Brake failure.

jaed_43725

Veteran Member
TDI
04' Jetta wagon
:eek: Need some help here. I was stopped to make a left turn when I heard a pop from my brakes and then my foot went to the floor. I Tried pumping the pedal to little avail. There is also a grinding metallic scraping noise whenever I let off the throttle. If I am giving it throttle the noise goes away. I looked and so no leaks, and my vacuum lines are fine. Does anyone have any ideas? :eek:

Also on top of that the calipers should be in the front of the disk yes? :eek:

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
Pedal going to the floor is loss of brake pressure. It's not uncommon to have the master cylinder fail suddenly like that. It could be a caliper seal that just failed, too.

What is your mechanical ability level? Handy with a hammer? Basic maintenance? Or rebuilt an engine last week? I'm exaggerating, of cource, but just trying to gauge what kind of advice to give.

Tony

jaed_43725

Veteran Member
TDI
04' Jetta wagon
I found the problem. On the drivers side the inside portion of the rotor came off the rotor and shattered. So when it happened it made a nice loud pop. Then the inside brake pad fell. But the caliper escaped unharmed. So I am ordering some S & P slotted rotors and Hawk HP pads from KNS Brakes. I will be getting stainless lines very soon. That will probably conclude all my brake upgrades. My mech level is rebuild.