Brake issue after timing belt change

psaboic

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta GLS Black
Ok, did the full timing belt change and such today. Can runs very nice, and starts a lot easier. Went for a test drive and noticed an issue with the brakes.

First couple of stops there was NO vacuum assist at all (and this was after idling the engine for almost 45 minutes while fin tuning the injection timing with VAG-Com). Came right home and looked for any disconnected hoses, etc and all looked good.

Test drove it again, and now the brakes act normally for the first two presses of the pedal, then the pedal gets hard as a rock with little braking action. Wait 5 seconds and the pedal acts normal again for a press or two and then no vacuum assist again. I'm convinced it has something to do with removing the vacuum pump and moving it around during the belt change. I put a new gasket on the pump when I reinstalled it and it is not pinched. Where do I look for the issue and how can I test the pump and the brake booster to find the problem.

psaboic

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta GLS Black
Also, is it possible to install the vacuum pump and it not be mated with the slot in the cam (ie no vacuum pump action when engine running) or does it have to be installed in the slot to properly bolt down the pump.

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
No it is original....I will look at it. ANy other ideas?

You can connect in a manual vacuum pump to that line with it pulled from the pump. See if it holds. If it doesn't you need to start looking for vacuum leaks. That would be my guess still.