Big oil leak!

kylejk09

TDI
2012 jetta
So I was taking off from a stop light in my 2012 jetta tdi, it had problems accelerating, and then accelerated on its own for a short distance. It then died almost immediately and after pulling over I realized all of the oil was leaking out. I got it home and looked underneath and saw that the oil filter housing had cracked and broken away from the engine. What causes this, and do I need to replace more than the housing itself?

kylejk09

TDI
2012 jetta
And idk if this makes a difference, before realizing what happened, I did try to start it to drive up the ramps and the starter just spun. Is this a safety switch or is the transmission affected with this?

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
Are you sure it's the oil filter housing that broke? It is aluminum on this car. The accelerating on it's own and the starter issue needs some attention. We would need more info.

kylejk09

TDI
2012 jetta
Are you sure it's the oil filter housing that broke? It is aluminum on this car. The accelerating on it's own and the starter issue needs some attention. We would need more info.
It's definitely the housing, I thought it strange that the aluminum housing broke too. The accelerating on its own was only for a second, almost like it jolted a little when I let off the gas. I'm still not sure why the starter won't engage. It spins but doesn't turn the engine over.