Auxiliary fuel pump?

offalot

TDI
Caddy M-TDI
Feel a little silly asking this but oh well. I have just about completed my M-Tdi conversion into my caddy but can't get the darn thing running. I've tried cranking the crap out of it, getting it pull started, and now I have an IV looking gravity feed thing going on and still nothing. Being only familiar with IDI Vw motors, it didn't even occur to me until one of my big truck buddys asked me, Do these things take a primary pump? Looking at ebay, looks like they have an in tank. So if this is the case, this definitely sounds like what my problem might be. How have others remedied this? Is there an aftermarket external diesel pump that I can use?
**I apologize if this is in the wrong forum. Figured since it has to do with an MTDI, it is a little off topic from the normal mechanical questions.

Last edited:

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
ahu mtdi samurai swap, 1991 jetta ecodiesel
No the ve motors do not use a lift pump. Try putting a suction on the return side of the pump and sucking pump up through the lines, and through the pump. Did this motor run before installing it? Try putting a tank of fuel above the injection pump and running it that way if that still doesn't work.

offalot

TDI
Caddy M-TDI
Not what I wanted to hear. I pulled a vacuum on the return line over the course if two days, going out periodically to refresh the vacuum. No results. As it sits now I have a gravity fed tank feeding it now but doesn't seem to do it.

offalot

TDI
Caddy M-TDI
Are you sure you got 12 volts to the shutoff solenoid?
Yes, measured it and can hear it click.
Really dd thing is, I loosened the injector nuts and took out the glow plugs, when I cranked it, fuel came squirting out all the right places. Tightened everything p and still nothing.

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
Some electric pumps will actually restrict fuel flow. Next thing to check is your timing. Do you have the pump timed 180° off by chance?

offalot

TDI
Caddy M-TDI
Some electric pumps will actually restrict fuel flow. Next thing to check is your timing. Do you have the pump timed 180° off by chance?
I was super anal with the timing, Finally purchased the dial gauge and adapter kit among other things to hone this one in.
But good news. I got it to pop off yesterday. Since I knew I only had so much fuel in my gravity fed line, I shut it off pretty quickly, but it ran! Which is a big load off beings as I was going off the word of the previous sellers of the TDI block and the overseas rover pump from ebay.
I think the reason it didn't fire during pull starting it a mile was possible restrictions in the fuel line. Just to be safe, tonight I will be cleaning the tank in the first time of my 7 yr ownership, consisting of many gallons of veg.
So hopefully I'll have this thing on the road by the weekend. Woohoo!

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
Cool! My samurai had the same problem. My fuel line had a ball of debris in the end and I wasn't getting proper fuel until I completely removed it.