Better remove the TDI badge from your car, it's offensive

TT71

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
I think having personalized plate is a waste of cash. The only one it benefits is the gov't. Just my 2 cents worth.
Great minds think alike. My philosophy was the less money I give to the government the better off I am. Especially if the end recipient is Madison.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
I posted a condensed rant about this in Facebook. No one has touched it! My wife figured out the "offense" after a little thinking. We're used to "TDI" being said as "tee dee ahy" and not "tiddee." I can see how those unfamiliar with the TDI could read into what seems like clever or shallow use of license plate space. But, c'mon! It's not like you requested, "BIG TDI," "SAGITDI," "DCUPTDI," or "FAKETDI." LOL! Volkswagen just may have to coin another acronym for their diesel so they don't continue to offend! ;)

vdubdezl

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI 5MT, 05 Honda Odyssey EX-L
I guess I'm in trouble too considering that I have two "TDI's" in my driveway! And two think we drive our child around in our TDI's!

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
I pulled up Jalopnik this morning and this article made me think of your thread:

http://jalopnik.com/5845435/1800-license-plates-banned-by-floridas-dmv/gallery/1

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/crime/sfl-rejected-florida-license-plates-pictures-2011,0,5501545.photogallery

http://jalopnik.com/5830513/100-license-plates-banned-by-the-california-dmv/gallery/1

I guess I see why they're stupid enough to go after "TDI". Apparently, various State's tax dollars are paying some stuck up prudes to search for inappropriate things on the plate with a fine toothed comb. I can't help but be disgusted by the seriousness taken to ensure nobody puts a suggestive 7 letters on their car. I mean, sure it's perfectly legal to put "f*** Ford guys!", "God hates gays", and other 'clever' hate messages on your vehicle with stickers... but apparently if your license plate says it it's a problem. :rolleyes:

Enjoy the Jalopnik! :)

Last edited:

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS
Well, to be fair, if it's a plate stamped out by the state, it's as if the state "approves" of the message. Where as the state has nothing to do with bumper stickers.

Really, the state could do one better and not bother with personalized plates.

TDI
'00 GOLF
Just got back from the registration office to order my personalized licence plates, BADTDI.
As soon as I told the older woman over the counter what my request was, she immediately turned from a normal grouchy DMV person to treating me like a total A hole. She asked me what it stood for, I explained, and she told me that was VERY obscene. I told her I didn't understand, but I have a list of other ideas. After screwing around for about 10 minutes with different ideas I asked if it's the "TDI" part that is offensive, and she said "of course!" I finally asked for her to just give me a new sticker for the regular plate, since I didn't have time to figure out what the problem was, all my ideas included "TDI" and the old registration expires tomorrow.
I call a few people on my drive home, and no one could figure out how "TDI" could be offensive, but one person suggested I call the state and see if they can send me a letter explaining it's not obscene so I can get the plates I want.
I called the state, after being transferred twice, I got on the phone with another pleasant woman who you can just tell loves her job by the tone of her voice. I introduced myself, the county I live in, and the vehicle I drive. I told her how I was told the letters "TDI" were obscene, but wasn't given any explanation. She then also started treating me like the A hole.
Her response? "It's titty." "What?" "TDI is titty."
[/rant]
What a abbreviated, out of context load of DMV spew. I would definitely write a letter to the Governor.

How about the Tennessee DMV titling of my '00 GLS TDI. I bought new from the dealer and tagged in the purchased state as a GLS TDI. My car is now a GLI( model type) and no reference to fuel type.
I called the Nashville higher-ups for the State DMV and they told that it makes no difference what is on your car or vehicle. What the DMV National Register says it is, IS period. End of discussion.
So whomever key punched that day, at the DMV had a vendetta towards the offensive TDI. Amazing!!!!!

Food for thought, since were on the topic of titty references. Wouldn't title or titling be offensive, as well?

And how!!!!!

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
What a abbreviated, out of context load of DMV spew. I would definitely write a letter to the Governor.

How about the Tennessee DMV titling of my '00 GLS TDI. I bought new from the dealer and tagged in the purchased state as a GLS TDI. My car is now a GLI( model type) and no reference to fuel type.
I called the Nashville higher-ups for the State DMV and they told that it makes no difference what is on your car or vehicle. What the DMV National Register says it is, IS period. End of discussion.
So whomever key punched that day, at the DMV had a vendetta towards the offensive TDI. Amazing!!!!!

Food for thought, since were on the topic of titty references. Wouldn't title or titling be offensive, as well?

And how!!!!!
Very titillating!

valvecrusher

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat, '00 Jetta
you should have made a clean breast of it, and told her the tag was going on your motorboat.:confused:

Ask her if she had anything else to get off her chest, instead of making mountains out of molehills...

sometimes, working for gov. entities makes one feel entitled to brandish unreasonable rectitude...

Last edited:

Deadend

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
This reminds me of the time I was changing my address and the girl asked for help. Then, the other girl got up from behind a desk thusly revealing a jaw-dropping set of boobs. Thank god I wasn't having your issue... who knows where the freudian slips would have led me.

CTD_Chevrolet

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta S DSG, '02 Jetta ALH 5spd
Hey guys I was really busy over the weekend but glad to see I'm not nuts to think I should be able to get the plate. A couple condensed responses:
I don't like the giving the gov't extra money, but they are actually really reasonably priced here and don't have to pay extra each year once you have it. Also, the custom background is actually a "sponsored" plate for Montana State University, where I study. I don't know what their cut is, but it's a lot more money than other custom backgrounds so I'm assuming they do get some of it.
I did mail well written letters to both the attorney general and governor on friday, I really hope to hear back from one or both of them. I'm imagining walking back into the MVD and get the same woman with a letter from the governor in hand. :cool:
I'll post an update if/when I get a response.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I guess that's a real "chick" car!

This thread is the best laugh I've had in a while.

Rxfire

Veteran Member
TDI
2 each 03 5 speed Jetta wagons, 1 NA Isuzu P'up (a keeper)
hmmmm...

I guess if I wanted to waste money on plates I could get TDIWAGON and TDIWAGON2

The possibilities are endless TDIBANG TDIGOLF TDIBUG TDITWISTR

and for the garages/mechanics TDISHACK TDICITY

Off-roaders TUFTDI

Beat up TDI's RUFTDI

Souped up TDI's TDIMONSTR

for Wisconsites TDICHEESE

and for you old Austin folks TDIBINGO

Dieselfitter

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW TDI with DSG
There is a guy in Edmonton that had a '23 T Bucket Mildly Rodded with a Mazda truck engine. He had no problem getting a plate that said: 23JAP-T

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
At least you have a VW. I wonder what response I would get if I wanted to put TRD on my plate. Turd???
Just make sure to refer to it as a T R D while at the toyota dealer. They don't take too kindly to calling their trucks little turds! Learned that the hardway when looking at trucks last month. Told em I didn't want one that had turd on the side.

oxford_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf '11
As soon as I told the older woman over the counter what my request was, she immediately turned from a normal grouchy DMV person to treating me like a total A hole. She asked me what it stood for, I explained, and she told me that was VERY obscene.

After screwing around for about 10 minutes with different ideas I asked if it's the "TDI" part that is offensive, and she said "of course!"

I called the state, after being transferred twice, I got on the phone with another pleasant woman who you can just tell loves her job by the tone of her voice. I introduced myself, the county I live in, and the vehicle I drive. I told her how I was told the letters "TDI" were obscene, but wasn't given any explanation. She then also started treating me like the A hole.

Her response? "It's titty." "What?" "TDI is titty."
[/rant]
Well, you know, Ken's was hacked off for the good of society, so why not go whole hog on Barbie? They left some parts on her, after all. That can't be good. Think of the children.

And, after that, we can get rid of all the terrible body parts on real people. Think about how offended those women must be at what they've got. Humanity will be so much better off. "Circumcision" just doesn't take care of the problem, does it?

oxford_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf '11
I've solved the terrible TDI problem.

Meet Morality Barbie!

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Still too curvy. Must look like a block with hair!

MichelleRoze

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 New Beetle
Really? took me a minute to figure out why TDI was offensive...and I'm a girl!

I think of it more as TIDI ... just goes to show you how dumb society is getting.

I like TDITWSTR idea tho.

Just get DRTYTDI

oxford_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf '11
Really? took me a minute to figure out why TDI was offensive...and I'm a girl!

I think of it more as TIDI ... just goes to show you how dumb society is getting.

I like TDITWSTR idea tho.

Just get DRTYTDI
I think Teddy, personally. So, someone could have a TDI Bear license plate if they really like Elvis. But, really, I always have read it T-D-I.
Still too curvy. Must look like a block with hair!
Hair? That's too seductive for our youth. Morality Barbie should be bald.

Here's the new edition. It's Barbie and Ken:

Last edited: