Brand new alternator battery light off/on

jordang78

TDI
2012 2.0l tdi cjaa vw jetta
Hey all i got a 2012 cjaa tdi i just replaced the alternator and my battery light appears quite often while driving mostly on the freeway its on then a couple seconds later its back off for a couple minutes and just changes back and fourth. Ive tried reading the codes but no codes for the alternator and for the most part when im driving its at a constant 13.6 or right at 14 never has dropped below 13.5 and never higher then 14 volts it seems that it comes on when it hits 14 volts but its so random i cant just pin it too overcharging and i know its not under charging the battery cause thats only 3 weeks old sorry for the long post im just confused on what it could be all the connections were cleaned and are tight. Any help would be appreciated and agian sorry if its alittle confusing and long

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Stick a meter on the alternator and see what it's actually putting out, could just be a faulty alternator from new. If that's ok then check across the battery terminals, see if it matches. If not there must be a bad connection or bad cable between them.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Hey all i got a 2012 cjaa tdi i just replaced the alternator and my battery light appears quite often while driving mostly on the freeway its on then a couple seconds later its back off for a couple minutes and just changes back and fourth. Ive tried reading the codes but no codes for the alternator and for the most part when im driving its at a constant 13.6 or right at 14 never has dropped below 13.5 and never higher then 14 volts it seems that it comes on when it hits 14 volts but its so random i cant just pin it too overcharging and i know its not under charging the battery cause thats only 3 weeks old sorry for the long post im just confused on what it could be all the connections were cleaned and are tight. Any help would be appreciated and agian sorry if its alittle confusing and long
What brand of alternator was installed?

jordang78

TDI
2012 2.0l tdi cjaa vw jetta
Sorry for the late response its a ultima from O'Reillys drove it for another day and the alternator ending uo just being bad swapped it out two more times and then ended up going with a bosch and its all good now

Mozambiquer

TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Sorry for the late response its a ultima from O'Reillys drove it for another day and the alternator ending uo just being bad swapped it out two more times and then ended up going with a bosch and its all good now
That's sadly all too common. Part of the reason I started rebuilding them myself.

Dannyboy

Veteran Member
TDI
I'll second Moza.

I've noticed a string of crappy alternators recently on mk5/6s, especially aftermarket. Even OEM rebuilds are becoming terrible.
I've rebuilt my 2014s already and it's only had 78k kms when it started acting goofy. At 108k now and no issues

My touareg had an alternator change nearly 3 years ago (X part number)by previous owner and it stopped working last December, slip ring was worn completely down to the plastic backing. Copper used was very soft. And this was an OEM rebuild

Mozambiquer

TDI
I'll second Moza.

I've noticed a string of crappy alternators recently on mk5/6s, especially aftermarket. Even OEM rebuilds are becoming terrible.
I've rebuilt my 2014s already and it's only had 78k kms when it started acting goofy. At 108k now and no issues

My touareg had an alternator change nearly 3 years ago (X part number)by previous owner and it stopped working last December, slip ring was worn completely down to the plastic backing. Copper used was very soft. And this was an OEM rebuild
Bosch got bought by a Chinese company SEG a couple years back, many of their parts are now made in China.
On your Touareg one, didn't have any oil or fuel that leaked on it?
Thats the biggest thing that causes the slip rings to wear out.

Dannyboy

Veteran Member
TDI
Bosch got bought by a Chinese company SEG a couple years back, many of their parts are now made in China.
On your Touareg one, didn't have any oil or fuel that leaked on it?
Thats the biggest thing that causes the slip rings to wear out.
Nope. Just both wore very quick. When I mean the copper was soft, it was very soft. Normal commutator copper has a 'shiny' appearance when it's wearing normally. This had a very dull, matt look to it. Also one wore quicker than the other.

Mozambiquer

TDI
Nope. Just both wore very quick. When I mean the copper was soft, it was very soft. Normal commutator copper has a 'shiny' appearance when it's wearing normally. This had a very dull, matt look to it. Also one wore quicker than the other.
Yeah, that sounds off. I've always kinda wondered who does the rebuilds for VW. I do a ton of those touareg, q7 and Cayenne alternators, and get the oem Valeo slip rings, which is what I would assume the vw reman ones used, but you never know.

Dannyboy

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, that sounds off. I've always kinda wondered who does the rebuilds for VW. I do a ton of those touareg, q7 and Cayenne alternators, and get the oem Valeo slip rings, which is what I would assume the vw reman ones used, but you never know.
Yeah I couldn't say. It was a oem rebuilt alternator as far as I know. If I had known you sell parts I would have bought the rebuilt parts from you

I'll be sending a message for some parts soon, my son's 2010 golfs cjaa alternator is starting to act funky when a high load is place on it during very cold mornings when the PTC aux heater is on.

Mozambiquer

TDI
Yeah I couldn't say. It was a oem rebuilt alternator as far as I know. If I had known you sell parts I would have bought the rebuilt parts from you

I'll be sending a message for some parts soon, my son's 2010 golfs cjaa alternator is starting to act funky when a high load is place on it during very cold mornings when the PTC aux heater is on.
Yeah, I've got pretty much all the parts for any of them, as well as new units. Right now I've got a special on new oem CJAA alternators. $285 plus shipping.