brakes got strange...

katipo

Veteran Member
This morning I set the brakes to get it into gear. The brake pedal popped ten settled a bit then it took both feet to hold car in place. I can hear a subtil SHHTTTPPP vacuum like sound from inside the car with TDI running when ever I touch the brakes.

Now...what would be the first (or second) think I should look at to fix this.

TDI PD Jetta Wagen 2004

DirtyDzl

Veteran Member
TDI
Looking to buy.
Check your vacuum lines, the brake booster works from artificial vacuum created by a vacuum pump. It sucks on the brake diaphragm to help you not have to press so hard on the brakes to stop the car.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
katipo said:
This morning I set the brakes to get it into gear. The brake pedal popped ten settled a bit then it took both feet to hold car in place. I can hear a subtil SHHTTTPPP vacuum like sound from inside the car with TDI running when ever I touch the brakes.

Now...what would be the first (or second) think I should look at to fix this.

TDI PD Jetta Wagen 2004

A bad vacuum booster makes a noise like that. Get a second (live) opinion.

(sig Q) He could chuck quite a lot of wood..... but shouldn't we be asking how far can he chuck it and are we standing a bit too close??

Bill

Last edited:

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
I suggest you look at the brake booster hose, they are know to fail and cause hard pedal.
Runs form the master cylinder to the vacuum pump.

katipo

Veteran Member
Took a look at some of the hoses. The hose coming off the side of tandem pump closest to engine seem to be loose, can rotate around the axis. Also there is a side to side motion as well. This rubber tube goes to a piece of curve angle plastic tubing. Loose to me doesn't seem good.

What do you folks think

katipo

Veteran Member
Okay...
This VW shop here locally (not a dealer) found that the tandem pump failed. This was the recall tandem put on about five years ago. Do these routinely fail in your experiences? Fool thing costed nearly 400 dollars.