BHW oil leak: head gasket...?

CarlosVW

TDI
05 VW Passat 2.0L TDI /BHW engine code/ BSM deleted/ Malone Stage 2 Custom/ Stage 2 Colt Cam/ BV43A turbo upgrade/ Bosio 1043 Injector Nozzles
Hello,
My car has this oil leak problem and I have put a new valve cover on. I got to looking at it a little closer with a mirror, on the exhaust side of engine, and it appears to be really wet on from the head gasket down, the other side looks clean for the most part. Now, I do have an exceptionally hot tune so...? Maybe the tandem pump...? Any help would be appreciated! :eek: :confused:

Last edited:

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
I think that you nailed it with the tandem pump. Clean it up then have a look in a day or two. Should confirm your suspicion.

CarlosVW

TDI
05 VW Passat 2.0L TDI /BHW engine code/ BSM deleted/ Malone Stage 2 Custom/ Stage 2 Colt Cam/ BV43A turbo upgrade/ Bosio 1043 Injector Nozzles
OK, Someone told me that if my tandem pump is leaking, I am talking about the gasket between the head and the pump, that there also should be water leageage...? :confused:

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
Yes, the metal gasket between the back or the head and the TP flange. The coolant tee is located under the TP and the leaking oil can get in and soften the rubber seal causing the coolant to leak. You should just do both while you're in there, as the coolant flange is easier to do with the TP out of the way. I did the TP seal several months ago and there was no evidence of coolant leaking. Well, now there is and I have to do it over again...

CarlosVW

TDI
OK, That is a comfort to know where to go, cause i have been leaning towards the TP anyway, and I thank you for the help!

CarlosVW

TDI
Does anyone have the P/N to the TP gasket for the BHW engine.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
This is an instance where I would only use OE parts. The P/N for the gasket is 038145215, and the flange is 038121132D. This place has very good internet pricing and fast shipping: www.keffervwparts.com

CarlosVW

TDI
Thanks very much! I have been getting all my OE parts from vwpartscenter.net close to Kansas City, KS, but I see the this place you mentioned is still yet cheaper and not much further.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
While you are at it, replace your coolant temp sensor. Once you get things apart, you would be well served to replace it. Get a genuine one. Not that expensive.

CarlosVW

TDI
Sound like a good idea.

CarlosVW

TDI
Hello,
Could someone give me a P/N for the coolant temp sensor on these BHWs? Thanks!

db123

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
CarlosVW, I'm curious to know if you saw oil dripping on the ground and if you could indicate where on the bottom of the car it was dripping from. I have the same problem as yourself, but need a smaller brighter light to track down the source?