B4 Turbo upgrade / Performance rebuild

86turbodsl

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Golf GLS TDI (retired), 04 A4Q (swap candidate)
Hello, as I noted in another thread over at the B4 General forum, recently our B4 Wagon suffered a catastrophic turbo failure and runaway that lunched the engine. I'm still in the process of tearing the motor down to see how bad it is, but judging by the runaway and how much oil I pulled out of the intake tract, that it's going to need a rebuild at minimum. The turbo is completely lunched. So, while I have the engine out, I'm doing basically all the hipo mods I've known about with an eye for as much power, least smoke within reason, and longevity I can get. Car has 220K on it, and it needs the once over.

The basic block I wanted to do as much flow related work on it as possible. Some key mods I've been looking at:

Pistons w/ceramic coating
Gapless rings (most likely total seal)
Anti-friction coatings

Some sort of larger turbo. I'd realistically like to
see 25 psi or therabouts, with minimal smoke, and as much
boost as I can get at low rpms.

I'd heard that older 1.6/1.9 IDI manifolds fit this engine, is that true? And if yes, what turbos did IDI's come with?

Ideally, I'd like a common T3 on it, wastegated, so that parts to rebuild the turbo if needed, or change A/R housings are easy to come by.

Any insight on this? What will fit behind the engine?

I'm planning on some larger nozzles, such as 520's or even the 764's, if I can get enough boost to burn the fuel.
The lack of EGR is a plus (non-emission state/off road)

Rocketchip custom eeprom is a given. I need to be able to add fuel to match all the new boost.

I have all the materials for a full 2.5" T304 exhaust ready.

Anything I'm missing?

This is the wife's car, she's a bit of a hot rodder, and has complained of the lack of power in this car since we bought it. My intent is to totally surprise her with a rocketship when I'm done.

therabbittree

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 passat, 2000 Golf, 2003 Allroad tdi
Mummn you may look into the kkk turbo froma older 1.6L TD ,,I am swapping one into my sisters car now a '98 tdi..i have a96 pasat i plan on doing if the '98 works well..this particular turbo worked fine up to 35psi on my 1.6L TD it was out of range but never broke..etc..even with no intercooler and 12mm pump it was good..egts were fine too.. it made 134 hp in the 1.6L..i hope it works well in th e98 and if so i'll do my 96 passat up.. im dordering the AN fitting and line tonight..i think some one else did the same swap with mods and likes it..i heard about it second hand and would like to see who did it ?..
Thanks
Deo
\x/ hillfolk!

86turbodsl

Veteran Member
TDI
Do the manifolds swap? Anyone have a photo of the IDI manifold and turbo on a motor?

therabbittree

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 passat, 2000 Golf, 2003 Allroad tdi
yeah the exhaust manifolds swap..to get it to fit i had to clock the compressor housing slitly and i had to grind the stock intank manifold down a little of course the 1.6L TD exhaust manifold doesn't have egr so i got rif of that also..i can take some pics and try to post..in a few days..as soon as I get the AN lines done, they are in the mail, as right now the turbo is off the car..wait a few days..then I'll post some pics.
thanks
Deo

86turbodsl

Veteran Member
TDI
Sweet, I can't wait.

BTW, I did some looking around, and it looks like the T3 45 Trim turbo is perfect for this job... Up to a 3 pressure ratio, and air flow is about right. What turbo are you using again?

20ValveT

Veteran Member
Your gonna find that after 12lbs that wee turbo is going to be pushing alot of hot air. There are far more efficent turbos out there, using an oldskool turbo like that on a newskool TDI is waisting your time.......my 2 cents.

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
Have you seen the size of the turbos in tdi's? They are all babies. Esecially the b4. The 1.6 is actuall physically larger. I'll check to see if the scrolls are similar. It is the blade difference however in these "new school" turbos that makes the difference, in addition the tiny breakable shaft which allows faster spool.

The old turbos have heavy thick shafts and a lot of inertia in the wheels to slow spool. The new ones do not. They all are very tiny though. Look at the 1.8t. Not much different in size from a b4. Hmmmmmmm what are the chances......

86turbodsl

Veteran Member
TDI
Rotational inertia is mostly caused by weight further from the centerline of rotation. The shaft isn't the big lever, the diameter of the wheel is.

86turbodsl

Veteran Member
TDI
So can you bolt a GT20 or VNT17 compressor section on a GT15? I'm hearing that the newer GT series is a lot more efficient. I have no experience with the GT series, and lots with the T series. BTW, I took the turbo apart this morning and found the turbine wheel weld at the shaft had failed. It looked like the weld wasn't very good.