biodiesel processor

weekender

TDI
2003 TDI jetta
Which biodiesel processor do you have? I would like to start making it but I'm not sure what to look for. Is there a complete kit that is popular? Any input would be welcomed. I wanted to get a grease car kit but I think now this may be the best way to go.

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, Silver/Grey
You could build one like mine. Big, plastic, and unsafe! Just a ticking timebomb. I wonder when my house will burn down?

The only unsafe thing about my processor is climbing the ladder to get to the top of it. Plastic can be done right... or wrong. Most of the ones on the market are unsafe or just plain bad designs.

Just a jab in the ribs, Murphy... your machines look great.

girl_mark

Veteran Member
I of course use an Appleseed. At home I have one 'on steroids'- it's a 100-gallon tank, which I modified extensively to add an extra port to draw biodiesel off of (from above the glycerine layer), along with a static mixer, bigger pump, etc. I had to leave town before I got to test out the 'on steroids' part. I'm about to modify my 'normal' Appleseed to test out Rick of b100supply.com's venturi and other parts from various vendors.

Mark

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hey Mark, let me know next time you're out in MD. I'd love to have you critique my 350 gallon processor!

quantum_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
R320 CDI, '96 B4V (for sale)
McBrew said:
Hey Mark, let me know next time you're out in MD. I'd love to have you critique my 350 gallon processor!

I'll hopefully have one to critique in the spring here in the midwest too... but it'll be of approved materials.;) Maybe not quite as solid as one of Murphy's, but metal and stout none-the-less.

I need to check the processor vendors to see what fun toys to add to the new uberprocessor. Are Rick and Graydon carrying the larger pumps yet? I'm going to love sucking in a whole drum of methanol rather than having to do all that silly transferring. :D

girl_mark

Veteran Member
No, they're not carrying anything that big yet. But Murphy does, I think, sell big pumps singly. I'm sure he'll pipe up.

quantum_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
R320 CDI, '96 B4V (for sale)
BTW Mark- I'm getting interest in the farm-scale class for March already so are you ready to head to Illinois? :p

2000m2

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat
Have you checked out the BioPro 190? Not exactly a bargain, but seems to work pretty reliably.

dddiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Jetta
Appleseeds work great, but so does my steel 55 gal drum reactor with an 8" standpipe do drain off the fuel first, after settling. My BD passes the 3/27 test everytime. My setup is proof that you can safely make quality fuel on the cheap.

BumbleBeeTJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG
does the Appleseed simply heats the WVO up to certain temperature and drain?(after filtering of course)

Murphy2000

Veteran Member
TDI
If you want to go big, this is the absolute best way to do it:

http://www.murphysmachines.com/MM500.html

It wins in every category. Size, cost, functionality, safety, expandability and quality.

Designed for farmers and businesses who use lots of fuel but don't want a fancy setup they can not repair themselves.

I even have a parts kit for it that will save you weeks of time and thousands in cash.

Someone mentioned my big pumps. Those are here:
http://www.murphysmachines.com/pump_motor.html#pumps_motors

If you are going with direct discharge, the 1.5 hp is good to around 350 gallons (by the "Murphy Standard") but they are successfully being used on 2500 gallon tanks. (not recommended)

If you are going through a resistance circuit such as a heat exchanger loop, I wouldnt go larger than 250 gallons.

These are low pressure pumps designed for high volume. The significant portion of the energy made available to the pump head is designed to produce volumes not high head pressures.

This is a strickly volume by muscle pump and would not work well with any venturi. It would however work well with an eductor setup.

AK islandr

TDI
Silver 03 GLS 5 spd wagon
Cost of making your own vs. buying biodiesel

I have read many websites and blogs but cannot find what a gallon of BD costs, after purchasing all the equipment, when brewing restaurant WVO? Before I start tracking sources for WVO I want to know if it is worth the time and investment or should I stick to buying B99? Does anyone know?
Here in Portlandia B99 is $3.49/gal., just slightly higher than D2. What is with the cardlock stations listed on NBB retail list, am I required to be a member to buy biodiesel from them? Which cardlock company is most prevalent?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I have read the cost to process is around 75 cents to $1. That is after you have bought and built the equipment and the WVO is collected for free.

dddiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Jetta
AK islandr said:
I have read many websites and blogs but cannot find what a gallon of BD costs, after purchasing all the equipment, when brewing restaurant WVO? Before I start tracking sources for WVO I want to know if it is worth the time and investment or should I stick to buying B99? Does anyone know?
Here in Portlandia B99 is $3.49/gal., just slightly higher than D2. What is with the cardlock stations listed on NBB retail list, am I required to be a member to buy biodiesel from them? Which cardlock company is most prevalent?
You really should have made this question it's own thread, rather than asking it here.

However, I think you should look at it like this.
How many gallons of fuel do you burn a year? Let's say... 1000.
Making Biodiesel costs you about $1 per gallon. That's not including setup costs, or your time, just chemicals and electricity. If buying your fuel now costs you $3.50 per gallon, then you'll be saving $2.50 per gallon. That's an annual savings of $2500. If your setup costs are less than $2500, then your break even point is year. After that, you start to reap the financial benefits.

Believe me.... you can get set up for a lot less than $2500. Build your own processor. If you can weld or have a friend that can, Murphy's plans are excellent. Otherwise, build an appleseed, or use a steel 55 gal drum as a processor. Use bulkhead fittings if you have to . It's very doable.

All the best.

MrErlo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf 4dr 5sp
i hate to continue this thread-jackery, but a couple quick comments

dddiesel said:
How many gallons of fuel do you burn a year? Let's say... 1000.
that's a generous estimation. 40mpg * 1,000 = 40,000 miles in a year. i think that's probably more than most people, even TDI owners, drive in a year. i'm sure there are some, but that's around 110 miles/day or 153 miles/day if you don't count weekends.

Making Biodiesel costs you about $1 per gallon. That's not including setup costs, or your time, just chemicals and electricity.
[edit] perhaps more avid homebrewers can weigh in on this issue, but i know the guy in Omaha who does around 150gallons every 2 weeks says $0.65/gallon including chemicals, electricity and all. his time isn't counted, but if you consider it a hobby rather than a chore then you're just putting your spare time to good use.

If you can weld or have a friend that can, Murphy's plans are excellent. Otherwise, build an appleseed, or use a steel 55 gal drum as a processor.
i don't want to discourage people from using Murph's processors, they're top notch. but for most people the appleseed will be able to do around 40 gallons of fuel in a couple days. if you only run one batch a week that's 2,000 gallons in a year.

disclosure: i do not currently homebrew, i buy ASTM from a local producer. so what i've said is just info i've gathered here and from talking to other homebrewers. hopefully i'll be brewing myself in the spring.

Last edited:

dddiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Jetta
That's what I said..... JUST chemicals and electricity... not your time.... not setup.

I figured 20 gal a week = 1000 a year, mostly because that's what I use. I brew 2000 gal a year, but I also heat my house with Biodiesel.

Setup costs can easily be in the $500-$1000 range. The break even point can then be measured in months.

All the best.

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
Lightflyer1 said:
I have read the cost to process is around 75 cents to $1. That is after you have bought and built the equipment and the WVO is collected for free.
Keep in mind that as biodiesel from home producers becomes more popular, Free WVO will quickly go the route of inexpensive fuel prices. Unfortunatly even waste products are subject to supply and demand.

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My cost is just over a dollar per gallon at this point... mostly due to the high price of methanol. When I started making bio, I was doing it for around 80 cents a gallon or so.

We brew about 3,600-4,000 gallons per year. Yes, we are feeding more than just my TDI! We started with an 80 gallon water heater appleseed setup, but couldn't keep up with our usage. Now we use a 350 gallon conical tank that is externally heated.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Scott_DeWitt said:
Keep in mind that as biodiesel from home producers becomes more popular, Free WVO will quickly go the route of inexpensive fuel prices. Unfortunatly even waste products are subject to supply and demand.
I burn only 20 gallons a month and the cafeteria at work supplies me with Canola oil, 5 gallons a week when I call them. Hot filtered oil delivered to my can and all I have to do is stop by and load it in the trunk. My needs are so small I think I can find 5 gallons a week or so. I also don't believe it will get all that popular than it is now. Plenty of people in and out of the hobby as interest swells and wanes. With the advent of the new cars supposedly not allowing 1st generation bio, the homebrewing crowd is fixed with the limited supply of older diesels out there. Just my gut feeling, but I agree oil will be harder to come by in the future. At least I don't need hundreds of gallons like the Dodge guys I took my class with. I can't even imagine having to come up with that much oil on a regular basis.

dddiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Jetta
I collect 40-50 gallons of oil per week, from 5 chinese restaurants. There's only 2 owners between the 5 places. They keep opening new locations and saying..."You'll take that oil too... Right!?" I can't seem to say no.