California Diesel Owners!!!!

SuperAdellic

Veteran Member
TDI
None

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Give them this carb exemption number: (CARB E.O. #D-186-21)

kiva822

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Wagon
hey, did that exemption number work? Thinking of FMIC and wondering what it will be like hassle-wise..

that EO is from a mazda RX-7..

Last edited:

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
I just had a stock 03 smogged, the only thing you will have a problem with is a missing EGR. That is one thing that they look for on the visual inspection. They will scan for codes and do a snap idle opacity test and that is about it. On my inspection the tech definitely traced the EGR system to verify that it was there physically, if it is deleted via programming I doubt that it will be caught.
How have TDIs in general done on the snap test?

Older TDIs in general (i.e., VEs and PDs) generally will allow the throttle to be snapped nearly instantly to WOT, whereas the new CR TDIs won't allow the throttle to be snapped, no matter how hard you try. In the new CR TDIs, the ECU limits how fast it can go to WOT, no matter how quickly you snap the go-pedal to the floor. The ECU seems to purposely limit how fast you can go to WOT to prevent it from burping smoke during the acceleration. Older TDIs and highly modded TDIs in particular may not fare so well on the snap test.

One idea I had for older and highly modded TDIs that tend to burp a lot of smoke when snapped to WOT, is modify the go-pedal circuit electrically to slow down the response to prevent the engine from being snapped to WOT. Basically you can still go to WOT as before, just not as instantaneously as before and and at a controlled rate. IOW, the fastest you'll be able to go to WOT is roll into it instead of snap into it if you snap the pedal to the floor. A simple R-C delay in the go-pedal circuit might be enough to slow the response just enough to prevent burping smoke when snapped but not be so slow as to interfere with driveability.

Last edited:

12MPGHWY

Veteran Member
TDI
none
An RC delay would also delay the reaction to backing off the throttle, instead of the delay just limit the max throttle, either physically or electrically should take car of the smoke on snap if the snap is only to 50% throttle.

How have TDIs in general done on the snap test?

Older TDIs in general (i.e., VEs and PDs) generally will allow the throttle to be snapped nearly instantly to WOT, whereas the new CR TDIs won't allow the throttle to be snapped, no matter how hard you try. In the new CR TDIs, the ECU limits how fast it can go to WOT, no matter how quickly you snap the go-pedal to the floor. The ECU seems to purposely limit how fast you can go to WOT to prevent it from burping smoke during the acceleration. Older TDIs and highly modded TDIs in particular may not fare so well on the snap test.

One idea I had for older and highly modded TDIs that tend to burp a lot of smoke when snapped to WOT, is modify the go-pedal circuit electrically to slow down the response to prevent the engine from being snapped to WOT. Basically you can still go to WOT as before, just not as instantaneously as before and and at a controlled rate. IOW, the fastest you'll be able to go to WOT is roll into it instead of snap into it if you snap the pedal to the floor. A simple R-C delay in the go-pedal circuit might be enough to slow the response just enough to prevent burping smoke when snapped but not be so slow as to interfere with driveability.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Just have the delay when the speed is zero.

SuperAdellic

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Has anyone gotten through the emission inspection with a egr delete or FMIC? I'm contemplating the future turbo swap and I don't know how long I'm going to be in this state. Thanks in advance for the information.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Any out of state military folks require diesel smogs? When I was in CA in 04-08, I had to smog my OR registered gasser for base stickers even though I require no smog in OR. Just curious if they have smoking for out of state Diesels for base sticker purposes. If they do... Lol, I got a lot of smoke and mirrors to install!

SuperAdellic

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Yeah, CA requires everyone, even us non-resident military types, to get smogged if the car is registered in CA (understandable), and the base requires it for everybody in order to get base stickers (in compliance with the state law for smogging). Back in 04-08 there was no smogging of diesels, so I didn't have to deal with this crap. This year was the first year I had to be smogged and I will have to show the pass/ID office the inspection to renew my stickers this year. Just one more way for the state to take money from people (as if this state isn't expensive enough to live in; I pay $4.15-$4.50 a gallon for D2 here (no biodiesel in my area)).

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Yeah, CA requires everyone, even us non-resident military types, to get smogged if the car is registered in CA (understandable), and the base requires it for everybody in order to get base stickers (in compliance with the state law for smogging). Back in 04-08 there was no smogging of diesels, so I didn't have to deal with this crap. This year was the first year I had to be smogged and I will have to show the pass/ID office the inspection to renew my stickers this year. Just one more way for the state to take money from people (as if this state isn't expensive enough to live in; I pay $4.15-$4.50 a gallon for D2 here (no biodiesel in my area)).
Hmm, I don't like that at all...

03Springer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL+ 2013 A3 TDI
Farfromovin,

I just went thrugh my smog on my 03 Golf. This whole process is a joke, it's a confiscation of $35 dollars or more that the state makes $10 for the certification. My car was looked over for an EGR and cat, then the throttle was snapped two or three times as the tech looked back in the side mirror, said pay the lady and your out of here. I was told by the tech that the Legislature/ARB which is jack booted thug agency is considering requiring in 2013 all cars with an OBDII to be scanned for readiness codes. That would be the whole smog check, you either pass with your codes or you fail if one is set. We'll have to wait and see. Also if you keep your car registered out of state you shouldn't have to get it smogged. The South West Region is the only one still requiring base stickers and that is supposed to end in Dec of this year.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Farfromovin,

I just went thrugh my smog on my 03 Golf. This whole process is a joke, it's a confiscation of $35 dollars or more that the state makes $10 for the certification. My car was looked over for an EGR and cat, then the throttle was snapped two or three times as the tech looked back in the side mirror, said pay the lady and your out of here. I was told by the tech that the Legislature/ARB which is jack booted thug agency is considering requiring in 2013 all cars with an OBDII to be scanned for readiness codes. That would be the whole smog check, you either pass with your codes or you fail if one is set. We'll have to wait and see. Also if you keep your car registered out of state you shouldn't have to get it smogged. The South West Region is the only one still requiring base stickers and that is supposed to end in Dec of this year.
Non-OBDII gas vehicles will still get the sniffer test.

Base/Post sticker requirements are by branch of service. The USAF eliminated them 4 years ago, but the Army still requires them (or at least they did in March 2011). I don't know what the Navy, USMC, and USCG positions are. There is a rumor that the USAF may bring them back due to demand by both active and retired members.

SuperAdellic

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Marine Corps still requires them and the smog cert from Cali to get them. It's retarded. When my car was registered in AZ, I had to do opacity tests every year and that was done by a machine with the car on rollers. Here, some disgruntled smog tech can ruin your day by deciding that the soot cloud strayed too far from the vehicle before dissipating, or that it was too much soot all together. At least with the machine test, human error is reduced significantly. Hopping off my soap box now...
SA

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What I can't figure out is if your vehicle was built for only Federal emissions AND is registered outside California, how can you legally pass a California smog test? Does the smog computer adjust for non-CA emissions equipment and registration based on the VIN and state of registry?

WeLikeBlue

Veteran Member
TDI
2004.5 Passat
For PD diesels ('04-'05) none were sold new in CA anyway... did not matter for the purposes of smog check. They don't fail a car just because it was manufactured with a 49-state emissions cert.

SuperAdellic

Veteran Member
TDI
None
What I can't figure out is if your vehicle was built for only Federal emissions AND is registered outside California, how can you legally pass a California smog test? Does the smog computer adjust for non-CA emissions equipment and registration based on the VIN and state of registry?
No. The computer doesn't care about the emissions equipment differences. Once a vehicle has 7500 miles on it, the state considers it used and you can title and register a non-CA emissions equipped vehicle in the state. They want your money. It's just another example of how the state pays lip service to the environment in order to make more money. Take the current diesel emissions testing procedures. It's highly subjective, relying on human judgement.
Now before anyone jumps in with the "why don't we do away with emissions standards altogether and f the environment" argument as a counterpoint to what I'm saying, understand that I'm saying the CA state government is half-assing the whole emissions standards for diesels. It should be done on the rollers with a computer measuring the opacity continuously as the car is pushed to at least 50% throttle and 3000 rpms (most drivers will use that much throttle and rpms in a normal drive, not often, but enough to be a realistic ceiling for testing purposes). The subjective human judgement method doesn't sit well with me. I'm a firm believer in integrity and not half-assing things and I just don't see any integrity between the emissions laws and enforcement in regards to diesels. I'm just OCD like that.
Hopping off my soap box.
SA

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
True for diesels since it is only a visual check but what about gasoline powered vehicles that require a sniffer test? If the sniffer shows that the car meets the Federal limits but not the CARB limits, I'm curious as to what happens.

I think that only the Federal Government should set the emissions limits as that definitely falls under Article I, Section 8 of the Constitution.

California does charge a couple penalty fees to register a non-CARB certified vehicle; at least they only total about $20 - $40 now as opposed to the previous $300+ a few years ago.

Last edited:

SuperAdellic

Veteran Member
TDI
None
True for diesels since it is only a visual check but what about gasoline powered vehicles that require a sniffer test? If the sniffer shows that the car meets the Federal limits but not the CARB limits, I'm curious as to what happens.

I think that only the Federal Government should set the emissions limits as that definitely falls under Article I, Section 8 of the Constitution.

California does charge a couple penalty fees to register a non-CARB certified vehicle; at least they only total about $20 - $40 now as opposed to the previous $300+ a few years ago.
I don't know the answer to that one as I have only registered out of state tdis. The wife's current ride is CARB certified. I wonder if they have different categories for CARB and non-CARB certified vehicles.

I don't disagree but mainly because I think it should be uniform across the entire US. I'm a little bit green (environmentally conscious) but mostly I just want things to be simple and work. Different emission standards and the lack of emission testing in much of the US is just retarded to me. Either do it in 100% of the country or don't bother. Just my .02
SA

palewhitemale

TDI
A3
as far as I'm aware, because the intercooler is in the intake tract it MUST be CARB compliant.

that said, I lived in LA long enough to have to smog my a4 twice. I highly suggest explaining to the tester that everything is totally stock and handing him a $20.

-bill