BEW Camshaft replacement

Boostlee

TDI
05 Jetta wagon
So I have diagnosed my top end noise as the camshaft or lifter related due to camshaft, no noise at idle only under load loud ticking no knocking. So not want to go stage 2 billet , just the best OEM replacement. What is the brand or place to go to order parts? I'm sure a bunch of you have been through this. I just want to do it once with no BS.

Thanks

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Take the valve cover off and inspect, no need to guess. Make sure you need those parts replaced, before you go ahead and buy them

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Maybe you are right, I'm not saying it's something else, but just take the valve cover off.
Open there and turn the cam (by the crank bolt, only counter clockwise), so that you can peek at lifters and good look at all lobes. No need to disconnect anything else (any of the tty bolts). 30-60min tops for a good look.

I had a BRM that holed 2 lifters ~120k km, and my BEW with 421k km is still on the original cam and lifters, how do I know it's still good?... not by sound ;)

Boostlee

TDI
05 Jetta wagon
Maybe you are right, I'm not saying it's something else, but just take the valve cover off.
Open there and turn the cam (by the crank bolt, only counter clockwise), so that you can peek at lifters and good look at all lobes. No need to disconnect anything else (any of the tty bolts). 30-60min tops for a good look.

I had a BRM that holed 2 lifters ~120k km, and my BEW with 421k km is still on the original cam and lifters, how do I know it's still good?... not by sound ;)

Any ideas to what caused that fuel cut type feeling before the noise started ? bucked the car so hard at 80km/hr, i thought i ran over something lol

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
Whether it's the cam lobes, lifters or something else does not matter. The fact that you include or exclude the lobes and lifters does matter. While the cover is off inspect the injector harness. Still no smoking gun? Measure fuel pressure. The lift pump should create around 8 psi. The tandem pump around 50.
If you found that the lobes were worn you'd replace the cam and lifters. If your symptom still remains you have more diagnosis to do.