B5.5 Rear Subframe Rust-To refresh on the car or go through removal process.

intro

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta Wagon
Hey All, tried posting over on Passatworld, but not getting a lot of answers, hoping some 4motion owners here may have been through this:

Pretty bummed right now. I had bought this car years back to help my ex-wife, ended up keeping it for reasons I won't get into here, thinking it would be a good car to have around as my son turned 161/2 and started driving. I had done the timing belt, the valve cover gaskets, serviced the alternator, front shocks/springs, front brakes, took care of a leak from the cabin air filter, and replaced a flex pipe.

Well, my son is ready to get his learner's permit now, I recently refinished the wheels and got brand new tires, so knowing I had to do the heater core, service the automatic transmission (filter, fluid change), rear brakes, and the seal in the front differential, I started getting to work the other day. Oh boy! Looking at the rear subframe as I got into the brakes had me sighing. A lot of rust. It's pitted and scaly, but still hasn't affected anything structurally as far as I can tell. I'd like to keep this car for years to come, but seeing this, it needs work now or I may end up having a giant paperweight if I can't source a subframe in the future-Already seem pretty difficult to find.

I wire brushed and wire wheeled where I could, thinking I might treat with some metal prep and then brush on some por15, spray some fluid film/wax oil, but I'm realizing there are areas that are probably still very rusty and are pretty inaccessible, and it would probably just buy me time. I have pulled a rotted rear subframe and picked up a replacement that I refinished for my mk4 Jetta wagon before, but this seems a lot more complex. In the few resources & write ups I've found online, it seems like pulling it on the 4motion is quite the operation, and I'm nervous about lining things up properly afterwards.

I also realized rear shocks/springs should probably be refreshed while I'm back here, so I think I may just need the push to do it if I'm that far in. Is it just a matter of brake lines, the exhaust, the differential, and then the 4 main bolts holding the subframe?

I have so many house and car projects on my plate at the moment, and this discovery has really taken the steam out of me. As a teacher, summer is my work time, but I start in 3 weeks.

If I go this far I'll probably have it blasted before treating with the por15. If folks think I may be able to just take care of it with the subframe still attached let me know, that would be much preferred.

Any videos or resources people can suggest, much appreciated. Which Audi is the same again? A6? I may try some Audi forums for some write-ups once I know. I can't seem to find aftermarket control arm kits for the rear, just very expensive OEM pieces. It would be helpful to find a shopping list of the bolts and bushings that would need replacement.

Thanks!

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Unfortunately there is not much you can do. I am not a fan at all of POR15 because you can't paint over rust like they say. You really have to get all the rust out or any coating will simply make the problem worse as the rust grows under it.

Easiest thing to do is to use a oil based product like fluid film and make it a yearly maintenance item. That will definitely slow down the process.

intro

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta Wagon
Unfortunately there is not much you can do. I am not a fan at all of POR15 because you can't paint over rust like they say. You really have to get all the rust out or any coating will simply make the problem worse as the rust grows under it.

Easiest thing to do is to use a oil based product like fluid film and make it a yearly maintenance item. That will definitely slow down the process.
por15 has worked for me in the past, I just don’t think I’d be able to remove the rust to the extent I’d like to in some spots before applying it, without removing the whole subframe. Agree with you that rust removal beforehand is key.