Bad Serp Tensioner or Bad Alternator Pulley?

dylphil97

TDI
B5.5 Passat BHW sedan
Hey folks. When turning the wheel at idle or low speeds, I can feel pretty aggressive shuddering through the steering wheel and hear a slight squeal. Not noticeable when normally driving. Had someone turn the wheel while I looked at the accessory drive belt and noticed the tensioner wobbling extra when they turned the wheel. Will post a link to a video I took shortly.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
Details about the vehicle?
If there's any wobble in your tensioner, you have a tensioner\bearing issue already. Deal with it before it does more harm.
Same goes for your alternator pulley if you've somehow seen evidence of it acting up.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Yeah, I'd replace both. I have both a tensioner and alt pulley on hand. The belt can get sucked under the timing cover.. and that's bad news.

dylphil97

TDI
B5.5 Passat BHW sedan
Details about the vehicle?
If there's any wobble in your tensioner, you have a tensioner\bearing issue already. Deal with it before it does more harm.
Same goes for your alternator pulley if you've somehow seen evidence of it acting up.
b5.5 Passat TDI manual swapped, geared BSM, tdtuned, SMF and south bend clutch.
Just got car yesterday.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Milage? Have you checked your PS fluid and pump condition? Any leaks in the system?

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Pull the serpentine belt off and test the alternator clutch pulley, check the other components for roughness as well.
I've got oem clutch pulleys for those, if you need one.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mileage is 275k. No leaks (fluid level is fine). Not sure of pump condition because I don’t know how to check that.
That's sufficient milage to suspect cracked\leaky connections, worn out rack and\or pump, or both.
(along with every other part in there like tensioner, pulleys, etc)
I'd suggest carefully going over all the lines and banjo bolt connections to ensure there are no leaks.
I don't recall if all systems came with the "cooling loop" or if it was only some.
I'd also suggest draining and refilling the system with the correct fluid. IIRC, those were very picky on fluid and only liked OEM stuff.
You need a tool if you want to check the pump pressure. Something like this.

Does it feel like the pump is assisting properly or are you also getting a workout? Is it just making noise and shuddering or does it feel "weak"?

As per above suggestions, if you actually suspect or see signs of issues with tensioners\pulleys, start replacing those, as no matter what it ends up being, you'll still need to fix these before they take anything else out.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
I don’t know if the B5.5 Passat has the same type suspension set up,as the MKIV…… but that sounds like an upper strut bearing seizing. Just went through this on my daughters NB…..again not sure if there set up is similar……just throwing this out there.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I don’t know if the B5.5 Passat has the same type suspension set up,as the MKIV…… but that sounds like an upper strut bearing seizing. Just went through this on my daughters NB…..again not sure if there set up is similar……just throwing this out there.
Should be easy to test this.... take the belt off to remove both the PS & Alternator from the equation and do the same turning test. Should be able to feel it "bind" if the mounts are the culprit.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Totally different suspension set up. Shocks in the front, not struts. Ball joints in the upper and lower control arms, no bearing or mount.