boost controller

Gothmolly

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
I have an older boostvalve which used to do a better job of keeping the spikes down. It's the kind that opens up to send boost back down the vacuum line to push the turbo the other way. Now either the turbo is stuck at a different position, or the valve has crapped out. Getting 1st gear WOT spikes up to around 25. Regardless I'll need a new one.

Can someone recommend a good mechanical boost controller that will keep spikes/max below 20 psi?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Haye to be that guy... But boost valves are just a bandaid solution. You really should just repair the cause of boost spikes. Leaky vacuum lines, sticky actuator....

Gothmolly

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
Haye to be that guy... But boost valves are just a bandaid solution. You really should just repair the cause of boost spikes. Leaky vacuum lines, sticky actuator....
The spike happens when you hit the throttle - boost climbs rapidly and will overshoot unless the boost valve cuts it (or used to do, well). Steady state it simmers right down to about 18. That's how its always worked.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Just because it worked, does not mean it is a proper fix to the issue.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
HI,

Just curious but why not just go back with a new boost valve ( I am assuming the boost valve brand one).

I have a boost valve but have not installed it yet ....

I have an issue similar to you ..... overshoots then comes back down steady state.

I had a guru look stuff over and even clean out the vanes / new vac lines etc but same issue .... overshoot then steady state.

Normally that would not be a real big deal (the overshoot) BUT since I put in a 3 Bar map without a retune (yet .... I'll do it after all my mods then have it tuned again .... doing it incrementally after each change would get expensive) it shoots and pauses at 24 PSI before slowly going back down ( I don't want to blow my poor little VNT 15 with 424K miles so a boost valve would be a cheap "fix" but just have not gotten the time to install it so , for the time being, my right foot is my boost regulator ;-)

Andrew

PS - there is not really alot inside the boost valve itself ... I wonder what went wrong with yours if it worked before? or maybe as you said something with the turbo changed or something else changed making the boost valve ineffective?

Gothmolly

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
HI,

Just curious but why not just go back with a new boost valve ( I am assuming the boost valve brand one).
PS - there is not really alot inside the boost valve itself ... I wonder what went wrong with yours if it worked before? or maybe as you said something with the turbo changed or something else changed making the boost valve ineffective?
I can't remember where I got it - hence asking for a recommendation. :)

I think the turbo must be stickier now, the adjustment rod is super hard to move. Or maybe the adjustment rod has twisted a bit, the car just feels spikier than it used to.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Have you ran requested vs actual boost logs? Is is hitting limp mode? This seems like a solution in search of a problem...