brake problem

SkyRyder55

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI, 1990 Corrado G60 (AHU soon)
So my 2003 wagon seems to be having a brake issue. If the engine is off and i press the brakes the pedal is firm and does not sink at all.
Once i start it up, the pedal is soft and will slowly go almost to the floor. If i pump the brakes a few times it will firm up the pedal, but will still sink slowly.
Brakes have been bled.
Thoughts on this?

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Vacuum leak? Check main vacuum hose to booster. Hopefully it's not a bad booster.

When this this first appear as a problem?

SkyRyder55

Veteran Member
TDI
Don't really know. Wagon is new to me. I did engine swap, replaced all pads and rotors. Never really drove it before engine swap.
I have another booster from parts car. How would I test the booster?

Corsair

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5M
My 0.02-
A vacuum leak causes loss of function of the brake booster, resulting in a brake pedal that feels firm, not soft. (ie. I don't think a vacuum leak is the issue in this case).

Soft / sinking pedal is most often an indicator of air in the system somewhere or possibly a failing master cylinder. I'm not sure how to test a master cylinder out of the car.

SkyRyder55

Veteran Member
TDI
But would the problem still not be present then with out the car running? If master cylinder is failed it should still sink without vacuum assist.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Brakes sinking slowly to the floor is generally a leak somewhere or a master cylinder issue... adding vacuum assist by turning the engine on generally just makes it very obvious, particularly if it's a seal that only fails under pressure.

You don't mention if there's any fluid loss associated with this? Otherwise, my money's on a defective seal in the MC that's letting fluid bleed thru from one section to the other. Pretty typical failure mode, particularly if there's no fluid being lost.

SkyRyder55

Veteran Member
TDI
no loss of fluid noted. I was jamming a 2x4 between brake pedal and seat base to hold wheels when doing axle nuts. There was no loss of clamping force after it sat there for hours.
I guess ill try pinching off all the brake lines to isolate the issue to abs/MC unit.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
I was jamming a 2x4 between brake pedal and seat base to hold wheels when doing axle nuts. There was no loss of clamping force after it sat there for hours.
Hmmm... yup, that is a strange one then.

Did this behaviour start *after* you did the axle nuts?

SkyRyder55

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't really know. I bought the car as a non running unit. Drove it home. Swapped in new engine. Confirmed drive ability. then did brake work. So I never noticed the brake issue till now. as I've gotten temp insurance to get the safety done.