Can I cancel extended warranty for pro-rated refund?

RStrauss

TDI
14 Jetta TDI SW
If I decide to go with the buyback option for my 2014 SW, is there a way to cancel the unused portion of the 3rd party extended warranty that I added when I originally purchased the car?

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
You'd really need to ask the 3rd party that question... their warranty, their rules, so it's gonna depend. :)

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
You'd really need to ask the 3rd party that question... their warranty, their rules, so it's gonna depend. :)
+1
Unfortunately USUALLY not....about 20-50% of the amount collected is typically given out as a commission...that's the 3rd party ones anyway....
My gut says they count on a certain % of cars getting sold or totaled and the warrenty not getting utilized in calculating rates.
Good luck...but I guess the fact you have a warrenty becomes part of the calculation to keep or sell....

Jacks TDI

TDI
2014 Sportwagen
National Warranty Corp, Yes - You can get a Prorated Refund

I called dealer on this issue and have the warranty from National. The prorated refund is either # of days or # of Miles passed since purchase of warranty. Dealer said stop in and they will record Miles and submit form for me. But now that is see that there is little penalty to wait till late 2018 to decide on Buyback, I will keep the extended warranty and cancel then. Cheap insurance I will not have a costly repair before the Buyback. And we love the TDI JSW so we will wait till all the options are clear and the 2018 models are in the dealership. We will most likely buy a new JSW (or GSW?).

RStrauss

TDI
14 Jetta TDI SW
Thanks for all the info. I checked with Zurich who the warranty is from. Like Jacks, sounds like it will be straightforward to cancel and get credit. And like Jacks I will wait until buyback is finalized and/or other options become more clear.

If I do go for the buyback, the extra dough from the refund makes the buyback an even better financial decision for me. Will be tough to give up the JSW but I've been eyeing electrics or hybrids anyways.

jjk58

TDI
2009JettaSedanDSG/2014JSWDSG
too bad vw is stopping the hybrid jetta. I test drove on back roads and really felt like my tdi. there are still some 16s, but not sure going with the vw since they are no more