auxiliary shaft seal.

garciapiano

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI (1Z)
Effectively, they are all interchangeable. I will be doing Teflon seals all around on the next timing belt.

My reasoning is that the higher in mileage these engines go, the spring seals can wear a pattern into the shaft where they ride that causes the next seal to potentially leak. Whereas Teflon seals are designed to be a “self fitting” sort of seal that adapts to the actual size of the shaft where it interfaces.

Time will tell as far as whether that reasoning is correct... obviously all is dependent on correct installation.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Anyone ever use the teflon cam seal on the aux shaft? Seemed to be the same size so i installed on the AHU going into my 82 westy diesel. Am i the Guinea pig?
I've seen the PTFE version out there but not used it myself.

IIRC for old school rubber seals there is some distinction between the crank / cam seal and the intermediate shaft seal. Some seals are directional and have an arrow that shows this. Some seals for these are bidirectional and show arrows both ways. If you look at the actual sealing surface it will be slightly different for bidirectional movement. Whether it actually makes a difference I cannot say.

Since the cam / crank seal rotate CW versus the intermediate shaft going CCW I think VW believes it warrants a different seal.

Bear in mind that only applies to the old school spring backed seals and not the PTFE.

Steve

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
I've seen the PTFE version out there but not used it myself.

IIRC for old school rubber seals there is some distinction between the crank / cam seal and the intermediate shaft seal. Some seals are directional and have an arrow that shows this. Some seals for these are bidirectional and show arrows both ways. If you look at the actual sealing surface it will be slightly different for bidirectional movement. Whether it actually makes a difference I cannot say.

Since the cam / crank seal rotate CW versus the intermediate shaft going CCW I think VW believes it warrants a different seal.

Bear in mind that only applies to the old school spring backed seals and not the PTFE.

Steve
the ptfe seal i used is non-directional. I guess if it leaks i "chose poorly" 🤣

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
I was only aware of a teflon rear main seal. I installed one, and I’m not having any issues. I installed it dry and let it sit for weeks, while I was waiting for other parts. I’m sure you could get away with 24 hours, lol. The time specification was in the box.

-Todd

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I was only aware of a teflon rear main seal. I installed one, and I’m not having any issues. I installed it dry and let it sit for weeks, while I was waiting for other parts. I’m sure you could get away with 24 hours, lol. The time specification was in the box.

-Todd
I've used the rear main PTFE seal as well, but not yet for the front seals. I still have a box of about 2 dozen old school front seals around so until I work through those there's no need to consider PTFE for anything on the front.

Steve

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Wait a minute, what about the degradation of rubber, that you mentioned, in one of my past posts....?

-Todd

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Wait a minute, what about the degradation of rubber, that you mentioned, in one of my past posts....?

-Todd
I don't remember mentioning anything about degradation of rubber. I'm perfectly happy with the old school seals.

Are you sure this was a comment I made? Maybe it was in relation to something else?

Steve

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
99% sure it was you. Maybe not a seal, but something rubber... belt, grommet, etc. not a huge deal, just bustin’ chops. We do tha5 on the east coast....

-Todd

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
99% sure it was you. Maybe not a seal, but something rubber... belt, grommet, etc. not a huge deal, just bustin’ chops. We do tha5 on the east coast....

-Todd
Honestly, If you can find the post I'd be interested in knowing what it was, cuz I'm almost positive I didn't hit anyone up for degraded rubber parts.

I think something like that I would remember, and I can't imagine why I would do it TBH.

Steve