B5 TDIHeater Now Available!

deming

Veteran Member
TDI
(2) 2005 TDI Passat Wagons
Fantastic! With installation instructions and a couple of installation photos?

How much with shipping?
There are two or three guys here that need them. Perhaps we can have a TDI Passat heater installation day.

Thanks and I am looking forward to your reply.

amorfeusz

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Black Passat GLS Wagon 150k+, 2009 Jetta Sedan
Just ordered
Just in time to as today was the first time my Passat let me know it's cold with the ice/snow warning

Deming - let me know when you get yours so we can do the 'install day' thing

MikeToronto

TDI
2005 Passat Wagon GLS, Universal Gray, delivered December 16, 2004
A somewhat naive question from a technically challenged - how exactly does this heater work? Meaning, will I have to have an external electrical outlet to plug this thing into before starting the car or will it take power from the engine/car electrical system after the engine has been started to "simply" make sure the engine heats up faster? Also, will it help to get the hot air into the cabin and to the windshield faster or will it only heat up the oilpan?

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
this is a circulating water heater. It heats the coolant. The coolant then circulates through the motor via convection. it requires an electrical outlet (110v).

CgyFarmboy

TDI
2015 Golf, Platinum Gray
My 05 Passat should be here in late Nov./early Dec. My question is will this install affect the warranty? I thought I saw post from somewhere in (Portland Ore?)about a heater that VW would accept.

This sounds like an excellent addition but I don't want any problems with the warranty.

Thanks folks

deming

Veteran Member
TDI
You will not have any problems.
Trust me this is the only way to go!

It is an externally mounted tank style coolant heater and does not affect the motor/car in a negative manner
I.E. You are not pulling, removing engine parts or hardwiring or modifying anything.

sabaranski

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently. See signature.
Please bear with me, as I am interested...but not yet convinced.

If I garage my car, is that not enough to start it warm? And if I park in a surface lot, does it really help me when I don't have an outlet handy?

I've seen people discuss timers...am I correct in understanding that this is NOT part of the package?

Thanks in advance for your help.

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
Is your garage insulated? Those guys in the NE need all the help they can get...damn cold!

red golf tdi

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1999.5 Golf Red
I've seen people discuss timers...am I correct in understanding that this is NOT part of the package?
Correct, but it is available as an accessory on my website. Some people use timers, some do not. I recommend NOT using a timer during below zero weather.

red golf tdi

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1999.5 Golf Red
What is the on/off temperature of the unit? I know there are three versions in the 1000 watt model
We use ZeroStart's most popular model which has an upper limit only. The on/off one's are very expensive, approx $75 more!

MikeToronto

TDI
2005 Passat Wagon GLS, Universal Gray, delivered December 16, 2004
So.... it requires an electrical outlet, eh?

Well, in my case, I am going to keep the car in a warm garage overnight during the winter. At my office parking lot, there are no electrical outlets available - this is Toronto, after all, not Winnipeg - so the unit is going to be useless to me when I need it the most, right?

I could be misunderstanding something. Guys who own one, please explain how are you going to use it when parking at work? Or do you all have parking spots equipped with electrical outlets?

deming

Veteran Member
TDI
I have a power outlet on the outside of the building.
I simply run the drop cord over and plug in the heater.

geon116

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Passat GLS Wagon, Silverstone
I've had mine for over a year and haven't installed it. No complaints from the wife yet. Now we're shopping for a new house, hopefully one with a large, warm garage, so I can put it off even longer.

deming

Veteran Member
TDI
Nine worsk great!
It keeps the engine nice and warm on super cold winter nights.

Installation is pretty easy!

deming

Veteran Member
TDI
My TDI heater also works great!
It keeps the engine nice and warm on super cold winter nights. The needle stays at about 180-190 degrees.

Installation is pretty easy!

cspeter8

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Sedan
coolant leak from tdiheater hoseclamp?

I had a slow coolant leak in my 04 Passat after installing the heater. Brought it to a garage, the fellow tightened the hoseclamp on the tdi heater, said it was all fixed. I need to bring it back at some point perhaps... it was down some coolant again.

Talked to a friend who had a tdi heater installed in his 2004 Jetta; he thought the hose clamp that came with the kit did not look very adaquate for the job, and his mechanic supplied a wider hose clamp when getting his installed.

Anyone else have coolant leakage issues? If it's just me, then perhaps I am jumping to a conclusion here.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
The advantage of the factory spring clamp is that it will reduce in size as the material in the hose takes a "set" from being continually squeezed. This spring action maintains compression force on the hose diameter.
Worm screw type clamps require manual tightening over time to restore compressive force, not because the clamp has loosened, but because the hose material 'creeps' and squishes out (on a molecular scale).

greenbrier62

TDI
2005 Passat Wagon GL 89,000 miles, purchased in June
cspeter8 - had the same problem, luckily before the winter came. I pulled the unit out and then pulled the cover off the unit. The gasket was ripped. I wasn't in the mood to wait around because winter in the Rockies can occur over night, so I put some silicone gasket maker under the rubber gasket and it seems to be working fine. I use it everyday and absolutely love it, especially when it's below zero...The unit is only 3 months old...

Smokerr

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon GL,2005,Silver
sabaranski said:
Please bear with me, as I am interested...but not yet convinced.
If I garage my car, is that not enough to start it warm? And if I park in a surface lot, does it really help me when I don't have an outlet handy?
Thanks in advance for your help.
If you have any heat in the garage that keeps it above 20 deg F, or if it stays that way because its attached to the house, then you are fine.

I have done a lot of testing of the cold start vs MPG, and the conclusion is that its only when it gets below 10 degrees it is much of an issue.

20 deg F is recommended for proper emissions workings (keeps it down to acceptable levels).

I have one, but have not installed, as I use the oil pan heater, and while it does not help the engien temperature, it warms up the trany, the oil which is most critical for not being hard on parts. Fairly low wastage (1 amp I think) so you are not putting the whole 1000 watts or so into it (or you need a timer, 4 hours at even -20 is good enough to warm up the coolant.

Our last 5 winters were pretty warm, this one we are into second week of cold snap of -10 and better, be happier to start the day out with it warm, I need to put mine in next summer.