Belt Jump

DarrenUK

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Octavia 1999
I'm working on a Tdi 1.9 AGR engine.

The water pump pulley has cracked and a bit came loose causing the belt to jump. The pump and camshaft are now one tooth advanced.

Anyone know if the valves pistons are likely to have contacted? :confused: It appears to turn over without interference using a wrench.

Any advice?

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
I'm unfamiliar with European engine codes, is this a VE or PD engine?

Either way, pull the cam and have a look at the lifters. If there are no cracks or other signs of impact it may be okay. I would still be very cautious though. The chances of it only slipping "one tooth" are very slim.

DarrenUK

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Octavia 1999
Its a VE 90bhp engine. Spent a fair bit of time with a mate looking at timing of camshaft compared to crankshaft. Took the vacuum pump off - lined up the timing mark for the crankshaft via the flywheel mark. marked the camshaft pulley then turned the engine until the slot in the vacuum pump end of the camshaft looked to be in line with the machined head surfaces where the rocker cover sits. Looked to be one tooth advanced from crankshaft (same with the injection pump).

Yet to take the rocker cover off... Wanted to figure out the likely damage before we spend any more time on it.

The way things are over here (value of car, time/funds I have available etc.) if its more than a water pump/ belt job the car will get scrapped.

Looking at the state of the water pump pulley - I find it hard to believe that the belt is still intact - I'll have to take some photos.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
i highly doubt that one tooth is going to allow contact- especially if you can rotate through without evidence of contact. if you are going to replace the belt now, then you'll have the valve cover off and you can inspect the followers. i bet you're OK