TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
Last edited:

N_J

Veteran Member
TDI
VW 2002 Golf 5 speed TDI Indigo Blue Pearl
Sweet.
Thanks for posting this. I went all the way down to Delta yesterday for B40 :( Great to know I can get it closer now.

RHN

TDI
2003 Golf GL 2015 Golf SportWagen Trendline
Cool, our office is moving into one of the new complexes on Byrne road in the new year.
thanks for the heads up!:)

Rick

brando06

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf Tdi Silver
Dumb Question

Can anyone put biodiesel in their TDI or must i do something first?? I know i know stupid question. Please let me know!!!:eek:

bluesmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd 5 speed tip
There are 2 basic issues:

1. The stealer will void your warranty if you get caught burning anything more than b5.

2. Bio is a solvent and may move all the crap in your fuel tank to the fuel filter causing a stall or loss of power; so maybe change the fuel filter after the first tank.

That being said b20 is a great fuel, no smoke and very little "diesel" exhaust smell. (just dont tell the stealer)

vw4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
I'm still waitin for my fuel light to come on, Couple more days I'll be able to fill up at this station and report back.

vw4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
Got to drive by last night and they have posted prices for their Bio:

All prices cents CAD per litre

D2: 94.9
B5: 94.9
B20: 92.9
B40: 91.9

Compared to (D2):
Esso Marine Way: 92.9
Superstore: 94.9 (-6.5cent super buck= 88.4)
Mohawk 70th Ave: 93.9

From my observations on Marine Way (my commuting route) this station is historically slowest to drop its D2 price and never drops to match other stations. Though the Bx prices are reasonable.

ciao

N_J

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi vwforlife,
Thanks for posting the prices.
Are you going to use B40 over Vancouver's "winter"? :D
I've been running B40 from Delta, but thinking about going to B20 for the next couple months. Thoughts?

Cheers

vw4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
My TDI is a PD and it is new, so, for warrantee considerations I will be staying with B5 for a couple years.

It is my opinion that B40 should be fine in vancouvers winter, unless perhaps you go up to the mountains a lot or live in the valley. It rarely dips below 4 C. B20 is good till -26 C so, you should be fine with B40. Besure to confim my opinions with your own research.

vw4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
I filled there tonight. Nice new setup. Full Service, very friendly and I didn't have the backbone to not let them do their job. I pickup up an application for cardlock which allows 24h filling.

The pump isn't pay at the pump so it appears you can't do 24 hour credit card- but if you get a cardlock card you can use the pmp 24 hour. I let the attendant fill. He allowed me to top up. I paid inside. Kinda slow- but convenient location.

I will apply for a card and go after hours so I can fill myself. They have been selling for about 3 weeks now. Mix on the fly B5/20/40.

As soon as I turned the key the 2.0 TDI sounded smoother! yummy!

I will post the leaflets I picked up soon.

N_J

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for this vwforlife!
I have been researching geling of BD, but I just wanted a Vancouver opinion.
People out east in colder temps are running BD with their cold. Based on that research would assume Autogas is being a bit conservative in the temps to cover themselves...
I'm newer to Vancouver, Do they usually "winterize" diesel in Vancouver over the winter?

Coolin

TDI
Passat Wagon 2005 Silverstone Grey
By the way, I talked to the guy in the office at that location and he said that a regular credit card would work in the card reader outside. He said no need for a special card lock card. Doesn't sound right to me though.

I haven't been there outside of regular hours yet so I haven't tried it, but that's just what he said.

bluesmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd 5 speed tip
He is wrong, I have tried my credit card and it doesnt work. Get a card lock or else no bio

Card lock member for a year now

TDiMike

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI, reflex silver (sold)
Coolin said:
By the way, I talked to the guy in the office at that location and he said that a regular credit card would work in the card reader outside. He said no need for a special card lock card. Doesn't sound right to me though.

I haven't been there outside of regular hours yet so I haven't tried it, but that's just what he said.
This is how the card reader in their Delta location works. It looks like a cardlock setup, but it also accepts major credit cards. I've been filling up after hours in Delta for months now, and I don't expect Marine Way to be any different.

I've made switch from B40 to B20 for the Vancouver temperature we're seeing now. I probably being conservative here, but I like to play safe.

M

N_J

Veteran Member
TDI
Does anyone know what kind of bio they use? Soy, recycled veggie oil, etc?
I've went to their site and read that pamphlet but i didn't see anything.

bluesmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd 5 speed tip
Here is the plant that makes virtually all of the biodiesel in BC. Basically they use waste fryer oil (usually canola) and basically everything else that can be rendered (cows, pigs ect)

So it really isnt a pure blend per say, (all little of Mcdonalds, bessy the cow, the old pig)

http://www.wcrl.com/products/biodiesel/default.htm

Good stuff though, check out the quality control:D

TDiMike

Veteran Member
TDI
If anyone goes out toward Lickman Rd in Chiliwack and makes routine trips into NewWest, Coquitlam or Burnaby, I'd be super grateful if you could bring in some PowerService Fuel Additive (white bottle32oz) from the Lickman ESSO. Willing to meet you, and pay the costs if it's on your way (ie don't go out of your way for this!). Anyways, PM if you can help a fellow TDI'er. With the roads the way they are, I don't want to make the trek out there just for this.

Mike

PS I haven't been able to find this stuff anywhere else....

CAATS_Man

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta, Pkg2, ESP, DSG, & 8 airbags
Hey Mike;
I tried to fuel up at Husky/Mohawk Nordel Way yesterday but because they store their Bio-diesel above ground there was no BD available; it simply wouldn't flow at 0 deg C. Great example of what NOT to put in your tank in winter. I still use BD5 for the warranty but not yesterday . . . nothing came out.

Curt

TDiMike

Veteran Member
TDI
I tried the burnaby tank yesterday after hours - wouldn't take my credit cards! Looks like it's not same system as RiverRd.

TDiMike

Veteran Member
TDI
N_J said:
Does anyone know what kind of bio they use? Soy, recycled veggie oil, etc?
I've went to their site and read that pamphlet but i didn't see anything.
Curtis at Cascadia told me they switched to US Soy for the winter for improved cold weather performance over the tallow stuff