BEW died at stop light, cranks but won't fire or start

Sevenjays

TDI
2004 Jetta
I did as much research on the forum as I could and tried all the troubleshooting tips I could, but I haven't found anything yet.

The problem: I was running errands up town, came out from the store, started the car and drove to the parking lot exit and the car died as I was approaching the stop sign. I tried to restart, but it only cranks over. I pushed it back to a parking space and started trying to figure out what went wrong.

Things I've tried. I checked the starter and alternator at the auto parts store, both are good. battery is just over a year old and seems to be okay, but I have noticed the car cranks slow often so I might need to get the battery load tested.

Pulling the input line off the tandem pump and running the tank pump produces fuel, but it seems slow, the pressure was only 3.5 psi when plugged off with the gauge. It should still start though, shouldn't it? I did change the filter with no change in symptoms.

Timing belt is good.

Glow plug light and check engine come on before cranking, the battery light stays on while cranking, can't remember if this is normal or not.

What next?

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Lift pump? It should run for a second or two when you turn on the ignition... it's under the rear passenger seat... listen for it...

Yuri

Lensdude_com

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 MK4 Jetta (ALH) "Betty" (sold), 2005 MK4 Jetta (BEW) "Stinky-Pete"
Did it throw a DTC?
Do you have VCDS or ScanGauge or Torque Pro app?

Sevenjays

TDI
2004 Jetta
I have had the #4 glow plug code coming and going for a while. Anti shudder valve a while back. Nothing new though. I don't have VCDS but need to buy it. At least get the blue tooth Torque Pro going.

I did just get it started. checked more connections, didn't find anything. Cranked it for close to 30 seconds and it fired but didn't start. Waited a minute or so and cranked it for 15 seconds and it came to life. It's running while I type this with the turbo outlet off. I'll shut it down and put most everything back together. Thinking I should order a lift pump as the output of this one seems low.

OlyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf
Hmmm. Your description is exactly what happened to me when my lift pump went. Could it partially have gone leading you to think it's okay but perhaps operating sub-optimally?

Lensdude_com

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 MK4 Jetta (ALH) "Betty" (sold), 2005 MK4 Jetta (BEW) "Stinky-Pete"
I would start with a new fuel filter then check the inter-cooler for oil accumulation.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
No mods needed for the replacement, gray top pump. A while back someone here was experimenting with the newer pump, but he was not satisfied with the results.

CGK

TDI
2015 Golf S TDI
My wife's 04 NB did the exact same thing. I was able to restart the engine after the pump cooled off. It was the original pump and lasted for 248K miles so no complaints from me. Replaced it with the new VDO pump and all is well. You should replace the rubber seal along with the pump so I hope you got one of those as well. Even though the old seal may look OK, once you pull it out and disturb its sealing edges you run the risk of them not resealing when you reinstall it. Just a bit of extra protection for a few more dollars is not a bad thing. BTW, when seating the new seal you need to press down pretty firmly to get the pump completely pushed down so you can reinstall the outer lock ring. Also, make sure the fuel tank is below half full or you'll end up with a big mess of diesel fuel.