BSM Delete w/o Timing Belt Replacement

Thingsfallapart

TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
Hi there, first post and thank you everyone for generously offering your time.
Just purchased a 2005 Passat wagon with 156K miles on it and have opted for the BSM delete.The previous owner replaced the timing belt/water pump/etc. 30k miles ago. Is it being penny wise and pound foolish to not replace timing belt components 50K miles early? Will the BSM delete process be significantly easier w/o the timing belt replacement procedure?
We are mad pressed for time (baby coming in December) and I want this procedure to go as quickly as possible and with the fewest number of surprises. I'll be performing the delete in my spacious driveway and have a back up car.
Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
The timing belt has to come off in order to get at the BSM crank gear, so you will be removing the timing belt components whether you like it or not :D

Read through the procedure and you'll see that - there won't be any time savings.

Now, for the belt and components, there is the question of "I might as well replace them while I am in there" or not.

If it were me, given that the front of the car needs to be put in the service position or removed, I would be replacing so I could get another 80k before doing all that work again.

Labour vs parts.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
/\ Ditto /\

Also replace your water pump as they are typically the weak link and will give you problems before the timing belt will.

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
What others have said and the kit is <200 dollars. Pennies compared to the labor to do a BSM and TB job twice basically.

Thingsfallapart

TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
Thanks for the quick replies. People are are confirming my thoughts but wanted to ask in case I was missing something. As mentioned by Nash_TDI, the TB kit is not that expensive.
While I have the car in service position, what other maintenance procedures are timely at 156K? I'll probably replace the sway bar bushings and change the ATF fluid. The motor mounts were replaced by the previous owner.

Zambee500

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI GLS, 2014 NMS Passat TDI SEL Premium
alternator pulley.

if you have the original dipstick funnel, it's probably brittle and ready to break at that mileage. Not that it has anything to do with being in service position, but it's a $10 part and can be messy when it breaks off.

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
In addition to the alternator pulley that doen not need to be in the service, I would change out the thermostat and thermostat neck. While in service position, I would check or consider replacing the fan clutch and replace the headlights if they are all fogged up.

Thingsfallapart

TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
Thanks again for the further suggestions. Previous owner replaced the motor mounts (they look good) and alternator pulley about 30k miles ago! Generally took good care of the car. I have many of the service records. Too bad they didn't know about the BSM issue.

Putting together a tool list based on the various guides and it looks to be around $330. If that seems low, I'll be trying a few substitute tools before buying the gear puller, etc. Anyone near DC that wants to share/rent the special tools?

MOGolf contributed a great tool list with potential substitutions in this thread

zzdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
05 passat tdi Geared BSM and Bewcam 2nd 2005 deleted ,converted and bew cam stage 2 Malone3 tune.
I just finished a delete among other things. No puller needed.A few blows with a chisel on the side of the gear and it will split and basically fall off.. Be careful not to scar the crank.

Thingsfallapart

TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
I'll let you know when I'm done! I need to pick up a different tap kit. You definitely do not want to go cheap with the tap. Lots of frustration but no surprise if you read various posts.

The IDParts.com kit cost $345 with the bhw sprockets and chain. I decided against the timing belt change as I have 50K miles left on the equipment. I spent that money on the metalnerd crank yank, metal nerd timing belt tool kit, metal nerd double square bit kit, and the snap on seal installer tool and alignment pins.

I've read different opinions about the one-time-use sub-frame and motor mount bolts. Parts total may increase if I end up buying those.

Anyone have any opinions on replacing the motor mount and sub-frame bolts?

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
Anyone have any opinions on replacing the motor mount and sub-frame bolts?
If they are not corroded, I say reuse them.
Mine were reused when my BSM was replaced by a reputable guru and then I reused them again when I pulled my transmission for a TC replacement.

Thingsfallapart

TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
Thanks for your help everyone. BSM delete is complete and the car is running fine. Lots of detailed instructions and posts from multiple threads made this possible.
In the end, by recommendation, I replaced the thermostat, the thermostat neck, air conditioner belt, serpentine belt, the oil fill tube and the BSM. I did not perform the timing belt procedure as I have 50k miles left on those parts. Putting the car into service position is not such a difficult process that I was willing to give up the 50K miles left on the timing belt components.