BMW 524td

deecee

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat Tornado Red, 99.5 Golf ALH, 2002 Jetta ALH
Does anybody know anything about these cars as I might be interested in it for my wife, she has never driven before and wants an automatic, his might just work.

Are there any known faults or problems I should look out for on these ?

Paul in N FL

TDI
GF's '00 Golf
Does anybody know anything about these cars as I might be interested in it for my wife, she has never driven before and wants an automatic, his might just work.

Are there any known faults or problems I should look out for on these ?
I've heard good things of you take are of them.

Check out mye28.com

A quick search will pull up so stuff to watch out for. They even have a sub forum dedicated to these.

deecee

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for that, i had a quick look and they seem like decent motors.

deecee

Veteran Member
TDI
Damn it!!! I have been trying to get in touch with the seller about this all week and finally he gets in touch with me this morning to tell me its sold.

My wife is giving me hell about it. If anyone knows where there is another one of these for sale let me know.

Paul in N FL

TDI
GF's '00 Golf
Did you check mye28's FS/WTB section.

You could post there if there aren't any for sale in a reasonable distance...

deecee

Veteran Member
TDI
I have posted a wanted ad on E28 as it doesn't look like there are any for sale anywhere at the minute, I am a bit bummed out about missing that one as it was so close to me but I guess that is the way it goes, it went to a BMW collector in West Virginia, so I will keep my eyes on craigslist.

I am also looking at vw's but I really want a diesel as we use biodiesel and it is for my wife who is dead set on car being an automatic, so from what I can tell the two words vw and automatic don't really mix that well but also we are looking to spend as little as possible as it is only for running around town in so one of those BMW's would have fit the bill. There is a dealer near Atlanta that has one but he is asking $3k and it doesn't look in too great a shape but then again it is 26 years old!!

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Seems to my what you want is a MB 300TD. Lots of them around, mechanically bullet proof. Automatic transmission. Lots of them running veggie or bio

I have posted a wanted ad on E28 as it doesn't look like there are any for sale anywhere at the minute, I am a bit bummed out about missing that one as it was so close to me but I guess that is the way it goes, it went to a BMW collector in West Virginia, so I will keep my eyes on craigslist.

I am also looking at vw's but I really want a diesel as we use biodiesel and it is for my wife who is dead set on car being an automatic, so from what I can tell the two words vw and automatic don't really mix that well but also we are looking to spend as little as possible as it is only for running around town in so one of those BMW's would have fit the bill. There is a dealer near Atlanta that has one but he is asking $3k and it doesn't look in too great a shape but then again it is 26 years old!!

DrivenMotorsLLC

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2001 Jetta Sedan GL 5-Speed with 245k and climbing everyday
Mb

I think they are right. The e300d is the way to go. And I'm not just saying that because I just posted one. ;)

mohawk69

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 B4, 1996 B4V, 2000 Beetle TDI
I think they're describing a 300TD. You've posted a 300dt. Having owned one of those too I think "bulletproof" would be the last word I would use to describe one of those.

v8volvo

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Rare indeed. Same motor and same ZF trans too in the Lincolns. I've dealt with a few in Bimmers and seen _one_ still alive in a Ford, ran good but the air suspension was shot. Pretty neat though, Ford cared enough about making it look legitimate under the hood that they invested in a different valve cover for the Bimmer diesel, complete with a Ford logo cast into it! Must have given the original engineers fits when they saw it... :rolleyes:

Nice motors, quite similar in design to the VAG/Volvo D24T, same displacement, OHC six with an aluminum head, several decades' worth of development ahead of the old MB 616/617 design. Both the sixes run very well, quieter/smoother/faster than an equivalent Mercedes, but both are fragile in terms of the cyl head and gasket... Volvos can be retrofitted to an updated MLS headgasket that is a major improvement, I don't know whether the BMW motor has something similar available but I guess not. The Bimmer has a crossflow head that is good for an extra few HP versus the Volvo but makes working on the injectors, glow plugs, IP, etc more difficult. Both are uncommon enough that they are not the easiest to get parts for, but the Volvo is easier than the Bimmer, in part because of its number of common parts with other, more pedestrian VW and Audi motors. Biggest challenge with both is finding someone competent to work on them. The cars are rare but people willing and capable to keep them going are rarer still.

The Bimmers I dealt with both were neat vehicles but in need of fairly significant work and with owners that were trying to find ways to keep them on the road, with limited success. Basic maint and even IP timing adjustment on one of them was pretty straightforward but that was as far as I wanted to get involved... and as far as my equipment would take me anyway. If you're excited by the idea of having one and are OK with learning to wrench on it or finding a mechanic who wants to work on it, and has the right special equipment and knowledge to do it effectively, or is willing to climb the learning curve for you without making you broke (good luck!), then I know of one near me that is in need of help but mostly solid with an owner that would probably sell...

Otherwise better off with a Volvo, a Mercedes, or a TDI with an 09A... ;)