Boston One Fund manager hired by VW for claim compensation

imurrx

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 TDI Cup Street Edition
http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/nati...ndle-Emission-Cheating-Claims--362831361.html
This guy ran the fund that the city of Boston ran after the marathons bombings from a few years ago. No big controversy except the people who were caught trying to scam the system.

I have a better feeling from this now after hearing about this going forward. Looks like owners will be less likely to be screwed when they want to claim a loss of car value due to the emmisions scandal.

Last edited:

Jeta Life

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG Auto
Big news for Monday morning. Guess a lot of people away for the weekend, very little response so far. Sounds like good news.

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/aut...en-feinberg-go-guy-crisis-settlements-n482871

FYI: I think the Jalopnik article is incorrect in saying the Feinberg program is independent of VW, my understanding is that Feinberg is coordinating with VW on it to eliminate class action suits since you have to sign a waiver not to sue VW with other lawyers. At first I thought he was going to write big checks but I guess it will just be class action type payouts to supplement the Goodwill package.. Not a big payout probably...and VW will still have to come up with a fix.

Last edited:

hex_915

TDI
12' TDI Sedan
Unless he has a solution for my $6k+ negative equity (from the $1.5-$2k just a few months ago) I'm not holding my breath.

I keep hearing speculation of certain cars being bought back, wonder what the criteria would be. I love my car but I'd jump on that in a heartbeat if mine qualified.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
Unless he has a solution for my $6k+ negative equity (from the $1.5-$2k just a few months ago) I'm not holding my breath.

I keep hearing speculation of certain cars being bought back, wonder what the criteria would be. I love my car but I'd jump on that in a heartbeat if mine qualified.
Do you have gap coverage? My $.02... If you do...they should have to eat the difference.

hex_915

TDI
12' TDI Sedan
Do you have gap coverage? My $.02... If you do...they should have to eat the difference.
I do have GAP, that's the only add-on I purchased in finance, and only because I got it at cost. I'm not in a rush, I'll wait out and see what happens.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
It's conceivable. It's pretty likely that if you opt to leave your vehicle alone (not having the "fix" done, whatever it might be), you get nuthin' (aside from the $1000 that you already got). But this will be your choice. It looks like it has been recognized that people aren't going to be willing to have their vehicles modified without being encouraged ($$$) to do so.

It remains to be seen what will happen to people who have crystallized a loss by selling the car. There are many different scenarios here. There are people who have already sold, and taken a loss. There are other people who want to keep the car but will not want the car modified no matter what. Others haven't sold yet but won't want to keep the car post-fix. Others will put up with the modification but only if there is some encouragement ($) and only if there is a good strong extended warranty to back it up (personally, that would be my choice - No way would I want a retrofitted SCR system if it weren't backed up by a LONG no-excuses warranty.)

I've said this before ... but if they want to retrofit SCR, as far as MY opinion is, the complete text of the emissions warranty has to be similar to "The cost to the customer of causing a "check engine" lamp to turn off shall be zero, and the cost to the customer of passing a state/provincial emission test shall be zero outside of the actual cost of having the test performed once." END. No mention of age, no mention of mileage, no more refusing to pay for a clogged EGR filter because the main DPF failed, no more replacing the DPF but not paying to replace the sensor that caused regens to fail. They make a Rube Goldberg emission control system ... they pay to keep it working. If they don't do that then the TDI in the family (my sister's) isn't getting fixed and my friend's almost-identical TDI isn't getting fixed.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
This topic has been discussed extensively in "Threadzilla."

imurrx

Veteran Member
TDI
When I started this thread I checked threadzilla and did not see it in there. My honest opinion, there should be a new forum to contain all recall related topics. Having one gargantuous thread is unwieldy.

Jeta Life

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG Auto
The topics and scenarios discussed throughout the threads have common themes so it's kind of difficult not to allude to the threadzilla and it is very cumbersome to page through it sometimes. I'd rather post in smaller threads, finding this one is sort of an escape from the madness there.
I found Feinberg's appointment by VW initially just raising of the eyebrows. I've been reading various online articles but would like to wait until I have an opinion on his hiring. For me it sort of casts a cloud over what's going on right now between EPA CARB VW and Feinberg who is perhaps a moderator. I'm not sure if he's in there in the boardroom but the man's connected.
Whatever happens we just may as well just enjoy our cars because some of the political maneuvering and negotiations are far beyond our scope of control. Just thinking about the retrofit so much has actually provoked some kind of bad dream I had recently. More like a nightmare.
I don't think most of us can even fathom the complexity such a retrofit would create. Brian the moderator here raised excellent points. If VW is required to perform such repairs then VW better be prepared for post retrofit blues. Warranty protection, lifetime AdBlue, etc. Boy oh boy I wish I had just gotten that Passat TDI back in 2012.
What I don't understand I'm not going to try and wrap my brains around. It just sounds like a bad nightmare and somebody called it a Frankenstein type of experiment on another thread. I'm going to call it Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde. We are now Mr. Hyde and if tinkered with become some sort of twisted laboratory madness.
We love our TDIs and they are without a doubt some really complex little machines. Man I just long for the simplicity my 1991 Jetta GL 5 speed used to have. Zero problems not zero emissions. Zero problems.
Everything is sort of self inflicted. We could all come up with drastic measures for drastic problems. But right now VW just wants to back in a time capsule and undo some things about 10 years ago. I got a feeling VW and EPA have been discussing this for years not months, years.
VW made a bold move to Chattanooga and that will help. Give that AdBlue to Passat only though, hmm. Then they play catch up and Jetta gets it in 2015 I think. A dark cloud casts over Wolfsburg right now.
Just give them a break and plant some trees not fair to make owners deal with more anxiety and post retrofit blues. You know some of those mechanics are going to take shortcuts on a 10 hour job that after parts and labor end up costing more than the car itself. Ridiculous, surely the gods must have a sense of humor.

imurrx

Veteran Member
TDI
I too wish I got 2012 Passat TDI back 3 years ago. I just loved this car (2010 Tdi cup) when I read about it in 2009 and really wanted one but new baby and finances said no. When I was looking in 2012 and saw this used for $23,000 I could not hold myself back.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
It's conceivable. It's pretty likely that if you opt to leave your vehicle alone (not having the "fix" done, whatever it might be), you get nuthin' (aside from the $1000 that you already got). But this will be your choice. It looks like it has been recognized that people aren't going to be willing to have their vehicles modified without being encouraged ($$$) to do so.

It remains to be seen what will happen to people who have crystallized a loss by selling the car. There are many different scenarios here. There are people who have already sold, and taken a loss. There are other people who want to keep the car but will not want the car modified no matter what. Others haven't sold yet but won't want to keep the car post-fix. Others will put up with the modification but only if there is some encouragement ($) and only if there is a good strong extended warranty to back it up (personally, that would be my choice - No way would I want a retrofitted SCR system if it weren't backed up by a LONG no-excuses warranty.)

I've said this before ... but if they want to retrofit SCR, as far as MY opinion is, the complete text of the emissions warranty has to be similar to "The cost to the customer of causing a "check engine" lamp to turn off shall be zero, and the cost to the customer of passing a state/provincial emission test shall be zero outside of the actual cost of having the test performed once." END. No mention of age, no mention of mileage, no more refusing to pay for a clogged EGR filter because the main DPF failed, no more replacing the DPF but not paying to replace the sensor that caused regens to fail. They make a Rube Goldberg emission control system ... they pay to keep it working. If they don't do that then the TDI in the family (my sister's) isn't getting fixed and my friend's almost-identical TDI isn't getting fixed.
Yup. They'll have to come up with some way to compensate/bribe people to take their cars in for a fix. For me...that amount would have to be WELL over $5k and an extended warranty. Why that amount? That's an amount of money that I could foresee needing when 'x' system grenades post-fix and I have to shell out to fix it out of pocket at the dealer.

The people that already panic dumped their cars...they fall in the "tough $h1t" category. Seriously...there was absolutely no LOGICAL reason to unload their cars at a loss early on. If they file as a separate class action...I would stand-by with a bag of popcorn to listen to that argument (for why they should be compensated).

I will most likely be in the same boat. Unless I'm adequately compensated, I will just not take my car in. To me...it's not just an economy issue, but a "I don't want to drive around the German equivalent of a Bubba rigged car while I still have a car payment." Now if they want to pay off my loan with VW Credit...i'll take it in for a fix. :)

TDI-rex

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S DSG
Yup. They'll have to come up with some way to compensate/bribe people to take their cars in for a fix. For me...that amount would have to be WELL over $5k and an extended warranty. Why that amount? That's an amount of money that I could foresee needing when 'x' system grenades post-fix and I have to shell out to fix it out of pocket at the dealer.
Perhaps I am missing something here, but I am pretty sure VW's lawyers and any court would be quick to point out that you're asking to be compensated for risk of repairs AND eliminate any risk of repair costs for you in addition to that.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
Perhaps I am missing something here, but I am pretty sure VW's lawyers and any court would be quick to point out that you're asking to be compensated for risk of repairs AND eliminate any risk of repair costs for you in addition to that.
Yup. If they want people to bring their cars in to receive a retrofit...they're going to have to pay up. Whatever pocket/account they want that money to come out of is for them to decide.

That being said, they aren't going to do this because it would be a pain in the a55 for them and it would make more sense for them to just offer everyone a chunk of money and bribe the EPA to just make the situation go away. Let's be honest...even $1k is more than any TDI owner is going to get from the class actions by the time the lawyers get done taking their piece of the pie.

TDILeo

Veteran Member
TDI
CW 2011 Golf TDI 6M Repurchased By VW 1/30/17 1985 VW GTI
I found Feinberg's appointment by VW initially just raising of the eyebrows. I've been reading various online articles but would like to wait until I have an opinion on his hiring. For me it sort of casts a cloud over what's going on right now between EPA CARB VW and Feinberg who is perhaps a moderator. I'm not sure if he's in there in the boardroom but the man's connected.
VWs hiring of Feinberg suggests, to me, that they want to put this matter in their rear view mirror sooner rather than later. I'm of the same opinion. Unclear whether or not this will bode well for TDI owners. From what I have read about Feinberg, he is pretty assertive with his recommendations. I really feel we will have some clear direction by Spring.

Jeta Life

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG Auto
I too wish I got 2012 Passat TDI back 3 years ago. I just loved this car (2010 Tdi cup) when I read about it in 2009 and really wanted one but new baby and finances said no. When I was looking in 2012 and saw this used for $23,000 I could not hold myself back.
Believe me everytime I see one of those beautiful American made Passats I think the same, it was a little out of my range at the time. At least you've got the cup edition and I've got an updated emissions 2 piece system and rid of 2009s design flaw..which I'm wondering may get those 09s in a special spot.
VWs hiring of Feinberg suggests, to me, that they want to put this matter in their rear view mirror sooner rather than later. I'm of the same opinion. Unclear whether or not this will bode well for TDI owners. From what I have read about Feinberg, he is pretty assertive with his recommendations. I really feel we will have some clear direction by Spring.
True, he is known for his speedy resolution dispute system so things don't drag in court. VW wants this to go away quicker than Porsche can make it 0 to 60. Gen 1 fixes will take longer but VW has submitted a fix plan that is subject to EPA approval. A deadline date for the EPA response to VWs plan has been set to around January 14 I think. EPA is evaluating VWs proposed fix as we speak.
That's a couple more weeks for threadzilla to grow to about 1200 pages or 16000 posts or so.

ivebeeneverywhere

TDI
2011 JSW 6MT (buyback someday)
GAP doesn't cover negative equity for this. It only covers it in the event of a total loss - theft, collision, flood. It's not to bail you out from depreciation due to other factors - normal or otherwise.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
GAP doesn't cover negative equity for this. It only covers it in the event of a total loss - theft, collision, flood. It's not to bail you out from depreciation due to other factors - normal or otherwise.
You're correct. However, if by some miniscule chance VW was forced to buy some of the cars (just a hypothetical here)...it's not outside of the realm of possibility that they could take back cars in that boat as a sort of "my bad"/attempt to "make it right." I don't see that happening, but stranger things have happened.

hex_915

TDI
12' TDI Sedan
You're correct. However, if by some miniscule chance VW was forced to buy some of the cars (just a hypothetical here)...it's not outside of the realm of possibility that they could take back cars in that boat as a sort of "my bad"/attempt to "make it right." I don't see that happening, but stranger things have happened.

That would be too easy.

SD1

TDI
2013 TDI DSG
I think they are going to do everything in their power to avoid buying them back and it seems some on this forum think that what they have done isnt that big of a deal.

I think you are wrong. They acted criminally when they SOLD the cars, nothing after that fact will change. If someone can prove they were defrauded, which is pretty damn easy at this point, I think it VERY reasonable to presume a judgement to undo the transaction will certainly be one remedy.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
I suspect they will want to end run all the lawsuits and have owners make claims direct, like BP did with the oil spill.

jhinsc

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium
I for one can't wait to see what Feinberg proposes. With all 2012-2014 Passats TDI's and all other 2015+ TDI's, software updates will likely have us using add'l Adblue fluids to meet emissions, and I think our performance and mileage likely won't be affected much, if at all. so I'm expecting to be compensated for the extra AdBlue fluid usage and extra depreciation I've suffered. So I only see another potential $3k - $4k coming my way - but of course I'm only speculating and have no sources for this information except for the voices in my head.:D But the 2009+ non-SCR TDI's - well that's a big unknown. The Euro fixes won't cut it here. For the newer, lower mileage non-SCR TDI's, the big unknown is how to fix/compensate these owners? For older higher mileage non-SCR TDI's, where do you draw the line on what's fixable versus a 'buyout'? And if owners don't want a 'buyout', how much should be paid to them? These are just some of the issues Feinberg will have to work through to come up with something fair and equitable.

Jeta Life

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG Auto
What helps me is this quote from Milton's Paradise Lost

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven."

It all depends on what you you make of the situation. Some are using the Goodwill funds right away but I am waiting for the fix and fine announcement. I did not want to put $1000 on this car with this much uncertainty. Hopefully it's an easy fix and hopefully we'll get another payout.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
I for one can't wait to see what Feinberg proposes.
I can't wait, either. We have a fairly newer JSW but it already has 116K miles that hits the value relatively hard (we now owe a few thousand more than dealers are willing to offer in trade) but the vehicle is still in excellent condition so I wouldn't want to hand the keys back to VW for a pittance.

If VW cuts me a check for $3to4k or they take that off one of the new GSW TDI that have been sitting in unsellable state and will be coming up on two model years old, I'll consider it a win.