Best MK4 light upgrade or replacement for cheap?

Maffken

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 A4 Jetta ALH
So my passenger side light is busted, the mechanism broke and it is mainly pointing at the ground now. These are the oem fixtures and I figure I'll just replace them anyways since they're fogged up a lot and I've honestly had issues with them.

Are there any common advice when it comes to aftermarket fixtures and replacements? I'm leaning towards a HID replacement kit, mainly for just a slightly improved low and high beam setup.

I'm thinking about a set of 3.0a from this site, does anyone have any idea's of how they are? I don't need perfection, something slightly better than normal will suffice. http://www.midwestlight.biz/#!untitled/cfs9

Maffken

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 A4 Jetta ALH
Ditto.

Great guy to work with, excellent product and I can see GREAT at night!.
Nice to hear. I'll give him a chance to improve my vision at night then!

Well with luck I'll actually be able to see anything, I'm staying in the city until then xD

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Ebay ecodes. They run about $75 now and are a huge improvement over the crappy OE lights.

Do not ever put HIDs in the headlights without proper projectors.

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
I had the ebay ecodes and found them only a marginal improvement and rather disappointing over stock especially when compared to what I have now. HID in HID projectors are the way to go if you really want light and Jeff's kit is the best bang for the buck that I have found.

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
$75 eBay e-codes are probably just poor Chinese reproductions. I would question the quality of light and the quality of the electrical wiring.

Have Jeff do an HID projector retrofit for you. You'll be glad you did.

drewkeen

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Jeff's kit doesn't do this, he retrofits a HID projector into the factory headlight housings. They have a sharp cutoff and a great light distribution pattern.

This is coming from someone that absolutely hates HIDs in halogen projector housings.

OP, IMO Morimoto Mini H1's are ideal. i wouldnt ever run HID's in stock reflector housings.

Trawlercap

TDI
03' Jetta
Jeff's kit doesn't do this, he retrofits a HID projector into the factory headlight housings. They have a sharp cutoff and a great light distribution pattern.

This is coming from someone that absolutely hates HIDs in halogen projector housings.
Are you referring to the re-fit kit he sells? For like $180? I am very interested in hearing from someone who has done this. Can't afford the beautiful new HID headlights he sells. But I sure would like to get the better light!

Maffken

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 A4 Jetta ALH
Are you referring to the re-fit kit he sells? For like $180? I am very interested in hearing from someone who has done this. Can't afford the beautiful new HID headlights he sells. But I sure would like to get the better light!
I'd consider retrofitting these, however I need my car running every day (even installing them will be hard) and my fixtures are shot anyways. It ended up not costing me much more and if they break I'll just swap them into new fixtures in the future.

Considering that I may be able to do this on a 65f day before winter, it was worth it to me xD

drewkeen

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta

I believe the retrofit kit is the same stuff he installs, just without him doing the actual install for you. I felt that it was worth the extra money to have him do the install because he has done it enough to get good at it and my time is worth something to me as well.

Trawlercap

TDI
03' Jetta
I believe the retrofit kit is the same stuff he installs, just without him doing the actual install for you. I felt that it was worth the extra money to have him do the install because he has done it enough to get good at it and my time is worth something to me as well.
Thanks, I did not realize he modifies my headlamps? So I have send them in and have them modified?

Sorry to sound so dumb, I thought you buy the new fixtures and all for the $350 or so. But if I am getting it right, you send in your buckets, and have him modify it?

TDI
You CAN send me your headlights and I will work on them. It saves you about $75 or so. This option is best suited for people with a spare set laying around. the prices you see on the site for headlights include new assemblies though. The kits I sell are the same parts I put in the lights, but of course you'll have to do the work.

I won't try to oversell the idea of having me do the work, but I will tell you that your first go at it will take you about 4 or 5 hours to do it assuming all goes well.

suppleediesel

TDI
01 Jetta(sold); 09 Jetta DSG
Jeff,
Have you messed around with the LED drop-ins yet? Whether projected or non-projected, I am just curious what your opinion is on them.

Leaning your direction on brighter lights, as my lenses are getting a little fogged, but LEDs (from Lifetime LED especially) have caught my eye.

TDI
I am actually set to evaluate a set of them tomorrow. My concern is their reliability, availability, cost and their size. Aftermarket LEDs can be very spotty in terms of reliability, so that I think is my main concern. I'm also not sure how they will work in terms of glare to oncoming drivers and hotspots. HID projectors are mainly used to eliminate those things. I'll let you know how they look.

TDI
H7 LED Review:

I reviewed the H7 "Lifetime" LED bulb against a OSRAM 55W halogen H7 bulb. Here are some photos and observations. These are solely opinions:

Pattern: The LED has a very focused pattern. The Halogen spreads light out more. The LED has far fewer hot spots in its output. For reference, hot spots are bad because your eyes focus on them and not on other thing. Much like looking at the sun, the areas that are not as bright tent to be "black" to our eyes. LED Wins.

Color: LED is around 6000k where as the halogen is at 4000k give or take. LED is lots of white. The Halogen therefore has more color depth. There are differing preferences, but in relation to the average human being's eyes Halogen wins.

Brightness: The LED is brighter at the point of light (up close). The further the comparative distance, the closer the two performed to each other. Because of its whiter output the LED appears to be brighter than the halogen. However...

Visibility: not to be confused with brightness, this is solely about which allows you to see better. Halogen wins by a hair (in my opinion). While the LED is brighter in a sense the halogen more light to the outside. It's extra color depth illuminates more objects and is better received by the eye. After staring at both for about 30 minutes, the LED was somewhat straining to my eye compared to the halogen. It tried to makeup for its loss of color depth with brightness intensity.

Size: This is where the true problem exists for the LED. I'll start with the back. The back actually has a cooling fan on it, which extends the bulb about 1.5" longer than the halogen does. On the Golf IV lights I tested them on this meant that the bulb did not clear the rear cover. Modification would be needed. I've worked on many lights and I would say that the bulb would not clear 60% of the rear covers without modifications. It would be very model particular.

The front of the bulb is also a huge issue. It was too long. Reflector headlights have a cap (don't know what else to call it) that sticks out into the open area of the headlight and is used to limit where light gets spread across the reflector. On the Golf IV, the LED bulb was longer than the cap, which meant that I had to take the cap out. This was an issue because the same metal part that held the cap on also doubles as the bulb seat housing and clip. I solved that by using pliers to remove that cap, but that meant that light was free to shine wherever. Lots and lots of foreground light and glare.

Bulb itself: not at all conducive to being clipped down. The irregular shape of the bulb combined with the large fan/heat sink on the back meant that there was no way to retain the bulb using the clip....you'd have to come up with something else to hold it down. I would see this being an issue an a larger majority of headlight applications.

Other Parts: There is also a ballast like device that comes with it. It should fit fine in the MK4 housings. The MK5 and VI housings it might be tight. I would guess that you'd have to relocate those outside the headlight.

Availability: The LED is online only. Halogen is at every auto parts and bix box store in America.

MKV and VI +: These bulbs will require the use of a resistor/error eliminator. Otherwise the car will sense a bulb out and shut down the circuit. LED lights have little resistance compared to halogens. This set did not come with bulb error cancelers.

Price: LED kits range from $70-120 depending on which ebay seller you get it from.

Conclusion: LEDs have come a long way, but they are not there yet. I reviewed these because I was interested in carrying them, but after having them in hand I am not likely to do so given the cons against the pros, mainly in the install and size areas. In particular applications I could see them being okay. For the average person looking for a swap though they might be a pain and I would think that a good pair of performance halogens would be a better bet.

LED:

Halogen 55W OSRAM:

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
LEDs are there... drop-in replacements are not. LED projectors are doing amazing things at the moment, and they'll only continue to get better (and more affordable). :cool:

Jeff, are your pics on high beam or low beam? If that's low beam, then the LEDs have a downright dangerous beam pattern.

TDI
LEDs are there... drop-in replacements are not. LED projectors are doing amazing things at the moment, and they'll only continue to get better (and more affordable). :cool:
Yes, that is what I was getting at. The upper end and very expensive LED systems you see in luxury cars are great, but these $100 drop in kits just don't cut it quite yet.

They were in the low beam reflector. The reflector was lacking the limiter (I can't think of the actual term off hand, but the hood/cap/cover that sits over the bulb inside the reflector areas) so there was no limit on where the light could go for either the halogen or LED bulb. A result of the bulb being too long to fit correctly requiring modification. Perhaps I should not have used the word "pattern". I was mainly focused on what would be illuminated and how it would be perceived by the eye, so really just the horizontal range of the light and the presence of hot spots. I have always felt that hot spots are a really bad thing (for me personally and in general), but then again so too is blinding people obviously. Without the limiter I had to assume that was responsible for some bad light throw so I stuck to width and evenness. If the limiter doesn't correct some of that though, you are right in saying that the LED pattern is very dangerous.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
I have a set of LED drop in for my high beam. They do the job of flashing people and adding a little light. They complement the bi-xenon projectors very nicely.

I can attest to the longevity as the first set only lasted about a month and a half as my low beam. And the beam pattern sucked - best way to describe is compare it to manual focus camera that is a little out of focus, and combine that with the white light not illuminating as well soft white (4300K vs 6000K). It looked cool and probably was a little bright to oncoming traffic, but I could see further down the road with the stock halogens installed.

Also the heat sync and fan are a tough fit on their own, but add in a driver (ballast) and wiring and it gets very tight inside a MkIV headlamp housing.

I'm with Jeff on this one. The OEMs are making some great LED units for their cars, but the drop in replacement market hasn't caught up yet with fit and reliability. Better off with good quality halogens at this price point.

Jason

Intech

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, 1999.5 Golf 2 dr
So my passenger side light is busted, the mechanism broke and it is mainly pointing at the ground now. These are the oem fixtures and I figure I'll just replace them anyways since they're fogged up a lot and I've honestly had issues with them.

Are there any common advice when it comes to aftermarket fixtures and replacements? I'm leaning towards a HID replacement kit, mainly for just a slightly improved low and high beam setup.

I'm thinking about a set of 3.0a from this site, does anyone have any idea's of how they are? I don't need perfection, something slightly better than normal will suffice. http://www.midwestlight.biz/#!untitled/cfs9
Stick with Hella E-codes, if you can find them. I now have them on both the 01' and 99.5 Golfs, and will be putting them on the Jetta next month. I went through the Chinese crap and LED kits, and they both made Lucas look brilliant

MikeB4

TDI
1997 Passat TDI Sedan, Candy White
Good headlight options for B4's?

Hi,

Does anyone have good headlight recommendations for my B4 sedan? I bought the E-codes with the glass lenses a few years ago. My only complaint is that the wimpy spring clip that is supposed to hold the H1 bulb base disk in place is also the ground connection. As it is no longer tight, my headlights have intermittent connections! I've soldered the supply wire to the tab, but didn't want to have to solder to the ground plate of the bulb as well. Also, after the car had a minor introduction to a deer, the internal reflector assembly is no longer stable -- it vibrates somewhat on bumps. I was thinking if I was going to remove the buckets anyway and work on them, I could just replace them if something good was available.

I was considering retrofitted ebay projector fixtures, but if they are indeed that bad, maybe I should ask if Jeff retrofits B4 ecodes, or I should just go in there myself and solder up the connections better.

Thanks,

Michael

MikeB4

TDI
1997 Passat TDI Sedan, Candy White
Update

Well,

I decided to start by cleaning up what I have. The crimped on spade connectors in my Depo E-codes were not aging very well, so I re-soldered them. For the ground connection to the body of the light socket frame, I soldered on a ring connector and secured it with one of the machine screws. I then tightened up the silly springs that hold the H1 bulbs in place, since they are also the ground connection. So, with new soldered connections and dielectric grease everywhere, as well as new bulbs and a tweak to the pattern adjustments, They are working real well now!

I have to say that the Taiwanese E-codes do have the right light pattern, and the glass lenses are great. I will say that the crimp connectors and sockets inside are the weak points. In fact, one of the socket bases on one of the high beam buckets is very rusted, even though my water proof hatch lids are secured. It is strange to see one out of 4 rust like that.

Thanks,

Michael