Bilstein B 6 ride quality

5by50

TDI
2015 VW GSW TDI S
I just changed to 17inch wheels on my 2015 TDI S and now feel a more pronounced (Almost like a hopping in the rear). I felt it when I had the 16's on but now its more pronounced.
Could the rear B6 shocks be bad or too much (overkill) for this type of car?.
Thanks!!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I don't like Bilsteins on VWs, especially B6s. I think they're valved way too firm for what's a pretty primitive suspension in a relatively light car. But people's perceptions of ride quality is subjective, and some people love them. I'd put 100 lbs. or so in the cargo area and see if the ride improves. If it does, I think you have your answer.

5by50

TDI
2015 VW GSW TDI S
Thanks for your responses. The ride feels like there is a bad shock. Once you hit 65 you feel vibrations in the seat. Feels like an unbalanced tire but I had the 16's with the same but not as pronounced problem.
I did have three tires and wheels in the back and felt the same issue.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
firm shock + lower profile tires? on 17" rims + already issue = regret

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
The factory shocks were noticeably noisy especially in colder weather when I switched to 18' from 16' on my S. The koni special actives have corrected that problem as well as smoothed out the rear hop on curvy rippled pavement curves. Gas shocks just accentuate the beam axle bad manners. Front factory shocks aren't too bad at all. Anyone contemplating gas rear shocks as replacement might want to reconsider.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
I have 18" wheels with factory size tires on H&R sport springs and B8s (which I believe are even firmer). The ride to me is very firm, but not enough to need changing out. When my current tires wear out, I might go up just a touch on sidewall.

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 6 speed manual. B5 died at 302k miles.
H&R's with B8's: does that car ride like a GoKart?

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
Haha!
I went to a MQB "meet" here several months back and rode in a couple of GTIs that had stiffer setups that made me appreciate mine. It honestly is not bad at all, and does handle amazing. LSD helps put the power down real nice too!

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
Stiffer rear springing/ damper setups just make the beam axle rear want to skip across rough surfaces. When the tire leaves the ground, there is no control.

5by50

TDI
2015 VW GSW TDI S
I appreciate all your feedback and advice. I went from stock 16in (55) on my TDI S to 17in (45).
I already had the hub centric rings put in. I put the left rear wheel to the front left and that has improved the ride quality but I still feel (Too much road on rear) I feel it a little in my drivers seat. So I may switch to Koni Actives.
I have my OEM wheels for sale or best offer on this site. rich

gsmith41

TDI
Mk7 Golf 6MT Highline
Currently using Bilstein B8s with the OEM Canadian sport springs. I always found the stock struts to be under-dampened (lots of bounce over rolling bumps). I rode in a similar car with B6 struts and it still felt slightly under-dampened, hence the decision to go with B8s. I really like the way the car rides, not too stiff and feels great over large undulations in pavement. 235/ 40R-18 michelin pilot sport 4s tires for reference.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently using Bilstein B8s with the OEM Canadian sport springs. I always found the stock struts to be under-dampened (lots of bounce over rolling bumps). I rode in a similar car with B6 struts and it still felt slightly under-dampened, hence the decision to go with B8s. I really like the way the car rides, not too stiff and feels great over large undulations in pavement. 235/ 40R-18 michelin pilot sport 4s tires for reference.
I do wish I had gone with the sport springs or even GTI or R springs just for a little more softness. I really don't mind my setup at all, and it is relatively glued to the road :)

5by50

TDI
2015 VW GSW TDI S
Finally went to a different mechanic and got the Koni Special Active shocks for the rear. Better quality ride in my opinion.
I also had them replace the stock shock mounts with after market ones.
I am happy. So the fronts I have Bilstein B6 Struts and rears Koni Special Active!!!

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The koni's make a really big improvement, not really necessary to replace the mounts a they are quite robust. i found the oe sachs had gone bad, creating what sounded like a rattling hatch noise. The clicking was apparent when I checked the shocks off the car. Being basically a gas shock, they had lost most of their pressure, one more than the other.

5by50

TDI
2015 VW GSW TDI S
The koni's make a really big improvement, not really necessary to replace the mounts a they are quite robust. i found the oe sachs had gone bad, creating what sounded like a rattling hatch noise. The clicking was apparent when I checked the shocks off the car. Being basically a gas shock, they had lost most of their pressure, one more than the other.
So True " Stiffer rear springing/ damper setups just make the beam axle rear want to skip across rough surfaces. When the tire leaves the ground, there is no control".