Availability: 15W40 synthetic in Toronto area

rwolff

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet
My car will be eligible for emission testing late this fall (needs it before late next fall, but the certificate is good for a year and I don't want to wait for the last minute), and since it burns a fair bit of oil (classic Mitsubishi 4-cylinder valve seal issue) I want to cut the unburned hydrocarbons when I take it in for testing.

Normally I run a cheap 10W30 dino oil, but my mechanic says that synthetics burn cleaner (in engines that burn oil), and it'll burn a bit less with a slightly thicker oil. The owner's manual lists 10W40 and (not for extreme cold weather use) 20W40 as acceptable grades, so I figured that 15W40 should be a good compromise. 2 years ago, however, I found that my mechanic's supplier didn't carry a 15W40 synthetic (not surprising, since my mechanic deals with gassers).

What is a good 15W40 synthetic that is readily available in the Toronto, Canada area, and has an "SG" or better rating? I've seen some 15W40 (dino) oils that didn't have any "S" ratings (only "C" ratings). Also, if a 15W40 synthetic doesn't have any "S" rating, but has a current "C" rating (such as CI-4), is it likely that it wouldn't meet "SG" standards, or just that they didn't bother with the extra testing because they didn't think anyone with a gas engine would want it?

rwolff

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet
Walmart carries Mobil Delvac 1 15W-40 oil.
From what I've read here (and seen at WallyWorld), there is no such thing as Delvac 1 15W40. There's Delvac 1 5W40 (synthetic) and Delvac 1300 15W40 (dino), with WallyWorld (in Canada) no longer carrying the Delvac 1.

AndyH

Registered Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'97 Passat Wagon 410K RIP
Sure does, Dorf -- 'AME' 15W-40 is a CI-4+ and SL.

If I had a gasser burning oil and needed to pass an emissions test, I'd do a 14USD tune-up -- one can of engine flush folowed by the diesel oil of your choice, half a bottle of AMSOIL PI (or a can or two of Techron) in the fuel tank, and clean the upper engine with a can of AMOSIL Power Foam prior to the oil change. Cleaning the engine will significantly reduce oil burning as long as the rings are sealing at least some. Cleaning the injectors will help with the fuel side. That the engine will run better and get better fuel economy are bonuses.

Andy

Ferrari

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf GLS TDI
Walmart carries Mobil Delvac 1 15W-40 oil. That would be your best bet.
ferrari, that's not a synthetic oil.
Hmm, I thought Delvac 1 was PAO synthetic, whether it's the 5W-40 or 15W-40 variety. I swear I've seen Delvac 1 15W-40 at WalMart, but I could be wrong.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Walmart and CTC in Toronto have Mobil Formula 1 @15W - 50 a totally synthetic at between Cdn $ 7.49 to 7.99 per litre or a 4.4 litre for 33.00 and it is Diesel rated.