Bad misfire throwing p0201 and p0301 codes

Jamesy7769

TDI
2004 bew tdi jetta
I’ve been fighting this issue for the last couple weeks as I can only work on it on the weekends. I’ve replaced the injector harness with a brand new one from idparts and I’ve replaced the injector in cylinder 1. Also replaced the ecu with one that supposedly worked fine to eliminate any issues in the ecu itself. My next step is to test the harness from the ecu to the plug in the head. I’m just not sure how to go about doing that with any real results. Any help is much appreciated, thanks in advance

juliywann

TDI
Start with replacing the spark plugs and ignition coils. That's USUALLY what causes misfire. It could be fuel injectors or ECM (the car's main computer) but those are far less common causes. If you just have the one cylinder misfire it may just be the spark plug or coil for that cylinder, but if you're going to go ahead and replace that spark plug/coil, you should go ahead and do the rest since they generally start failing all around the same time. If you only fix the one cylinder misfire, chances are a couple months from now you'll have another cylinder misfire, fix that and then another a month later. And on & on. So just get it over with now. Given the cars age and that you've had it for a few years and make no Kodi mention of having the plugs and coils replaced, they could be all original.

Last edited:

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Start with replacing the spark plugs and ignition coils. That's USUALLY what causes misfire. It could be fuel injectors or ECM (the car's main computer) but those are far less common causes. If you just have the one cylinder misfire it may just be the spark plug or coil for that cylinder, but if you're going to go ahead and replace that spark plug/coil, you should go ahead and do the rest since they generally start failing all around the same time. If you only fix the one cylinder misfire, chances are a couple months from now you'll have another cylinder misfire, fix that and then another a month later. And on & on. So just get it over with now. Given the cars age and that you've had it for a few years and make no mention of having the plugs and coils replaced, they could be all original.
I didn't realize tdis had sparkplugs.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
I’ve been fighting this issue for the last couple weeks as I can only work on it on the weekends. I’ve replaced the injector harness with a brand new one from idparts and I’ve replaced the injector in cylinder 1. Also replaced the ecu with one that supposedly worked fine to eliminate any issues in the ecu itself. My next step is to test the harness from the ecu to the plug in the head. I’m just not sure how to go about doing that with any real results. Any help is much appreciated, thanks in advance
First of all. What vehicle and how many miles?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
2 new members clueless of the issue at hand giving advice.
Replaced injector harness..... why? Cant use a multimeter?
What codes?
What car?
What year?
Have you tried swapping injectors around? New crush washers?
There could be a dozen reasons what's going on. We have no clue because we have no actual usefull data to go off!

Lol sparkplugs!

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Start with replacing the spark plugs and ignition coils. That's USUALLY what causes misfire. It could be fuel injectors or ECM (the car's main computer) but those are far less common causes. If you just have the one cylinder misfire it may just be the spark plug or coil for that cylinder, but if you're going to go ahead and replace that spark plug/coil, you should go ahead and do the rest since they generally start failing all around the same time. If you only fix the one cylinder misfire, chances are a couple months from now you'll have another cylinder misfire, fix that and then another a month later. And on & on. So just get it over with now. Given the cars age and that you've had it for a few years and make no mention of having the plugs and coils replaced, they could be all original.

Well you stumbled into that one. Don’t take all the ribbing to hard, many of us have forgotten what a spark plug is, and as for an ignition coil that’s like speaking chinese. You are correct for a gasoline engine.

The original poster needs to give the details, year, miles, engine, any recent work. Though the year will usually answer a lot of potential questions.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
2 new members clueless of the issue at hand giving advice.
Replaced injector harness..... why? Cant use a multimeter?
What codes?
What car?
What year?
Have you tried swapping injectors around? New crush washers?
There could be a dozen reasons what's going on. We have no clue because we have no actual usefull data to go off!

Lol sparkplugs!
Is it the cr 2.0 that has gp #1 on cyl 4? Are the injectors that way too?

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Well you stumbled into that one. Don’t take all the ribbing to hard, many of us have forgotten what a spark plug is, and as for an ignition coil that’s like speaking chinese. You are correct for a gasoline engine.

The original poster needs to give the details, year, miles, engine, any recent work. Though the year will usually answer a lot of potential questions.
I almost put diesel in my bike and my truck when I got it. Lol.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I'm sure juliwann is thoroughly embarrassed. OP does give model, year on his Avatar, No transmission, which was not germane.
We have a great community here, perhaps we can offer some helpful advice, even if this is a common issue, I lack any knowledge of the PD.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
If you swapped injectors, and it stayed with that cylinder. Even changed the harness. Wait.. doesn't the pd have mechanical cam driven injectors? I'd start by looking at the intake and cleaning it. I'd do a compression test.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
If it’s a PD then a misfire could be a worn cam shaft, which the BEW engine is notorious for. They are not that difficult to replace. I did mine on a Sunday afternoon back around the first of October.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
You might be confusing the glowplugs with the cam driven, mechanical injectors. Which are under the valve cover. Pull the cover and check cam wear... How many miles are on it?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Jamesy, you still here? Bueller........
How did you read those codes? Those seem to be gas engine specific.