Capistrano VW GTG aftermath.

Jackmc

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagen
Sure was fun meeting all of you guys. Did Steve ever show from 29 palms?

Anyway, I was kind of surprised to see t-shirts from the first fest there plus a few were sporting their Utah fest shirts.

Miles was very gracious with the hospitality he offered us and the tech session with Bobby showing us the way was informative as well.

I hope we can do this again.

Hey! Post those pictures guys!

JasonMc

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Jetta GL
Hey Jack,

Steve was not able to make it. I was looking forward to meeting him too. Oh well. Maybe next time. That was great to meet some of the folks on here. We will have to have another one of these in the future. Maybe next time I will have my TDI there.

SteveS

Veteran Member
TDI
00 NB automatic TDI
Hats off to Eric for taking the leadership and initiative to make this one happen. Old Steve really wanted to be there too, I even had intersection signs & name tags made, but this was one of those days that I had trouble. I always think I can function as if I weren't physically limited, but then reality sets in. Oh well, I'm anxious to hear all about it. How many were there? Tell all, well, at least what the law will allow...

Jackmc

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagen
I don't know if anyone got a head count but just looking around I think there were at least 25+. The lunch tables sat eight people and three were filled and a few at other tables.

It was fun to see Gassin's car with all the mods he's done to it and Scott had his show car there too.

Capo VW gave us all some very nice Tshirts and had a couple of those party size sandwiches with chips and sodas for all. They really were great.

They gave us all an excellent how to on the 5K service plus the technician took a little extra time to show us some other little tricks he does and preventive things to watch out for. I especially thought his no cost coolant migration fix was great. He suggested drilling a small hole on the bottom side and outside of the o ring where the wire harness connects to the coolant bottle. Then if you see a trickle of coolant you know that it's time to replace the orings instead of the first sign being electrical problems from coolant seeping into the main harness.

Several took pictures so I hope we'll see those soon.

[ January 05, 2002: Message edited by: Jackmc ]</p>

fatpump

Veteran Member
Hey everybody!

I too had a great time... it was a lot of fun seeing everybody's ride, and meeting everybody. I wish that more of "everybody" had a chance to show up. We'll have to do that again.

I also apreciated the chance to try an Upsoluted car...THANKS A LOT...now my car feels slow.

Thanks also to First D and the folks at Capistrano VW, who plied us with pepsi and in general were perfect gentlemen.

TDITGA

It was a great day at Capo VW. Barbara and I enjoyed meeting you all and I agree the folks at Capo were great to host us. The pictures are being downloaded from the camera tomorrow so stay tuned! We'll try to post them "post-haste" (Ugh!). If for some reason I can't figure it out (w/in a couple of minutes) I fess up and ask for help!

PS. 395 was blocked off in Adelanto so we had to backtrack to 18/138 and go though Palmdale to get back to Ridgecrest (which is my excuse for not getting to the pictures tonight!). Take care all.

peter pyce

Veteran Member
Well ..... First of all, thanks Steve, Eric and all the people from Capistrano VW...very well done!

The San Francisco Bay Area train of six VWs just arrived save and sound and I guess by this time everyone is at home. We had really good traffic after LA and the drive was just pleasure. We managed to out-smoke every car on the highway, specially on the hills on I-5 after LA

It was very nice to put some faces behind the nick names I see on this forum. After the lunch and after playing with the VAG-COM, ten of us went for a drive on Ortega Hwy and that was fun, at least for me, as I was driving Kevin's car with the magic Shine suspension package..... something I would reccomend to everybody! I have some pictures, but the forum's picture server is kind of down right now, so I could not put them here ... I will try again later.

There are lots of things I would like to say, but is 2.30 am, so we continue tomorrow.....

I think Barbara took way more pictures than me, so I will let her post first all those from the party at the dealership and the group picture, and then I will add some take when she was not around......

Thanks to everybody for sharing the knowledge and experince. I had great time and wish we can do this more often

peter

nuke

Veteran Member
I got in late to the GTG, but still had a great time. Capistrano VW was a gracious host for the event and looks like they really have their act together. Someone I'd definitely give first shot at my VW business. I took advantage of their discount offer and picked up a new CD changer for the trunk. It was real nice on the 400 mile drive back home.
Couldn't keep my foot off the accelerator when the Lynyrd Skynyrd CD came up.

Had a great time and I'm going to get a set of those walkie-talkies. Nice to meet so many of you and see you again from the mini-GTG last month in Mountain View.

More to come later, I'm beat!

Here's a few pix from the drive. Warning, very big images, about 1M each.

http://homepage.mac.com/larrysb/TDI_Capo_GTG/DSC00001.JPG

http://homepage.mac.com/larrysb/TDI_Capo_GTG/DSC00006.JPG

http://homepage.mac.com/larrysb/TDI_Capo_GTG/DSC00008.JPG

http://homepage.mac.com/larrysb/TDI_Capo_GTG/DSC00011.JPG

Norman

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf GLS, '03 Wagon GL
I too enjoyed meeting you all; 'always cheers me up when I plow through the forums and read some of the "stuff" that's in them (esp. that Misc. forum), and then I meet the real people that show for the GTGs. They're some of the best people that you'd want to hang out with, and maybe even go for a drive..
Anyway, thanks go out to Eric (FirstD) for driving this GTG, Capistrano VW for their outstanding hospitality, and all the rest of you for making the drive to SJC a great experience.

'Can't wait to see more pics ! (hint,hint, wink, wink
)

Norman
'00 Golf GLS
Candy White

GassinGerhard

Veteran Member
Yup, big fun. More pictures, please. Capistrano VW = class act. As good as Cutrubus, if not better.(They paid for the food and gave us free tee shirts.) I'm tired.

Drive fast and take chances!

kwhiner

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf GLS Silver
Well the slow boat to Reno as finally arrived after finding the detour over to Mojave and up CA 14, and then a 6 hr knap at the VW Hotel. Got into town just after 10am. Great GTG, thx to all, Capistrano VW, Eric, and Norman for the camping spot on the beach, couldn't have been any better. Guess DTY and I really have something to live up to now for a GTG in Reno this spring.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Hi,

I can't believe you SFBA guys weren't too tired to log on after getting home at 2am. Actually, I got home at 1:20am. But I was BEAT!

Normally after attending a function like this, my wife asks, "Did you have fun?" I usually say "Yes" just to indicate that I didn't have a BAD time. But this was different. I had a blast! The FRS radios really made the trip to by... Hey, I'm a technoweenie and get into that stuff. But it was much better than driving in relative silence.

Peter - hopefully my car will not be loaded next time. We'll see how that affects the 70-100 sprint. I still think it was your aerodynamics. My CARTEST.EXE program doesn't work in XP; so I can't verify that the CD of my A3 Jetta is 0.35. But I think it is. For those who don't know, Peter and I did a 70-100 top gear sprint. We accelerated identically to about 90-mph, then he started to inch ahead. I think aerodynamics took over. We'll see next time!

The guys at Capo VW were great. Hope to do it again sometime. But, hopefully, the next GTG will be a little closer.

BTW, dinner at Harris Ranch was awesome! I'll have to take the wife there next time we head down that way.

Take Care and See You Soon!

peter pyce

Veteran Member
This post may not be that interest for many of you, but I think some may find it interesting....

On the way back to the bay area, we had little traffic and the road was for us. So, we all had radios and played some games...let's call them experiments. We tried to compare different TDIs with different modes on 70-100 mph pick-up in 5-th gear..... Well, all this is not numbers, no dyno, just visual comparison, but it gives an idea for those of you interested in modes......

So, basically we put the cars parallel and set the cruise at 70..... gave few seconds for the speed to stabilize and then somebody gives the GO on the radio....so, here are some results:

Golf Stock with about 4K miles on it vs. A4 Jetta Upsolute, 225 tires, 7K miles, no other mods .......The Jetta pulled away with ease almost immediately after hitting the go pedal, even if it was not that dramatic. Anyway, by building up the speed was better and better.....

A3 Jetta Upsolute and straight pipe exhaust, about 130 K miles with full trunk vs. same A4 Jetta as above ....... between 70 and 90 mph, there was NO difference even an inch....... after that the A4 started pulling away, but by very little bit, almost insignificant......

Golf Upsolute & Tuning Box vs. same A4 Jetta as above ...... The Golf pulled away with ease, but it was not really like flying away. It was almost exactly like between the stock and the Upsolute....at least this was what my eyes were telling me......

I may not be that precise, but for what I saw, I would say that whatever the Chip gives to a stock is almost what the Box gives to the Chip..... Of course, we must also say that smoking with Box & Chip is way more than double than just Chip. On the way to SJC we all got very similar fuel consumption, between 47.3 and 48 mpg (among Stock, Upsolute & Upsolute + Box)..... I will refuel today, so later will post my consumption on the way back, which will definitely be more as we had more fun coming back....

Then we did something else...... Norman was driving at steady 70 mph on cruise control and I put my car slowly behind his, being separated by just few inches...almost bumper to bumper....... This does not happen every day to be that close, so it was very interesting for me to notice that I had to release my go pedal almost by half once I was that close ..... ALL wind noises were gone, my car got so quiet, so I was able to hear only my engine (at that speed I can't hear my engine otherwise).........

I thought some of you may find all this interesting .....we had fun

peter

[ January 06, 2002: Message edited by: pyce ]</p>

TDITGA

pyce:

I emailed all of Barbara's pictures to you. When the server comes back up could you post them for us? Thanks much. Tim and Barbara

peter pyce

Veteran Member
Tim & Barbara ..... I got 7 e-mails from you, but only one of them had pictures in it .... the rest (1/6 to 6/6) were with rich text attachment, instead of pictures..... I sent you back a note about this, but guess you did not get it yet. Anyway, try to e-mail everything in the way you did it in the e-mail with subject: 2-ND CAPO VW ... that is the only one I got right.

Of course, once I get everything and the server is up, I will put everything here. It will be pleasure

peter

Jackmc

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagen
Peter,

On a trip to Roswell and back this past summer, Vanman and I did some of the same performance tricks you guys did on your trip and found the same thing.

At 80mph we both hit the go button and his upsoluted car pulled ahead right away and left me back about 12 car lengths by the time we hit 120 then we both stayed the same distance apart for almost 20 minutes at that speed.

BTW, we both have silver NBs except that his is stick and mine's an auto.

Norman

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf GLS, '03 Wagon GL
Hey, Peter (Dude!
)

Here's another data point for you to play around with; my total mileage for this weekend was 917.9 miles, with consumption at 19.4 gal. for an overall of 47.3mpg. Not bad, considering the speeds we were traveling at. Here's a closer breakdown:

Southbound:
443.4mi@9.1gal= 48.7mpg
Speed generally set to an indicated 77mph (~75mph true)

Northbound:
474.5mi@10.3gal= 46.1mpg
Speed generally set to an indicated 80-85mph.

I'm pretty sure there's a tailwind going southbound, too.

peter pyce

Veteran Member
... The Forum's picture server is still down, so no pictures for the moment...... Let's hope by the end of the day it will be OK

Kevin, Alan ....looking forward for high speed tailing in the desert
Hope we can get the same numebr of people and even more .... and to spend more than just few hours together....

peter

kwhiner

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf GLS Silver
Norman,

Saw your mileage post thought I would add mine at least for the outbound leg. Total mileage 1116 RT. Out bound leg plus 2 runs of the Ortega and back as far as US 395-I15 junction 649.4/13.88gals 46.71mpg, first approx 250 mi @ 70 remainder @ 70-100. Return leg haven't refueled yet, but 467 from refuel back to Reno with venting just below 1/2 tank guestimation close to 50 mpg @ 70 on cruise. Are TDI's amazing or what.

peter pyce

Veteran Member
Well, I guess all those 70-100 did not help much on the way back..... refueled this morning and the result was 43.15 mpg ...... I guess the FATH (Norman
) tires ar enot helping either......

Anyway, call me crazy, but I found Denver guys are having GTG on 19-20 Jan, two weeks from now. I will be having little holiday that time, so I am planing to drive there
I read Drivebiwire will be there, performing few timing belt changes, so I guess it will be interesting. I have never been out of CA, so I guess would be really nice to have few days drive throught the mountians.......

So, the question for those living on my way to Denver ...... what road shall I take? I do not mind using two different roads going and ocming back as I want to see as muchas I can ..... Is anyone of you on my way, so I can stop and say hi? What is the diesel quality in Nevada, Utah and COlorado..which diesel stations shall I use, so I can get better fuel? ..... I guess I will do it in two days as 1250 miles is hard for one shot, so, any place you could reccomand to stay during the night at about half way, maybe closer to Denver? .....

Any answer will be greatly appreciated

peter

peter pyce

Veteran Member
Reading on FAQs that osmebody hacked the picture's server, so now they are taking care of that ...... Server will be up by tomorrow (Tue), so pictures from the GTG will follow ....

GassinGerhard

Veteran Member
Peter, depending on what time of day you're gonna leave, I'd take US Highway 50 to Interstate 70 during the day and Interstate 80 to US Highway 40 at night. They say US Highway 50 is the loneliest highway in America, but you can really haul ass. The vistas along this route are incredible as well. Get a decent radar detector before you go (if you don't already have one).

peter pyce

Veteran Member
Scott...the photo of your break light turn very well and Larry posted it here, but I guess the pix are too big and maybe not many of you can "download" them ..... I just got all the pix from Barbara, so there are some 30-40 pix together with mine, but the server will be up only tomorrow (hope) so I wull put them then.

Larry, do you want me to download your pictures from here and resize them and put them back tomorrow together with mine, so everyone could see them better?

Gary, thanks for the tip! I will be leaving very early in the morning, stop in Reno to have cup of coffe with Kevin and then continue through the desert. I will take your advise and will try to use the first on the way there and the second on the way back....

[ January 07, 2002: Message edited by: pyce ]</p>

nuke

Veteran Member
You know I didn't manage to take one of it illuminated. I should have, my sony camera takes great close ups like that.

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Stealth TDI:
Nuke,

Did any of the ILLUMINATED photos of my brake light turn out well?

Scott
<hr></blockquote>

Denton T. Young

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL TDI
Northbound mileage:

642.9 miles/13.946 gal = 46.1 mpg

Peter,
You might need snow chains when crossing the mountains. I'm not sure if you have enough clearance with your tire/wheel combo. The manual says chains are not recommended with the 16"+ wheels.

TDI J'ta

Veteran Member
TDI
2K1 Blk Jetta GLS 5-spd
Hi CA/NV TDIers!

I really enjoyed meeting everyone (at least most of you) at the GTG. Miles/Capo VW was really hospitable in welcoming all the TDIClub members!

First-D (Eric), thanks again for arranging the GTG and also giving-up the splash guard and saving me a trip.

This was my first GTG and it was great to see so many TDIs at one place and also see firsthand some of the "mods" that have been done to several of the TDIs. Stealth...I wish I had more time to hear about your TDI mods, but you & Peter were quite busy with the VAG-COM).

kwhiner, thanks for the little test-drive in your Upsoluted Golf. I definitely felt the difference in acceleration
and pedal response in comparison to my stock Jetta.

Unfortunately, I had to leave early and missed out on the run through Ortega Hwy.

Looking forward to seeing the pics and everyone again!

-Ray

[ January 07, 2002: Message edited by: rmwong ]</p>

peter pyce

Veteran Member
Thanks Alan ...... I am waiting for some letters from that area, so I will know how much snow is there around the time I will go through ..... but it will be very good idea to put back my stock wheels & tires.......

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Hi,

Filled up today after the northbound drive. Including the 85-mph cruise and a few runs to 90/100, my mileage was 41.6-mpg. It's been better, but it's still better than another of the other VW engines out there.

Scott