B4V Power window noise

vixentd

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 B4 Passat tdi, 1996 Passat B4V
Just started with a loud banging sound as the window went up for the final 1/4 inch. Took the door panel off hoping maybe a loose bolt but they were all tight. After playing with the switch up and down to see if I can determine problem, it now goes up and stops but keeps on making a banging sound until the window switch is no longer pressed.n I notice also that the inside of the metal door panel at the bottom is pushed up when the window goes fully up. It buckles out a bit.

It also seems to be sloppy when the window is halfway down and you press the window switch up or down. The motor works but the window moves up jerky.

Years ago on the passenger side I replaced a regulator because it was worn out and the window was going up crooked. But the window goes up straight.

Is it probably the gears on the top of the regulator that get stripped or worn.
- If so has anybody had success in tig welding and refiling the gear?

Any input is welcome
1996 Passat

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Sounds like teeth on the regulator gear were snapped off due to resistance.

If you pull the regulator, which you will ultimately have to do, you'll find teeth missing on the gear. The motor rarely suffers when this happens.

Yes, people have welded new teeth on the gear, I think Abacus had a post a few years ago about it.

Steve

vixentd

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes teeth gone. Bought another one,but the window goes down to far before stopping and then goes off the side rail. Just searching how to adjust that.

Phi1osopher

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 B4V TDI Passat Wagon
Vixentd, mine also behaves similarly on my front driver's door's window. For me the problem is that the window channel's spot weld has broken free, allowing the window to have too much side-to-side free play. On mine it is the channel for the leading edge of the window; the one toward the front of the car.

It sounds like you might have the same problem, and it possibly is the source of the stripped gear..

vixentd

Veteran Member
TDI
Solved

I was so fortunate I thought to have one available already removed with the motor. Installed and had this problem. Looked for the adjustment nut only to discover someone had removed it already. Luckily my old one was ok and i transferred over the plastic one and now it works perfect!!!

Thanks to previous posts and the help.