BRM Engine Harness

bc1550

TDI
2006 Jetta BRM/MT
Hello, I am doing some research as to whether or not I want to fix my harness (which seems to have minimal chaffing). I don't mind the time to fix it as I am capable, and since I'm actually doing a lot of work on it, the engine isn't even in the car at the moment.

I'm still investigating though, so I have sourced a new harness and a dealer said it was 03G972619DF.
However, that harness and 03G972619FT seem to supersede each other.

Does anyone know the difference? FT is at least $50 cheaper than DF and I'm already getting to a point where I have too much money into this car (which is why I'm thinking of doing it myself).

Any additional input on this job would be appreciated as well.
I've seen posts about filling a new harness with silicon (or something) as a preventative measure, is that just squirt it in and go?

Thank you much.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
After trying to hunt down the wiring that was causing my issues (fans running all the time, a few different "intermittent" fault codes in the engine), I decided to just bite the bullet and buy the OE one instead of trying to track down and (hopefully) find/fix the wire(s) that might be causing the problems.

03G972619DH is what my part number is/was. @oilhammer has one of those for sale, too (I was going to buy it, but he wanted me to verify some connectors on my harness to make sure it was the right one....and not having the car here (friend's car), I just went to the dealer).

@oilhammer can probably give you a better idea on what the interchangeability of them would be, too.

bc1550

TDI
2006 Jetta BRM/MT
After trying to hunt down the wiring that was causing my issues (fans running all the time, a few different "intermittent" fault codes in the engine), I decided to just bite the bullet and buy the OE one instead of trying to track down and (hopefully) find/fix the wire(s) that might be causing the problems.
Right now, since I had to get a new glow plug harness already, I have the harness completely out and partially unwrapped. I'm thinking it wouldn't be too hard to just run down each strand, look for any problem spots, and then replace any wires that even look suspicious.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
There are several... I only know that the manual is different than automatic, and there is an early and a late version, which has to do with the one OR two connectors that go to the car harness near the headlight. There seems to be more than just four harness numbers, though.

The problem with these is, not only can there be chaffing on the outside of the individual wire insulation, but there also can be broken wires INSIDE of the insulation that you won't see. So it really boils down to how much time to you want to spend chasing gremlins around under the hood, especially given some of these wires will make the car quit running altogether.

bc1550

TDI
2006 Jetta BRM/MT
but there also can be broken wires INSIDE of the insulation that you won't see.
I was wondering about that, so thank you for responding.
Have you seen that filling the new harness looms with rtv (or whatnot) has any actual long-term benefits?

Rx7145

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM
I think I’ve seen mentioned filling the harness with dielectric grease to cut down on corrosion, I would not use RTV, future maintenance would be basically impossible. The fans running all the time is probably the fan controller, a.k.a. the big fan.

bc1550

TDI
2006 Jetta BRM/MT
This is the post that I was referring to about the rtv/silicon.

I've went ahead and bought a harness, so I'd like to get it 'bullet proofed' (as we say of other diesels).

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I pump black silicone into them at the parts where you can easily pull the fluted cover open, then I wrap it all again in key areas with the official VAG electrical tape. That stuff really is good. N-105-920-02

Key areas:

Where it wraps around the head directly under the connector to the injector harness on the head (the branch that goes back around to the CTS)

The parts where it goes to the CKP sensor

The big part that goes past the starter, I also put a couple zip ties around that portion.

Rx7145

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM
I will say that I was going to rebuild a harness, got it all unwrapped and laid out and realized it’s gonna be a big job as almost every wire needed to be changed. The plastic conduit, chaffs the wires themselves, which gets corrosion in the wires, causing resistance to go up.

bc1550

TDI
2006 Jetta BRM/MT
I was going to also, but then something came up where all of sudden, I don't have the time for it anymore. I don't think it's terrible, and I will keep it in case I need to use stuff off it in the future.

To close the thread (unless there any more tips to modify these), I went ahead and got the DF for $350 from ECS (cause of the warranty), but it does appear the FT is the same part and I was able to source that as low as $300.

Thank you all for the input.

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
I will say that I was going to rebuild a harness, got it all unwrapped and laid out and realized it’s gonna be a big job as almost every wire needed to be changed. The plastic conduit, chaffs the wires themselves, which gets corrosion in the wires, causing resistance to go up.
That has been my experience, especially in areas where roads are salted.

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
I was going to also, but then something came up where all of sudden, I don't have the time for it anymore. I don't think it's terrible, and I will keep it in case I need to use stuff off it in the future.

To close the thread (unless there any more tips to modify these), I went ahead and got the DF for $350 from ECS (cause of the warranty), but it does appear the FT is the same part and I was able to source that as low as $300.

Thank you all for the input.
Although it looks like I'm too late to pipe in here, I have a new 03G972619DF that I bought but never installed and do not need any more. It is OEM and was made in Poland. If that is their price, I will have to drop mine too. https://www.ebay.com/itm/326048120312 I tried posting on this board but the process is less than simple, so I screwed something up and was not able to post it here.

bc1550

TDI
2006 Jetta BRM/MT
@sptsailing,
They had it for $350 as a clearance thing. It is back up to $450 right after I bought mine, and now drop shipped too.