Banks Exhaust

A05C

TDI
Anyone used any of Banks' parts on their TDI?

I'm looking at their monster exhaust for $309 which would mate up to the factory DPF (which will be getting deleted in the next 6-12 months.

I'm not a fan of the dual outlet muffler and prefer the straight through design with a single exit.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/gbe-46180-b/overview/year/2009/make/volkswagen/model/jetta

Good thing Is I probably can get an even more discount on it, and I'm within driving distance so that'd save on shipping.

Feel free to include opinions and thoughts.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Anyone used any of Banks' parts on their TDI?

I'm looking at their monster exhaust for $309 which would mate up to the factory DPF (which will be getting deleted in the next 6-12 months.

I'm not a fan of the dual outlet muffler and prefer the straight through design with a single exit.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/gbe-46180-b/overview/year/2009/make/volkswagen/model/jetta

Good thing Is I probably can get an even more discount on it, and I'm within driving distance so that'd save on shipping.

Feel free to include opinions and thoughts.
The link you posted is just pipe, no muffler, single outlet and looks like its from the middle of the car back?

A05C

TDI
The link you posted is just pipe, no muffler, single outlet and looks like its from the middle of the car back?
Yes. The DPF out to the rear of the car.

I don't like how the dual tip muffler setups look personally. Happened to come across the banks exhaust and wanted to get feedback.

How is the fitment? Are there bad fitment problems? I've never seen too many bad products from banks that's why I ask

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Yes. The DPF out to the rear of the car.

I don't like how the dual tip muffler setups look personally. Happened to come across the banks exhaust and wanted to get feedback.

How is the fitment? Are there bad fitment problems? I've never seen too many bad products from banks that's why I ask
Don't waste your money with Banks if you are going to delete the whole system. Just get the appropriate stainless pipes from the people supplying the delete exhaust. (note I do not support emission removal systems) The Banks my not even mate up to the pipes in a delete set up. Just my opinion before you buy anything check out the delete pipe manufactures web sites.:cool:

Jakx1331

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
Send them a message on Facebook or email them. $300 and a 25-50 lb tq increase is not bad. I hered from them there going to start R and D on a intake manifold.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Send them a message on Facebook or email them. $300 and a 25-50 lb tq increase is not bad. I hered from them there going to start R and D on a intake manifold.
It's $300.00 for a piece of pipe with a polished tip that says Banks on it. I highly doubt any performance increase claims just bling.
:cool:

Last edited:

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
and it rusts as members who have bought it say....you wont gain a thing with a cat back on a cr.

Perry01

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf DSG w/tech package
Why not wait 6 months until you plan on deleting your DPF then get a BuzKen or Rawtech down/midpipe and the rear section you prefer?

forcedfedbug

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta, Totalled late 11. 2012 Passat TDI w/DSG and a 2012 Golf TDI. Golf traded for a 2013 beetle
Gains

and it rusts as members who have bought it say....you wont gain a thing with a cat back on a cr.
uhh noise. A few Db's at least I am sure.

Ron

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Its a 3in cat back system, theres people on here spending $1000 for the same thing
Anybody that would spend $1k for a cat back straight pipe is truly an idiot. Are you clear in your understanding that a cat back pipe does nothing on a DPF equipt car. That being said reread my original reply, Stop watching Fast and the Furious Movies

The DPF chokes any gain you could get from a muffler less 3" straight pipe.

Go all the way or don't go at all.:cool:

And this sez it all the TDI Cup series cars all had a straight pipe back from the DPF....the narrator sez "these cars are very quite"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeNFuBY-kok

Last edited:

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
I love this one from the Summit website Totally generic

"Banks Monster single exhaust systems slash backpressure for cooler operating temperatures and produce a roar that will make your fellow ghouls green-eyed. Banks created the Monster exhaust systems from 100 percent stainless steel with a constant diameter to improve exhaust flow and give you a scary surge of power. These systems come complete with a polished tip and a polished straight-through muffler (most applications), plus all required hardware for an easy installation."

No muffler on the TDI set up and the term "scary surge of power"
Roar On Ha Ha

Last edited:

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
they are forgetting the fact that the dpf is the restriction and sound blocker...which will still be in the car...they dont point out they use low grade stainless and that it actually will add no hp or gains what so ever lol...surge of power my as$

A05C

TDI
Why not wait 6 months until you plan on deleting your DPF then get a BuzKen or Rawtech down/midpipe and the rear section you prefer?
I didn't see the rear section that I preferred on either site, unless I just didn't look hard enough.

I might talk with some fab friends of mine and see how much they'd charge to build me something. Gotta keep options open haha

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Uhhh, it also comes with a STICKER! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

:D
Sticker alone is worth a good 25HP. :rolleyes:

On a more serious note, Banks is well known for selling very expensive fancy looking pipes that do nothing at all. They got the name and and that's what you pay for.

Putting a cat-back on a CR TDI is a total waste of time and money. You will gain exactly 0hp.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
I didn't see the rear section that I preferred on either site, unless I just didn't look hard enough.

I might talk with some fab friends of mine and see how much they'd charge to build me something. Gotta keep options open haha
After all the people on this site have told you, you still don't get it! a straight pipe off the DPF will do nothing for your car.:eek: Am I talkin' to a 16 year old kid? Are you really following this thread or just skipping over what you do not want to hear?

Last edited:

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
weird he says rawtek doesnt have single exit exhaust, ive had a single exit rawtek 3 inch exhaust for 3 years hummm weird

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
weird he says rawtek doesnt have single exit exhaust, ive had a single exit rawtek 3 inch exhaust for 3 years hummm weird
The OP obviously has no clue. And a candidate for the Vortex site. When I was a stupid kid the saying was "if it won't go, chrome it" All this nonsense over a single exhaust tip!!!!!:confused: But it has been said before on this forum "do what you like it is your money and your car"

Last edited:

A05C

TDI
After all the people on this site have told you, you still don't get it! a straight pipe off the DPF will do nothing for your car.:eek: Am I talkin' to a 16 year old kid? Are you really following this thread or just skipping over what you do not want to hear?

No, I'm not a 16 year old kid.

I don't care if it does anything or not, I'm more worried about fitment and if it'd fit with the delete pipes.

A05C

TDI
The OP obviously has no clue. And a candidate for the Vortex site. When I was a stupid kid the saying was "if it won't go, chrome it" All this nonsense over a single exhaust tip!!!!!:confused: But it has been said before on this forum "do what you like it is your money and your car"

I'm far from a stupid kid.

So If you don't have any helpful insite to my questions, feel free not to reply.

Thank you and have a good day.

BuzzKen

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'10 Touareg TDI, '09 335D, '10 X5D
You could always ask an exhaust manufacturer that only loves and drives diesels...........

gloaming

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf 6MT CR170 (Sold); 2004 R32 (not a TDI)
I just don't want to have to have it re-tuned. The money isn't a big deal, I just don't want to do things twice
If you really don't want to do things twice. Don't work on your exhaust twice. Get the whole system when you do the delete in 6 months. That way you're "not doing things twice", not worrying about fitment, and you can get a quality pipe.