenario is that you're not supposed to use chains with the 16" wheels. Not that I really go to the snow, but there might be that one time...

peter pyce

Veteran Member
Eric... in case you need to drive with chains, let me know, I will give you my 15" stock wheels, I keep them for the same reason ....