Buying a Golf Mk4 Arl Tdi

Iwcham

Veteran Member
TDI
golf,2003, grey-metalic
Hello guys, I am interested in buying a Golf Mk4 ARL engine. They are quite rare to find in a good shape. I found one in Germany for 2700euros that appears to be nice looking car, but it has an engine problem. The owner states that the car has full power, but that the engine clacks when revved over 2000rpm. I am guessing bad cam and lifters are causing it? What do you think? I’d have to buy it without sctually seeing it since I am not from Germany 😅

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Buying a car without seeing it is a proposition where the odds are against you. This is because so many people seem to be unable to tell the truth about the car they are trying to sell. You may very well have an actual honest seller, but if you cannot find a friend or some other reliable method of having the car checked out, your question becomes one of how easily can you lose 2700 euros and be happy about it. How risk adverse are you?

Then there is the added expense of transport, and then import into your own country. After you get through these headaches, you can start on fixing the car.

This could be a very interesting can of worms.

Cheers,

PH

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
So 3100 dollars U.S. is a bit high for a car with engine issue like that. But it may be as low as 500 euros to repair. No way to be sure.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
ARL is that a PD engine? I believe it is, in that case, yes it could be cam/lifters almost gone.
When there are a few lifters with holes, then the car will end up with limp mode.
In extreme cases, the cam could damage the valve stems. Metal debris can score other cam lobes.