Cabin air and idle speed

rocky raccoon

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Car is 2014 Jetta Sportwagen TDI.

My ALLDATA DIY shows the cabin air filter located inside the car beneath the floor carpet on the passenger side. Is this true? I just want to verify before I pull that carpeting out. Dumb-ass location if you ask me.

Idle speed; mine is about 850 to 900 rpm on the in-car tach with ac off. Seems a bit high to me. Is this the correct idle speed and if not, is there an adjustable throttle stop? ALLDATA is unclear.

Thanks for the help troopers.

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Not beneath the floor carpet on the passenger side, but behind the glove box.
You would remove the under dash cover below the glove box, and release the cover holding the filter in the slot.

The filter will drop down, along with a bunch of dirt/leaves.
There are a number of YouTube videos with instructions on R&R of the filter.

skromfols

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Jaguar XE TDI, 2014 Sportwagen TDI
Boy, you're not kidding that it's a pain in the ass to change. I spent about two hours getting my cabin air filter out just to find that it is perfect. My JSW has a little over 120,000 miles on it and the filter is perfect. I had a brand new filter that I had ordered on line ($14) and just threw it away, along with the piece of cover material that I spent two hours removing under the glove box. It will be at least another 100,000 miles before I check the filter again, so it wasn't worth keeping the new filter, and wasn't worth the time and cost to send it back for a refund (less 10% restocking fee).

ebain21

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 6M
Boy, you're not kidding that it's a pain in the ass to change. I spent about two hours getting my cabin air filter out just to find that it is perfect. My JSW has a little over 120,000 miles on it and the filter is perfect. I had a brand new filter that I had ordered on line ($14) and just threw it away, along with the piece of cover material that I spent two hours removing under the glove box. It will be at least another 100,000 miles before I check the filter again, so it wasn't worth keeping the new filter, and wasn't worth the time and cost to send it back for a refund (less 10% restocking fee).
What?? Is the JSW that much worse than the golf? Mine took 3 minutes tops...Why go through all that work just to throw the new one out?

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
Odd. I change my roughly every other oil change unless it's been particulaly dusty and they always seem to need it. 10 min in & out tops.