Cali to MN and back

ChugBug

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Beetle
Hi All! I just got back from a trip home to see my parents. I took my 00 NB and my cats (argh!). I took I-80 to I-35 to I-90. First off, I-80 is about the most boring freeway ever. That being said, I drove 1970 mi. in 2 days without breaking the speed limit to get to MN. I averaged 39mpg in my beetle (auto) so I'm pretty happy with that. Since I had the cats along and it was warm, I didn't stop too often (just for fuel and bathroom breaks). My best mileage on the trip to MN was 40.9mpg on a tank of 2% soydiesel I got at a Bosselman's in Nebraska. The worst tank was 38mpg from a stinky crappy place in BFE Wyoming. God that fuel stank but i was almost empty and couldn't risk going on to find more. All in all, I'm VERY happy with my beetle's performance, especially in the mountains and grades of the west. I just put him in cruise and stopped every few hours to pee. Now I'm tired of driving though, especially with two cats yowling from under my seat!!!

Leseid

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Toureg TDI
That was a lot of driving! Have any fun along the way?

ChugBug

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Beetle
Well, I had it in cruise control the whole way, and was amused as one of my cats was terrorized by my windshield wipers. does that count?? Seriously though, I did have alot of fun and got to test out my tdi for the first time. I was impressed with the average fuel mileage of 39mpg, though I think it would have been better if I didn't get to drive 75mph over three states!