Brm vs alh t-belt

craig01b

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
First BRM t-belt and cam almost completed. T belt is much easier than the alh. Colt cam is in, and while the cam wear was not as bad as it could be, the lifters were a bit of a mess, with some significant wear. 2 cam lobes with very sharp edges. They were the black nitrided lifters. Easy, interesting job.....my turbo diesel write up and videos are excellent!

The cam lasted 50, 000 k, not very impressive..... Going to stick with 505.1 oil, with some zddp additive from here on in. The Rotella obviously wasn't up to the job. Joe Gibbs break in oil and lots of zddp cam assembly lube. Following the break in instructions.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
It was a nice surprise when I did my first TB job on a BEW, so much quicker.

Goodluck with the new cam! Although only 50k out of the replacement seems extremely suspect.

craig01b

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
I agree Bill, it would of driven another 30,000. But I decided to look when there were no symptoms, and didn't like what I found.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
That's a very short lifespan. What make was it?

dieselsipper

Veteran Member
Going to stick with 505.1 oil, with some zddp additive from here on in. The Rotella obviously wasn't up to the job. Joe Gibbs break in oil and lots of zddp cam assembly lube. Following the break in instructions.
I can't say much for or against the T6 vs 505.01(I've been a supporter of T6 for some time). My cam/lifter symptoms showed up long after I had been using T6 but can't really say it was the cause as the car was north of 300K km when I started using the T6. My last inspection was some time ago before I switched to T6 and didn't show anything abnormal for my mileage. When I install a new cam, bearings, and lifters I'm leaning towards 505.01.

That's a very short lifespan. What make was it?
Also curious....didn't you say you went with a Frank06 cam?

craig01b

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
Colt installed now, the cam was done just before I bought the car., so I have no idea. Steady diet of t 6 10000 k interval. After all the reading I have done, it's amazing how some of the new oils will absolutely destroy a flat tappet engine within a very short period of time.

Castrol edge 5-40 505.1 spec on sale at Canadian tire today....never even knew it existed. None in Guelph, but Kitchener had some. Zddp additive for good measure also.

Idle is a little smoother, beyond that it feels pretty much the same.

otty

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Passat W8=>TDI swap, 4Motion Wagon, PD130(AVF) 6Speed Manual, 2006 Jetta MKIV PD(BEW) Wagon 5Speed Manual
Where did you find a Colt cam in CDN$? I thought Kerma was the exclusive dealer.

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
You can buy directly from Colt if you are in Canada. They are located here in BC. Kerma only has exclusivity over the USA.

craig01b

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
Oh k Steve 6 nvfunny.....ha ha....I have alh tools, but, only lend to people with sense of humours....ha ha...Gud luk finding toolz

Yup, Colt is a Vancouver company, no cross border shopping. Steve 6... Go to Kerma and pay cross border shipping...LOL...

craig01b

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
?

When I do my alh timing belt no new cam required... Seems like less work in the end. Lol.

What is the point? Timing belts need to be done, in line with mileage.... My brm is a nicer car to drive than my alh's, and newer. My green alh retired with over 550000 Kim's, the second tranny blew, and the car was getting tired...and the brm replaced it. Enjoy your alh Steve, while it lasts...

dieselsipper

Veteran Member
... My brm is a nicer car to drive than my alh's, and newer....
exactly. I know 2 guys looking to get into TDI's because of their long commutes. They both agree that the '06's are the way to go. One of them wants an auto and in my opinion the DSG is far superior to anything offered prior.

If I buy another one, it will be an '06.