Best stateside 1/4 mile time?

Wisconsinwagen

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Sedan
I'm just wondering what the best 1/4 mile time anyone in North America has run with a TDI? I'm sure it's deep into the 14s, but I haven't been able to find any listings on the forum.

JasonTDI and I have decided we're going to try to get my car to 14.99 on the stock turbo. It's something I don't think anyone has done before, and I'm curious to see how close we can get. So far all I've done is PP520s, a mufflerectomy, and RC2. Future upgrades will include a race pipe, total EGR system delete, RC3, 2.5" downpipe and cat, PD lift pump, and stiffer engine mounts.

The goal is to show what these engines are capable of on the stock boost and to not go so far as to risk damage to the engine or turbo over time. With any luck we'll have all the mods done by early fall so I can get to the track and see if we've done it.

AThreeTdi

Veteran Member
TDI
06 jetta Tdi , 03 jetta Tdi
Last trip to the track in March my car went 14.71 @ 93.36 .. Street tires and no LSD.

TdiRacing

Vendor
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Cup
Rally Car(Golf IV) did a 14.12 Slicks, LSD, until we broke the axles(2x) and gave up drag racing

My car(Jetta IV)did a 14.23 Kumho MX Street tires, no LSD.

This was about two years ago as well on RC3 with Race 520's and VNT 17 turbo.

drkblujetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Audi A4 ALH TDI
What are your secrets.... hehe.... The wheelspin is phenomonal with the TDI's..... :eek:

Did you ever get slips?..... I'd be curious to know 60' times. :confused:

TdiRacing said:
My car(Jetta IV)did a 14.23 Kumho MX Street tires, no LSD.

TdiRacing

Vendor
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Cup
drkblujetta said:
What are your secrets.... hehe.... The wheelspin is phenomonal with the TDI's..... :eek:

Did you ever get slips?..... I'd be curious to know 60' times. :confused:
I really wish I kept that stuff, but it was not important to me. Drag racing is not my thing, and we just went out to have fun at the local track. Breaking parts is no fun especially axles as it means getting a tow home.:( Only cared about the final number.

vwdsmguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf black 5-spd
1/4 mile last night

I was not planning ahead so the tank was full and no weight was stripped off. The temp was about 70* using street tires at 24#. I had 2 almost identical times. Their average was - 2.38-60', 15.06 ET and 94.1 MPH. There was wheel hop so I stopped before anything broke. Bad part was the terminal 1640* EGT. I plan to try this again later without the cat, adding a higher flow MAS and stiffer motor mounts. Round trip to NY International strip [Rochester] and back averaged 48 MPG.

Last edited:

12MPGHWY

Veteran Member
TDI
none
The best TDI for the 1/4 is going to be one of the swap cars, there at least a few TDIs in Mk2s etc

Anyways the trick to getting the best possible 1/4 without breaking axles, and other parts is to use the tallest possible full slicks available... not drag radials, actual slicks with tubes, they deform and wrinkle absorbing shock and are much easier on the drive train. They also won't usually hop in a controlled burnout, and probably wont burn easily when warm.

Also with good warm slicks an LSD won't really be necessary on a TDI.

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
nokivasara said:
It´s funny how a VW diesel feels soo fast until you take it to the strip :D
Yeah but 14's and low 15's for a daily driver street trim car is nothing to sneeze at.

tdipower4me

Veteran Member
TDI
03 jetta
i had an mk2 swapped alh 90 TDi that ran a 15.5 @92.

i didn't try to launch, i just wanted to see what the trap was.

now my daily which is a 2000 AUTOMATIC tdi with pp764's and no other mods ran a best of 15.8 @84 shifting into 4th with the interior gutted.

just went to the track the other day, full interior, spare, all seats and i ran a 15.9 @85.4 leaving it in 3rd. i'm sure if i was gutted it would've been a 15.5 pass @ 86 or a low 87mph pass.

if you think about it, my mph is just as fast as chipped, intake, exhaust mk5 rabbit.

AThreeTdi

Veteran Member
TDI
06 jetta Tdi , 03 jetta Tdi
Wisconsinwagen said:
JasonTDI and I have decided we're going to try to get my car to 14.99 on the stock turbo. It's something I don't think anyone has done before, and I'm curious to see how close we can get.
With my vnt-15 so far my best time is 14.65 with mods listed in sig.

Variant TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf Variant, Reflex Silver
nokivasara said:
It´s funny how a VW diesel feels soo fast until you take it to the strip :D
I think any Mk3 or 4 TDI putting down a 15 second pass could be considered 'quick'. That's about what a stock Mk3 Vr6 can do putting roughly 150hp/tq to the wheels.

But by modern standards, yeah that's slow. ;)

Gearhead51

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
I was just surprised how SLOW my stock ALH equipped car is. I turned a 19.14 et @ 80ish. I'd have to look at the time slip. Not a hard launch. Shifted at 4,000. Just fooling around. It was $10 to watch, $20 to race.

woofie2

Veteran Member
TDI
Former TDI owner
Gearhead51 said:
I was just surprised how SLOW my stock ALH equipped car is. I turned a 19.14 et @ 80ish. I'd have to look at the time slip. Not a hard launch. Shifted at 4,000. Just fooling around. It was $10 to watch, $20 to race.
I did the same, (full interior, case of water(48 twenty oz bottles) and a cooler in the trunk, along with two lawn chairs, and all my car show detailing supplies.)
Street tires @44 psi, bone stock, 18.99
I need to go back with R-comps. now that I have enough extra power to make a decent time.

A friend has a 500HP 2.0L 86 golf (search STLVW there are several video clips of them running 11 second runs when they were around 300HP) They detonated their transmission and managed an 11.5 run this year sofar.

johnnloki

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Golf TDI
AThreeTdi said:
With my vnt-15 so far my best time is 14.65 with mods listed in sig.
So, as far as North America is concerned, a stock turbo'd ALH has about a half second up on the average very hopped up TDI. Interesting, and very counter to conventional wisdom... it looks then, like 3k on transmission and tires would be far more productive than 3k on turbos for most ALHs, if you're looking to improve your 1/4 mile time.

Too bad my stock turbo is a piece of crap KP-39. Yucky.

woofie2

Veteran Member
TDI
Former TDI owner
johnnloki said:
So, as far as North America is concerned, a stock turbo'd ALH has about a half second up on the average very hopped up TDI. Interesting, and very counter to conventional wisdom... it looks then, like 3k on transmission and tires would be far more productive than 3k on turbos for most ALHs, if you're looking to improve your 1/4 mile time.

Too bad my stock turbo is a piece of crap KP-39. Yucky.
On the ALH it's amazing what $300 in nozzles and $500 worth of chip does to the quarter mile time.
of course you need $800 in clutch to hold the nozzles and chip.