Battery

burghtdi

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Can anyone help give me a name of what kind of battery I need for a 2002 Jetta TDI? I have spoken with the dealership and they said I had two options: one was $114.04 and the other is $122.43 - this is on top of a $39.50 instalation fee. There has to be a cheaper way to do this. I live in Pennsylvannia and I have searched every source I can think of and I keep getting the response that they don't have what I need - but I am not sure excatly what I need in order to ask for it!! HELP!?!?:confused:

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
it's called a 94R. Autozone, Interstate or Batteries Plus ($89).

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
What are they "telling" you

• Batteries Plus
  • Interstate
  • Autozone

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
burghtdi said:
Can anyone help give me a name of what kind of battery I need for a 2002 Jetta TDI? I have spoken with the dealership and they said I had two options: one was $114.04 and the other is $122.43 - this is on top of a $39.50 instalation fee. There has to be a cheaper way to do this. I live in Pennsylvannia and I have searched every source I can think of and I keep getting the response that they don't have what I need - but I am not sure excatly what I need in order to ask for it!! HELP!?!?:confused:
Not to bore you with the excruciating details, but there are actually 3 batteries for the Jetta line :) However I am guessing the one for 122.43 is the correct one. You can get the VW part number off the old battery to make sure. If they are going to charge you an installation fee (of 39.50)you are better off going to a Batteries Plus, Interstate dealer, etc.., or DIY. More than likely their products offer a longer warranty and they usually install it as part of the price, i.e., no extra charge.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Find a battery that physically fits, the terminals lines up and has as many CCA (Cold Crank Amps @ 0 degree's) as possible..

There ya go, a TDI battery...

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
Yeah, actually that is true. As long as the specification are adequate (which means you have to know both for the oem and replacement batteries it is almost a no brainer to get a substitute or even one with higher ratings. The real problem seems to be the LAYOUT or fit of the oem battery. I mean even the oem battery just BARELY fits. Then when you add in all the add ons like frame, snap cover and snap on add on/in hot wires, you wind up having to Jerry rig stuff if you substitute.

Last edited:

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
LNXGUY said:
Find a battery that physically fits, the terminals lines up and has as many CCA (Cold Crank Amps @ 0 degree's) as possible..

There ya go, a TDI battery...
__. Whoops, respectfully disagree. With the loads of glow plugs and the drain of a starter pushing diesel compression, "reserve capacity" is one of the most important specs for a battery in TDI's -- especially one that's going to see use in a cold climate. What's the best way to up the CCA's and "Amp-Hour" ratings??? Well, usually it's going to thinner plates, thinner paste on the plates, more plates. Unfortunately, these things usually reduce the reserve capacity. It's possible to find a replacement battery by looking at specs but a battery with high CCA's AND good RC is pretty hard to find.

__. If OP is in the hilly or northern areas of PA, it's worth choosing carefully.
'

TDI_NC

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI GLS 5 speed
ECU memory

Does the ECU memory get erased when the battery is disconnected? Are any of the settings lost? Does something special need to be done once a new battery is put in?

ratsnest

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf, 2000 Golf
Keep your radio code handy -- disconnecting the battery may warrant entering the security code on the radio. Additionally, you will lose your trip odometer.

BudsBug

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle (Buglet)
I bought mine at advance auto parts don't think I paid more than $60 for it mid summer. And yest make sure you know your radio code a Vag Com can pull it before you loose it I don't know if it is shut down if it can be retreved