Bigger Intercoolers

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
IBIZA 1.9TDI 110hp AFN 1998
I'm confused...my damn english!:mad: I'm thinking about to change my IC lines distribution. If i change them, total lenght of pipes should be shorter... must i to change ID of pipes from stock to bigger?

What's the best combination? shorter pipes with bigger ID? larger pipes with smaller ID? :confused:

t0m541

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk5 Golf 1.9 110 (originally)
Satiro said:
I'm confused...my damn english!:mad: I'm thinking about to change my IC lines distribution. If i change them, total lenght of pipes should be shorter... must i to change ID of pipes from stock to bigger?

What's the best combination? shorter pipes with bigger ID? larger pipes with smaller ID? :confused:
Shorter pipes with diameters to closely match your turbo outlet, IC inlet/outlet and manifold inlet. To go smaller would obviously be restrictive and to go any larger will be creating extra volume, making that poor old turbine work harder to fill it.
Also by keeping the pipe internal bore consistant it will create a smoother air flow and less eddy/turbulance points.

Some might say I am going a little too deep into this but, I.M.O. whether you are working on a tight budget or have a money tree in the garden, we are all working towards getting the most out of our pride n' joy motors.
If by giving a little thought into the science of it all we can save money/wear n' tear it aint such a bad thing.

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
-Whitey: 2000 Jetta GLS, Red: 2000 Jetta GLS 5-speed
t0m541 said:
Shorter pipes with diameters to closely match your turbo outlet, IC inlet/outlet and manifold inlet. To go smaller would obviously be restrictive and to go any larger will be creating extra volume, making that poor old turbine work harder to fill it.
Also by keeping the pipe internal bore consistant it will create a smoother air flow and less eddy/turbulance points.
DING! DING! DING!

Winnar! :D

devonutopia

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD300 Skoda Fabia
t0m541 said:
on a nice clear open M-Way I tested the depth of carpet with the loud pedal, max revs for 90 secs-2 mins, and the temp needle didnt move from just below 90, this is during a long already fast drive.

Think I need taller gearing though bit disappointed with overall top speed, I wont say what it was here as you never know whos reading.
Surely you personally own this stretch of M-way, therefore as it is a private road, you can spill the beans! :D M stands for "mine" right. ;)

t0m541

Veteran Member
TDI
devonutopia said:
Surely you personally own this stretch of M-way, therefore as it is a private road, you can spill the beans! :D M stands for "mine" right. ;)
M-way did I say tut!! I meant runway:D me and my poor typing;). Indeed! how right you are, you cant beat a nice bit of private road. 125beans per hour, max revs and co-pilot(wife) glaring n' tutting:D

devonutopia

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD300 Skoda Fabia
Only 125? ;) someone needs some tuning. :D

I think mine will touch 125 mph in around half a mile from a standing start (based on a 1/4 mile closing speed of 96mph) and keep going. However, I have grown out of maxxing mine out and have not done it for a few months now (Did it on the Autobahns through Germany last Sept - Did a comfy 140)

t0m541

Veteran Member
TDI
devonutopia said:
Only 125? ;) someone needs some tuning. :D

I think mine will touch 125 mph in around half a mile from a standing start (based on a 1/4 mile closing speed of 96mph) and keep going. However, I have grown out of maxxing mine out and have not done it for a few months now (Did it on the Autobahns through Germany last Sept - Did a comfy 140)
Thats just it! even after 3250rpm it still sat up and pulled in 5th, round till about 5thou, must be rev limiter there cause wouldnt go past it.
Is there a way of upping rev limit, I have read that there is a speed limiter/cruise control something that you can alter using Vag-Com, I think it was on Kermas guide where I read it.

vwdsmguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf black 5-spd
It looked, to me, like a FMIC was a no brainer simply because the OEM sidemount ,on a Golf, has a very small fresh air supply going into it and the inlet piping looks horribly restrictive. My choice was the Eurojet FMIC kit from Kerma. It has a 24"-10"-2" core. I like the resonably free flowing 2" of thickness. I read somewhere that the first 2" of thickness did 80% of the cooling - another reason for a 2" core. The core extends up to the top of the inside of the bumper, so I drilled holes across the bumper cover to expose the top 5" of IC. Fan or no fan on sidemount have a small fraction of the cooling air supply to them compaired to the Eurojet. The IC piping seems an appropiate 2" dia. As far as coolant temps, 90* seems about tops during the summer. I wondered if lag would be noticable over the OEM IC, but there was no difference.
That's my take on it, for what it's worth.

Last edited:

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
t0m541 said:
Thats just it! even after 3250rpm it still sat up and pulled in 5th, round till about 5thou, must be rev limiter there cause wouldnt go past it.
Is there a way of upping rev limit, I have read that there is a speed limiter/cruise control something that you can alter using Vag-Com, I think it was on Kermas guide where I read it.
My car pulls hard right up to 5150 rpm's at 131mph in 5th gear: (99.5) Mark 4 Jetta Tdi 1.9L ALH engine with Bosio PP502 nozzles and Aligator II tuning.

It isn't a rev limiter at 5150, it's the fuel's 'premix delay': a fundamental constraint of diesel fuel. Higher cetane fuel has a smaller premix delay.

strictlysmoke

Veteran Member
TDI
golf IV
this might be a stupid question but i was wondering as well about what IC to go with. i know that the SMIC flows better and the FMIC cools better, but has anyone tried using the SMIC as the front one so that you can still get air to the motor for the A/c?

devonutopia

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD300 Skoda Fabia
t0m541 said:
5150 isn't the limiter as said. It's around 5500+ I think. But by 5 thou' you're in the red anyway, so being a diesel car, it will not really like that. I love my 6 speed as it's doing 2100 @ 70mph, 4200 @ 140, therefore has some way to go beyond 140mph (on the revs at least, not taking into account my rubbish aerodynamics)

t0m541

Veteran Member
TDI
devonutopia said:
5150 isn't the limiter as said. It's around 5500+ I think. But by 5 thou' you're in the red anyway, so being a diesel car, it will not really like that. I love my 6 speed as it's doing 2100 @ 70mph, 4200 @ 140, therefore has some way to go beyond 140mph (on the revs at least, not taking into account my rubbish aerodynamics)
Thats not a standard Fabia box though is it?.
Like I said mine could do with taller gearing, 1st is way too short now!.
Still its not about beating the Ferrari's at flat out speed, it's leaving em looking shocked at the line in a small cloud of diesel smoke hehe:D.

We all keep to the speed limit anyway on public highways, because we are responsible, law abiding drivers on here, isnt that right!!.

t0m541

Veteran Member
TDI
strictlysmoke said:
this might be a stupid question but i was wondering as well about what IC to go with. i know that the SMIC flows better and the FMIC cools better, but has anyone tried using the SMIC as the front one so that you can still get air to the motor for the A/c?
The only problem I can see with using the SMIC up front is the angles of the inlet/outlet pipes, unless you could get some custom ends fitted to the OEM core. It might be worth approaching a radiator repair shop and asking them about the options/cost.
There is a place near where I live who do make custom rads for people and that includes end cans. So it can be done.

strictlysmoke

Veteran Member
TDI
golf IV
wonder how much that would cost and how much better it would perform in the front of the car or if would be worth it? i will be buying an intercooler soon and need to figure this out before then.

t0m541

Veteran Member
TDI
strictlysmoke said:
wonder how much that would cost and how much better it would perform in the front of the car or if would be worth it? i will be buying an intercooler soon and need to figure this out before then.
Therein lies the problem. I am currently looking at prices for coolers myself. The cheapest I have found is £125 for a FMIC at the size I need without pipework. Even if the SMIC was adapted to fit up front extra pipework would still be needed.
So £100($200) to adapt the OEM cooler, any more and it loses its cost effectiveness.

devonutopia

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD300 Skoda Fabia
t0m541 said:
Thats not a standard Fabia box though is it?.
Box is actually off a Cupra TDI Ibiza, but is essentially the same as a 6 speed you get in a fabia vRS as standard. :)

t0m541

Veteran Member
TDI
devonutopia said:
Box is actually off a Cupra TDI Ibiza, but is essentially the same as a 6 speed you get in a fabia vRS as standard. :)
Easy fit or was there a few changes to make. Are the PD130 + AHF TDI blocks the same with different head and ancillaries do you think?

devonutopia

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD300 Skoda Fabia
Probably same 1.9 blocks, but totally different top-end and injection system. Gearbox was easy to fit as it was a like for like swap (already had a standard fabia vRS 6 speed in it), only the new cupra gearbox had a nice peloquin diff installed.

t0m541

Veteran Member
TDI
devonutopia said:
Probably same 1.9 blocks, but totally different top-end and injection system. Gearbox was easy to fit as it was a like for like swap (already had a standard fabia vRS 6 speed in it), only the new cupra gearbox had a nice peloquin diff installed.
The reason I mention the block is that with the flywheel and other add-ons it would be a do-able swap onto my A3, though not cheap I would guess, those boxes must be scarce on the second hand market.

devonutopia

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD300 Skoda Fabia
They are fairly. For a full swap you'd need gearbox, driveshafts, flywheel, starter motor, and I think new gearbox cables to the stick. Quite an extensive job really. (I should know as my car began life as a 5 speed pd100 before the vRS conversion)

t0m541

Veteran Member
TDI
Hmm maybe one for the future then!! I think I will concentrate on getting the horses up first.
I am gonna go for a dyno test in the next couple of weeks, see how things the engine mods are doing, giv me some kinda base line to work from.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
Hi

I know this is an old thread but ....

How about running 2 side mount intercoolers .... one on each side in front of each wheel...

That way more cooling, no extra heat into engjne compartment, and good ac...

Of course it's a given that mods will have to happen to get it to work...

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

eddie_1

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 TDI tuned to 170HP, A6 Wagon 2008 TDI 2.7L tuned to 340HP
Hi
I know this is an old thread but ....
How about running 2 side mount intercoolers .... one on each side in front of each wheel...
That way more cooling, no extra heat into engjne compartment, and good ac...
Of course it's a given that mods will have to happen to get it to work...
Any thoughts on this?
Thanks
That is the standard setup on V6 TDIs.
Check out the pics towards the bottom of this page:
https://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=459551&page=2