blowing sound with acceleration?

moved2tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 New Beetle 5spd
I have a 2001 NB with 118,000 miles on it and I began getting a blowing (or sucking) sound on acceleration. The sound is pretty loud and mainly present with a load. I can hear it while revving the engine but you can really hear it the loudest when accelerating while driving. The sound starts during acceleration and then ends, it seems to correlate with boost pressure. There is no smoke coming out of the tailpipe and there are no codes from the Vag-Com.

I checked the forums and figured it must be a leak somewhere between the turbo and the EGR but after pressurizing the system with an air compressor I found no leaks.

I took it to the dealer (should have known better) and they said the bearing in the turbo is melted and it is keeping the turbo from spinning. That it was caused because of oil starvation. They said when they checked the oil it was not even on the dipstick. Pay us $2500 and we will fix it. I said go to hell took my car and left.

I checked the oil it was about 1 quart low not empty as they implied. I can also still here the turbo whine on accelerations too. So I hooked up a Vag-Com and checked the specified and actual boost pressures. There is boost pressure but the actual pressure does not get as high as the specified.

I am at a loss and have been searching the forums for 2 days now. Any suggestions, is it the turbo on the way out, a leak in the exaust side of the system, or a leak on the intake side that does not show up unless pressure is greater than 15 pounds? I would hate to spend the money on a turbo if it is not?

Thanks

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
I vote for #3.

Check along the turbo-intercooler-intake path again. What can happen is a hose can split in such a way as to make it difficult to see. Squeeze and flex.

Geordi

Veteran Member
Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is reall
TDI
14 JSW DSG, 03 Wagon 01M, 400k and IPT performance auto!
What he said. Sounds like one of the rubber couplings or the upper intake pressure hose is split. Sucks too, that upper hose is like $60. Dang. Mine has a small hole in it, and I'm just procrastinating on replacing the hose. Be sure to replace those half-assed snap clips with actual hose clamps. Stupid stealership put the springs back on WRONG (How do you F those up?) and the lower intake tube on the pressurized side blew itself off of the turbo on the third takeoff from a light. Drove right back, they tried telling me that I would need to pay for them to correct it. Yea, right, and do I LOOK that stupid? I don't go there anymore.

--Jim

Yz2K130

TDI
01 Jetta, black
I had an issue just like that. A couple of weeks after a timing belt job I began to notice that blowing air sound. I checked all my Turbo/EGR/intercooler hoses and could find no leaks. The car was lower on power but nothing major. Couple weeks passed and the noise continued on, so I did more inspecting. I noticed that the intercooler had oil residue on it. Ends up that the hose from the EGR to intercooler had slid out from the clamp on the intercooler, but it was underneath where I could not see. Changed the spring clamps to regular hose clamps and all is good.

moved2tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 New Beetle 5spd
I think I found it!

The metal pipe from the exhaust manifold to the EGR cooler is cracked and leaking exhaust. I remember reading one post somewhere and they said look for carbon buildup where the leak is located and that is how I spotted it from under the engine.

Stupid dealer wanted to replace the turbo!

I wonder how much this part is or if I should just remove the exhaust cooler, my EGR is locked closed anyways.

Thanks for the quick replies.

Yz2K130 I am all for a Get Together because the other GTGs are always up north or in Texas, just too far for me to go.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Just get a small piece of steel or aluminum and make yourself a block off plate. Insert it inbetween the cooler & the flex pipe. Problem solved. It all looks stock and since your EGR is already admitedly non functioning, no worries.

moved2tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 New Beetle 5spd
Thanks for the quick fix Wingnut!

It is amazing how the simple things work the best.

Thanks to all for the help.