Brakes low pedal and lack of braking

MoparMarv

TDI
02 jetta TDI, My other Diesels are 1980 rabbit, 1981 rabbit truck, 1993 dodge ram CTD.
My parents 2002 Jetta TDI was having some brake issues. The pedal has a lot of travel before to get some braking action and when you do it was limited. In a harder stop the pedal would bottom out. If you hold the pedal it will slowly sink Too the floor. I found no leaks anywhere. The rear brakes were nearly to the metal and crumbling. Front brakes were like new. I changed the rear pads, rotors and put some new calipers on due to the boots being torn and I didn’t want to hold up the project. I bought a pressure bleeder and flushed out the system. Due to the pedal sinking to the floor I put a master cylinder on it as well. I did the ABS bleeding with the Vag Com and pressure bleeder. Ran a lot of fluid thru it but still have the same pedal as before.
I have been browsing the forums and a lot of people mention the power booster or a vacuum line for this similar issue which doesn’t make sense to me because I would just expect a harder pedal with an issue there. I decided to troubleshoot that and it appears to have a random leak at about half travel. With the gauge hooked up it is slow to build vacuum and gets to maybe 25inches but at about half travel it drops to zero. I this compared to my 2003 that goes to straight to 25+. And the brake application has very little effect on the vacuum.
I have tested the line from the booster to the vacuum pump and it’s solid. If I plug the line from the booster the vacuum is nearly 30inches. I’m leaning toward changing the booster bleeding again and see what I get. Just looking to see if anyone has any thoughts and maybe help the next person with some findings. Thank you in advance!!

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
You may have 2 different problems - the booster leak (which is a good thing to fix) and still some persisting air in the system.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
MoparMarv last logged in May 18, 2020
Maybe he still reads the forum.