Brake interlock?

Kayakkermit

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI, 2002, Silver
Tried searching this first, probably just missed it but:
Car: '02 TDI 155k kms, auto tranny.

Symptom: (just learned of it today from wife) While trying to get the car in gear yesterday, it would not come out of Park.
She tried pushing harder on brake pedal (I have since told her she only needs to push hard enough for the interlock to come off :rolleyes: ) to no avail.
Shut car off, tried again, tried playing with emergency brake. Nothing.
Shut car off again, pushed really hard on brake, this time it came out of park.

She had no issues with it today.

It sounds to me like maybe the brake interlock switch is acting up, but she didn't notice if the "foot on brake" light came off yesterday.
Any other possible causes anyone can think of?
What's involved in changing that sensor, and any idea how expensive this one is?
I have the Bently at home, but am at work right now.

Kayakkermit

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI, 2002, Silver
Update... wife says light did NOT come off when she was stepping on the brakes... so sounds like switch is sticking.
Again, anyone have any idea how hard to replace it, or can it be cleaned up and relubed?

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
The brake light switch is bad. In the us they've been recalled. This is a chronic problem... the switch itself is around $8 US as I recall.

-Jason

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
There was also a second brake light switch recall due to a large number of them being incorrectly installed during the first brake light switch recall....

Kayakkermit

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI, 2002, Silver
Guess that makes sense that the brake light switch would be the same switch used for the interlock.
I know there is a writeup here on replacing those, and I know to be cautious because of the ratcheting.
Thanks guys, really appreciate it... had all kinds of nasty thoughts about having to remove the console to get at some dumb switch... thought it might be what locks the gearshift in place.