Bike rack options

ticaf

Veteran Member
TDI
Stock 2015 Golf SW S Manual TDI
I'm getting ready to purchase some kind of bike rack for my mk7 GSW TDI, that can handle 2 adult bikes (or more).
I'm wondering if anybody here already figured out an affordable option (on the roof, or the back).
Thanks guys.

Z85rado

TDI
2015 Sportwaged TDI
I have a thule T2(i believe) bought about 6 years ago. 1.25 inch receiver. I have had it on many vehicles and being a hitch style can be removed relatively easily during the winter months. In the summer i leave it on unless we are going somewhere and I don't want to deal w/ it. Great rack, built in locks, stable. It will hold 2 downhill bikes which are 40 or sound pounds a piece with no issue. also being a TDI doesn't destroy the mileage like the fusion hybrid i had it on once.

ticaf

Veteran Member
TDI
I have a thule T2(i believe) bought about 6 years ago. 1.25 inch receiver. I have had it on many vehicles and being a hitch style can be removed relatively easily during the winter months. In the summer i leave it on unless we are going somewhere and I don't want to deal w/ it. Great rack, built in locks, stable. It will hold 2 downhill bikes which are 40 or sound pounds a piece with no issue. also being a TDI doesn't destroy the mileage like the fusion hybrid i had it on once.
Thanks for your reply. What trailer hitch have you installed ?

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
I think Kuat makes the best bike rack accessories, but "affordable" might not be the best description. I guess when you compare to similar items from Thule or Yakima, the prices aren't too dissimilar. I'd pick RockyMounts as a #2.

You probably already know most of this, but I'll write for others who are looking, based on my experience with the MkIV and Mk7.

(1) Trunk Rack: Cheapest and "easiest," has some drawbacks.

"Easy" on and off, and the cheapest solution, but you may lose the ability to easily access items in the trunk, the bikes may be less stable, and you may have to mount-dismount the rack and store it for every use. Some trunk racks are not happy with odd frame shapes/sizes, fenders, rear-racks, or other accessories, and some will hold your bikes with crankset against disc brake against spokes. You'll see little loss of FE, if any, as well as see little out of your rear window, and perhaps you'll get some wind whistle. Nylon web straps will need checking, especially if they see a lot of use, and don't overdo any corners or rough roads. If you leave the rack mounted in an unsavory area, be aware that most can be removed and taken. If you pull over for errands or food and walk away, bikes secured to a trunk rack are the most likely to walk away, too.

I'd suggest a Saris Bones over Thule or Yakima. The Bones-3 is +/-$150, the Kuat Highline-2 is $190.

(2) Roof Rack: Costs more, has some drawbacks.

Cross bars will allow you to carry other items on the roof, but otherwise you'll need additional roof racks to carry bikes- and be ready to deal with lifting overhead (and debris going from crankset/cassette to roof), along with wind noise, and loss of FE. Watch out for low clearance, high winds, heavy bikes, and the price of adding bars and racks. Once the cross bars are on, are you leaving them on, or taking off seasonally? Storing the roof racks? Using the bars for other sports? Once the bikes are on, you'll get wind noise and a definite drop in FE. Some roof racks will not play well with fat tires, fenders, tires that lose air, or odd frames shapes, etc. Good cross bars require a few minutes of thief-work to remove, and good roof racks will have some method of securing the bike to the rack to the car. A cable lock on the roof is only as good as a cable lock on the trunk, so look for one of the better systems if that's a concern to you. IMO, cross bars and accessories are best if you are using them for multiple sports and hauling stuff.

Whispbar made the best cross bars and roof racks, but after Yakima bought Whispbar, the cost of the old original items seem to have gone through the roof (if you can even find the right ones).

I'd pick used Whispbar cross bars and T-Slot accessories- (this makes life much, much easier), the Whispbars are silent, and no hit to FE once bikes are removed, even when you leave bike racks on. Yakima and Thule both have bars that now copy the Whispbar design, if they have T-slots they might be worth a look, but will be pricey. For roof racks, I'd look at ones that aren't bothered by frame shape (holding the bike by the tire, or down tube) rather than by the QR dropout or TA fork, but if you have fenders or racks, this may not work. These are, of course, often the most expensive.

(3) Hitch Rack: Usually costs the most, has some drawbacks.

If you don't have a hitch, and don't tow, then this is usually the most expensive option. If you already have a hitch or tow things, it's a different ballgame altogether. The cost of a hitch will depend on the brand and install price, if not DIY. There are lots of posts on this topic...Curt/Draw-Tite/Ecohitch/Bosal-Westfalia, from $150-$350+. Note that if the installed hitch is too low to the ground, or your car is lowered, you may get ground contact in some circumstances.

Hitch racks come in two main types: platform/tray and hanging/suspension. Each comes in different varieties, from swing-away, to tilt, to leveled ("levels, Jerry, levels"), to single/double arm....etc etc. The platforms are more stable, but more costly. The suspension racks will still require lifting, but not as much as a roof rack. There is less wind noise than roof racks, more stability than most trunk racks, and little FE penalty. The hitch rack is usually less prone to theft, since most are lockable to the receiver (and more clumsy to steal), and good ones make theft of the bikes more difficult, too. The view out the rear window may be obscured, and some hitch racks will interfere with accessing the trunk. Platform racks are bulkier, can be clumsy to insert into the receiver, and need more room for storage. Most will fold upwards when not in use, which is nice, but occasionally LE will complain they can't see the car's rear plates (this can be a complaint about trunk racks, too). Hanging racks are usually lighter, easier to mount in the receiver, and need less space for storage, but some won't play well with odd frames/small bikes/accessories, etc. Some platform racks don't work well with fenders, fat tires, etc.

I think the Kuat Sherpa is the best hitch rack for combination of quality, ease of use, and cost, but I prefer platform racks to hanging. I'd look for a good used one (original version or version 2.0) on Craigslist and pounce on a good deal. If you prefer a hanging rack, I'd pick the Kuat Beta, (which may have a replacement soon, and since I haven't checked it out, would not venture to offer a rec). RockyMounts has some great hitch racks, but they are not cheap.

Last word: I have friends that are very content with their inexpensive Allen/Hollywood/Chinese racks. They have them for about three years and buy new ones and are content again. And then they buy new ones about three years after that...

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I think Kuat makes the best bike rack accessories, but "affordable" might not be the best description.
In the words of every engineer everywhere: You can have strong, lightweight, cheap - pick any two.
Kuat went with options (1) and (2).

Kuat hits it out of the park with the Sherpa 2.0 rack (which, confusing to me at first, *is* available with a 1-¼" receiver neck; the "2.0" in "Sherpa 2.0" is "version2.0". It's also available with the 2" receiver, and I think Kuat makes a 1-¼" to 2" adapter if you happen to upside your receiver later).
Extra bonus points in my book because the grey of the grey-orange color option is almost a perfect match for my Platinum Grey Metallic GSW. :D

The thing is so rock-solid, doesn't sway at all, easy to take on/off the car, even easier to put bikes on/off the rack, holds them securely.

I was able to get it for $100 off last year during one of REI's "take 20% off any non-sale item" sale - which they do once or twice a year. So, $400. Not the cheapest by any stretch, but I did try out a couple of $200 racks and yeah - they'd have felt more apt if I still had my mid-90s Tercel.

Should also mention, if you don't have a hitch receiver yet, they're nothing like what I had on my Mk4; the thing basically bolts right up to the rear bumper mounts (you literally replace the bolts that hold on the rear bumper bar), so if the only way the receiver is coming off the car unintentionally is if some frame elements of the GSW go with it.

One other note regarding trunk/hatch mounted racks: No matter what you do to protect the paint/finish of your car's body, it is going to get scuffed and marred to one degree or another. Some people don't care; other people drive Volkswagens. ;)

"Levels, Jerry...levels!"
Nice pull from the back-catalog! :D

Last edited:

ticaf

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you hskrdu and nuje for all that information. Now I have to digest all that.
I have to say, it way more expensive than what I would have guessed! :D

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah - i totally get that. I hesitated for a lonnnnng time on the Kuat Sherpa...even found one on CL for $350 and still walked away.

But now, having it, I'm so much happier to have that and use it and looking forward to using it for years and years, than I am to have an extra $400 in my bank account (doing nothing but looking pretty...and really, not even that pretty.)

Last edited:

Turbowagen

TDI
2015 Sportwagen S
+1 for the Kuat Sherpa, but I’d go with 1Up if purchasing again. Neither are “cheap” but you pay to play. Messed around with cheaper racks on friends’ rides and not worth it in my opinion. Difficult to use, heavy, don’t last, etc. I also use the rack frequently (mtb trips, cx season, etc.) and would rather pay for quality the first time around.

Also hitch mount over roof all day. Better FE, less noise, less bugs/rain/debris hitting your bike. And nothing beats being able to just roll into the garage after a long drive with your bike still mounted. Tried that with a roof rack once and ended up with a new bike ...

Z85rado

TDI
2015 Sportwaged TDI
I believe i have the curt off etrailer.. it doesn't hang lower then the bumper, there is actually a cut out in the bumper already that the hitch slides through.

being that i often haul 2 40 plus pound bikes light wasn't on my radar.. pretty sure those kuat racks have low weight limits, or at least the did 6 years ago

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The Sherpa (version 2.0, weighs 32lbs itself) weight limit is 40 pounds per bike.

The Kuat NV (2-bike holder weighs 52lbs itself) weight limit is 60 pounds per bike, unless you carry 4 with an extension, when it drops to 40 pounds per bike. The NV seems to be more popular, despite its cost.

The original version of the Sherpa weighs 29lbs itself, and holds 2 bikes at 40 pounds per bike.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I have the Curt 11422 as well, and like I mentioned above, it's by far the most secure receiver I've ever had on a VW (granted, my previous experience is limited to the Mk4 and Mk3, but still...).

Given that I'm exclusively on sub-8kg road bikes these days, carrying capacity of racks has never been an consideration, let alone an issue. :D

Installation overview of the Curt:

Last edited:

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah....I'm not sure if "I'm totally jonesing to shred the trails at Whistler" is going to count as "essential travel" with the Canadian Border Services Agency. :D
(But for sure - the trails here on Vancouver Island, just across Georgia Strait from Whistler - are spectacular so far this year!)

Z85rado

TDI
2015 Sportwaged TDI
The bike park I that would be my "go to" just announced they are opening this coming sunday - my bike needs to either see a shop or go back to the manufacturer, broke a shock bolt and need the broken part backed out without ruining the linkage! 600 a year to maintain, no matter what!

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Z85- Have you been to all those bike spots near Chester County (Bonner, Harmony, Heatherwood)? If so, what do you think of them?

Z85rado

TDI
2015 Sportwaged TDI
I just realized i never changed my locale... When I lived there i was primarily road riding and downhilling at blue mountain. I've had a hard time(to this day) getting back into trail riding.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No worries- I'm usually going North of Baltimore (NCR trail) for gravel / trail biking, but plan to check out some of the PA trails.

Z85rado

TDI
2015 Sportwaged TDI
@Nuje

if i had a dollar for every time i heard that from my one friend who has since moved east..

We rented an RV now 10 years ago and hit the bike parks in Colorado, it was a blast. totally different terrain than east coast. The place I cut my teeth on is steep and full of loose shale. I had never seen features and berms built like we did there.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
As cool as the bike parks are, around where I live, I've far more enjoyed just picking up a trail in town, 300metres from my house, and then just heading for the hills. Such an abundance of bespoke trails, old logging roads, old coal mining paths, maybe have to dodge a bear or two, fill up water from a glacier-fed stream....and then 6 hours later, returning home filthy dirty, exhausted, but exhilarated. :)

The times I use my Kuat rack (feeble attempt to keep thread on topic :rolleyes:) are when I'm traveling and want to have wheels to go out and explore.