Can U get less than sticker om '6 Jetta TDI?

route66

TDI
'06 Jetta pkg1 plat. gray/gray int.
Hello all,

I went and drove some new '06 Jetta TDIs today here in the Phoenix area. I went to several dealers. It seems that sticker is about all they are willing to do on these cars. I drove both the stick and the auto, and liked the auto very much. With the traffic I sit in here in Phoenix it's the right choice, and it adds about $1K over the stick.

I found one I liked ('06, Package 1 with gray interior and Platinum exterior) for sticker, which was $24,910 ($22,680 base + $630 destination + $1600 pkg 1).

My question is, can I do better than this? They don't seem to be putting any pressure on me, and most dealers in town are tacking on a premium of ~$3K over this price. I parted ways with them today (on good terms) but they were not hounding me as I would have expected.

Should I bargain harder, or is this "as good as it gets" :D

TDIrapin

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI w/ DSG
I would certainly try my darndest, but if your experience is anything like mine you won't get far. Good luck!

route66

TDI
Thanks, I stepped away from the table at 2 separate dealers and that usually gets some action on price reductions, but no go here. Compared with pricing on used units 1-2 yrs old, I have a hard time making a case for not buying new and getting the full warranty.

BTW - sorry for the typo on the subject line ;)

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
About the Auto Vs Manual behind the TDI. The auto will cost you more up front, but typically get you less in resale since manual transmissions get better mileage than the auto.

Just something to look into when deciding.

route66

TDI
Thanks whitedog, I just know I'll get tired of a stick real quick with our commutes here in Phoenix. I would rather have the stick, but traffic is just too brutal here.

BTW: the autos are actually rated higher (HWY) for the 06's than the manuals, which surprised me (42 MPG vs. 41MPG). City was a little less for the auto vs. the stick, but not much (~ 2 MPG).

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
BY auto you are talking about the DSG? My bad. I have heard that it gets a bit better mileage.

Steve-o

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
You might try going through your credit union (if you belong to one) or something like an "employee club" or fraternal organization to which you belong. Sometimes they have deals with local dealers or dealership chains which will give you a better price. Many times you'll need to deal with a "fleet rep" or such. It's worth a try -- it certainly won't cost you more than you're looking at paying now.

WEBDZL

Veteran Member
Just off the N.W.Ramp of the allmost finished 101
TDI
Golf,2004,red
In 04 I had to pay msrp,in 05 we only paid 200.00 over invoice and then got a 1000.00 form VW of america for owner loyalty back,paid way to much for 2 used ones for my two kids,and now the 04 trade in for a 06 pkg #1 for only msrp again,so the market price the price of fuel the amount of cars the dealer is going to recieve the rest of the modle year and of course the BIG no TDIs for 07 has realy not helpng the price we going to pay for the next while,But my 04 red golf 5speed GLS just hit there used car lot and it does look good!!!:cool:Also with the size of the valley it take a good day or 2 to visit the dealers and see what they have and what the feel is on what they are willing to do about selling price ,only compare the factory msrp and not there dealer add on window price!!!!!Also need to remember that the TDI is a car you can take care of and drive for a long long time,or has a very good resale value if you decide to sell before you wear it out"havvent seen one of those yet hehe"pm if you want to chattt about it.

Last edited:

4JimmyVee

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Silver
Two members of my family just bought a new car 1 a Honda the other a Mazda they both did it the way. So here's how to buy a new car from a dealership.

1st: Go to the brands web site and build the car you want. Pick all the options, colour, engine what ever. Also copy the local dealers email addresses.
2nd: Go to a dealership and test drive your car, provide the dealership as little info as possible do not tip them off that this is the car you want to buy. You are just triing out some cars, to make sure . If possible do not provide you name. DO NOT SIT DOWN WITH SALES PERSON.
3rd: Search in the net for the acutual dealer cost. In general the cost should be 10-15% below the MSRP. you can pay for this but we did not have to.
4th: Send an email to the local dealers. The title should be " An Offer to buy ( Your car)" Indicate that you want to buy this weekend (last weekend of the month). List all the options that you want. Your price should be inclusive of all costs including Taxes, delivery, installation of options. The total cost. Provide a phone number that you may be contacted at. Set price where the dealer make some money if you don't none will respond.
5th. Wait for call back, As dealers call you, you will note that the contact person will be the manager or accountant not a sales person. You will be able to take offers and play dealers off each other. When you are happy with the offer make sure that the dealer puts in writting and faxes it too you. IF ITS NOT IN WRITTING AND FAXED THEN THERE IS NO DEAL.
6TH. Go get you car.
7Th. Send an email to all the dealers that thanks them for their interest and that tells them that a deal was made.

This worked great for us, Mazda dropped $3350 for the list on a Mazda3 sport and Honda dropped $2640 Civic Coup LX.

bigEZ

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen; 2006 New Beetle
jimmy vee forgot #8: "cry when no dealer calls you back and you find out all tdi's are sold and you can't find one anywhere."

seriously, you may (repeat, MAY) find a dealer who is taking something off a tdi sticker...if you search the entire country. most likely, every other place you look at will be adding that $1000 "market adjustment" charge, and buy the time you get back to the dealer that was charging only sticker, all of their cars will be gone.

i got my passat wagon in may '05, before all of the current fuel madness. even then, they only knocked $300 off the sticker, b/c the car was hot and they knew they could seel it to the next person who walked in the door. (hint: the reason the salespersons aren't chasing you out the door is b/c they don't want to waste their energy. they know someone else will buy the car tomorrow).

if you like the car, get it before it's gone.

route66

TDI
Thanks for all the great replies. It seems that the old rules about supply and demand are certainly in force with the TDI Jettas. If I was buying a gasser I could bargain all day long, and JimmyV's methods are very good. However, as BigEZ mentions, they are not chasing me out the door. In fact, even though dealers are open on Sunday in AZ nobody called me back today to follow up. I do have an '06 TDI DSG Platinum Gray/gray interior package #1 that I can pick up this week for 24,910 plus license and taxes. It's not pre-sold and due in this week. No other add ons. This appears to be right at MSRP, and is the best price I've found. I may jump on it.

bigEZ

Veteran Member
TDI
i was riding around with my brother-in-law the other day, and he was going on and on about what a great deal they got on their trailblazer, what with $4k off sticker and this rebate and that rebate, yada yada yada. i felt like saying, "you got such a good deal b/c you bought an overpriced, gas-guzzling piece of crap that will need a bunch of work on it pretty soon. enjoy!"

i didn't say that. i like him, so i kept my thoughts to myself. i did say, tho, that i paid right at sticker, b/c my car was in such high demand, but i sure am enjoying my 40 or so mpg's. he shut up.

route66

TDI
Well I'm in - I did it. I called the dealer this evening and the car I wanted showed up on the truck today. It wasn't there yesterday. Gave them my CC# to hold it and I will take delivery tomorrow .

Now that the search is over I'm excited. Can't wait to smell that new "leatherette" tomorrow afternoon :D What the hell is leatherette anyway?

Hope I got a good one ;)

BTW bigEZ - that's a cute kid in your avatar

bigEZ

Veteran Member
TDI
i think they use leatherette now b/c peta was outraged over the killing of defenseless naugas to make naugahyde! seriously, just vinyl, but nice quality; i like mine alot. many people like it better than leather b/c they feel it lasts longer (as i open can of worms. oops!).

thanx about the boy. he's 8 mo. old today and nothing but a joy!

route66

TDI
Enjoy them while you can, they grow so fast! I have a senior at CO State and another that goes to College in 3 yrs :)

Anyone looking for a big Diesel Pickup??? :D

4JimmyVee

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Silver
Its true some dealer just will not deal for Honda we emailed 16 dealer and only 9 responded. For Mazda we email 12 dealer and 10 responded. The mazda3 is the top selling car for that brand and yes there were a few dealer willing to compete for the sale. But there were a few dealers that called just to say that we were dreaming. Even if it does not work where you are, what have you lost.

MileageLover

TDI
06 Jetta TDI
I just traded in my 98 Mustang GT Convertible (oh God it still hurts) and bought an 06 a few weeks ago, and paid sticker - 26,900. I got the DSG also and package 1. Dark blue (forget the exact name color) and beige leatherette. They had two on the lot. The other was a manual. The next six were on order. While my fiance and I were in finance, the manager was answering phone calls (dealership was closed) and the first call he answered was a woman searching for a diesel. He told her they had one manual Jetta left. I felt a little better about paying sticker after that...

I needed something decent on mileage since we just built a new house in BFE (we wanted some land) and I now have a 50 mile round trip commute per day to downtown Mobile. And being used to driving Mustangs, I also needed something that had at least a little pep to it. :D We did ride over to Panama City this weekend and mileage was about 42.5 in mixed traffic, and its still in the break-in period.

I would say you did ok to pay sticker, and to enjoy the car! I also test drove an 06 Civic and the car just didn't compare. I didn't care much for the Honda dealer either... a little shady. The original salesman told us they were running 2.9 on Civics (which they weren't).

Vanessa

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
Haha, slighly OT but... My father is shopping for a car and was looking at the Chrysler Pacifica. Talked to the dealer a couple times and they kept calling him back. Within 3 days the price went from $27k the first time my dad showed up to $17k the last time the dealer called him. He was getting all excited about the prospect of getting a $27k car for only $17k.

He wasnt pleased when I pointed out he would really be getting a $16k car for $17k and if it was actually worth any more than that they wouldnt be selling it at that price. He didnt end up buying the car.

route66

TDI
Picked her up today. Woohoo :cool: , this thing is great! I hope I feel this way in 6 months but right now I'm very pleased! :D

bogeyboy99

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI
Enjoy

Regarding price, VW dealers won't dicker. They had 5 I looked at on a Friday and were all gone by Monday. Luckily, they had just gotten another in that morning and I bought it that day....and 3 other couples tried to buy it while I was buying it.
I was getting my oil changed the other day and they said they had a waiting list and weren't expecting any more...they were hoping for a couple but weren't sure.
I was also lucky that they didn't tack on a premium but that I got it for sticker. You can bargain with them on just about anything else but not the TDI...you will pay sticker and maybe more.

Enjoy your new ride. You'll love the handling and the mileage.

route66

TDI
bogeyboy99 said:
Regarding price, VW dealers won't dicker. They had 5 I looked at on a Friday and were all gone by Monday. Luckily, they had just gotten another in that morning and I bought it that day....and 3 other couples tried to buy it while I was buying it.
I was getting my oil changed the other day and they said they had a waiting list and weren't expecting any more...they were hoping for a couple but weren't sure.
I was also lucky that they didn't tack on a premium but that I got it for sticker. You can bargain with them on just about anything else but not the TDI...you will pay sticker and maybe more.

Enjoy your new ride. You'll love the handling and the mileage.
We experienced similar happenings while we were picking up the car. The dealer we were working with was not putting additional mark-up on their cars, so they were getting additional allocation from VW. This is why they had one coming in that had the color/options we wanted. We were lucky to grab it when we did. I'm not sure how many more are out there.

One interesting note - while the gassers are all '07s on the lots, the TDI's are '06s. The manual that came with our car is an '07 manual and has all the Diesel literature (in english). However, clearly the vehicle is an '06. They seemed to have extended the '06 build to get more TDIs out the door but they did see a $700 price increase from VW recently.

bigEZ

Veteran Member
TDI
route66 said:
One interesting note - while the gassers are all '07s on the lots, the TDI's are '06s. The manual that came with our car is an '07 manual and has all the Diesel literature (in english). However, clearly the vehicle is an '06. They seemed to have extended the '06 build to get more TDIs out the door but they did see a $700 price increase from VW recently.
no '07 tdi's here in na. vw extended the run of '06 jettas and will sell them (maybe into 2007) as '06 model year cars, b/c they meet current epa regs. and do not fall under 2007 epa regs.

MCathcart

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
bigEZ said:
i was riding around with my brother-in-law the other day, and he was going on and on about what a great deal they got on their trailblazer, what with $4k off sticker and this rebate and that rebate, yada yada yada. i felt like saying, "you got such a good deal b/c you bought an overpriced, gas-guzzling piece of crap that will need a bunch of work on it pretty soon. enjoy!"

i didn't say that. i like him, so i kept my thoughts to myself. i did say, tho, that i paid right at sticker, b/c my car was in such high demand, but i sure am enjoying my 40 or so mpg's. he shut up.
I like you EZ. My brother in-law just bought a Funeral Car (Cadi DeVille) and thought he got a Smokin' Deal. My Dad thinks he's GREAT! I think Screw the Gas Guzzling Cadillac that's going to depreciate like a Freakin' Rock.

My opinion on a '06 Jetta... if you can buy it for Sticker, Make the deal. You won't be sorry. or Buy the Cadillac!!! :D

Captain Mike

bigEZ

Veteran Member
TDI
MCathcart said:
I like you EZ. My brother in-law just bought a Funeral Car (Cadi DeVille) and thought he got a Smokin' Deal. My Dad thinks he's GREAT! I think Screw the Gas Guzzling Cadillac that's going to depreciate like a Freakin' Rock.

My opinion on a '06 Jetta... if you can buy it for Sticker, Make the deal. You won't be sorry. or Buy the Cadillac!!! :D

Captain Mike
caddy's ride great. they are smooth, and quiet...and they drink gas like i drink coffee (or beer, depending on the time of day).

my in-laws got a chevy equinox (can you sense the gm loyalty in that family?) right after i got my passat wagon. my father-in-law claims they get 25-26 mpg on the hwy. [begin interior monologue] "uh-huh, sure you do. plus, you're car is fugly and drives like a buick." [end interior monologue]

Veruca Salt

TDI
2006.5 Jetta TDI
I had 2 different dealers offer me $500 less than sticker price. The first dealer said the best he could offer of VW's financing was 7.5% on TDI's, but for other VW's, they were offering 0%. In his words, "The TDI's are in such demand, VW doesn't need to offer a deal on financing." I went with the 2nd dealer that had the color I wanted, and walked in with my own financing thru Capital One, (somewhat less than 7.5%), and the dealer got me even lower with their bank contacts. So in addition to a slight discount on the sticker ($500 off a $27,500 car isn't much!), you may be able to negotiate the financing. Just my experience!

Zero10

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Golf TDI PD, Tiptronic
I got my golf for less than sticker.... :D

I was part of a local club, and we got a $500 discount at a local dealership when buying new. So mine came in at MSRP - $500. Not a huge discount but it made a difference of a few cents a month.