can't adapt my instruments

binky973

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta
i want to add a couple of fobs, i can read my instruments, but as soon as i login and try to adapt it looses communication. i used to be able to do adaptations. i recently did a 5spd swap, could the lack of TCM cause the instruments to bug?

binky973

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta
if i try without login it doesn't do anything. i use the login in the vcds prompt, 13861, i think.

jef@rosstech

Associate Ross-Tech Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 Dog hauling, wood towing, pinball stashing Jetta wagon
There are different types of logins, depending on what function one is trying to perform.

In general the value of 13861 is used to enable Adaptation for when doing an odometer of a new cluster.

When doing a key Adaptation, you need to have the PIN for that given Immobilizer which will vary from car to car. Doing the Login with that PIN enables the Adaptation for key matching.

VCDS does not decode PINs for the Immobilizer. I would suggest to get an automotive locksmith to decode the PIN, once you have it, you can then use VCDS to do key matching.

Bob, the 11223 is pretty common for TDI ECMs, but not related to OP's concern.

binky973

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta
ya, I have the original skc but it doesn't work, guess i'll try renting a vag tacho

jef@rosstech

TDI
ya, I have the original skc but it doesn't work, guess i'll try renting a vag tacho
The SKC was a value that changed daily and with dealer location... what makes you think you have it?

binky973

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta
i have the original skc tag and printout from when the car was bought new. it has the skc 4 digit code and a 7 digit printout that doesn't work either.

jef@rosstech

TDI
i have the original skc tag and printout from when the car was bought new. it has the skc 4 digit code and a 7 digit printout that doesn't work either.
There was a brief time where some of those black key tags would have the PIN printed on them, behind a "scratch and win" thing. It was done for maybe 1 year if that as I recall, and I don't think every car had it.

The SKC was a 7 digit value, not 4, and was a generated value based on 3 variables:

1. The actual PIN.
  2. The date the SKC was generated.
  3. The dealer's Workshop Code the SKC was generated for.

There is no way to for the factory to know what the SKC would be because they don't know what dealer would need the info, or what day they would need it on.

IMHO... the SKC is dead and has been for over 10 years now. Never speak of it again... EVER.

Long and short of it, the key tag doesn't have any helpful information on it. Contact a good automotive lock smith have see about meeting him/her up somewhere and getting the pin pulled.